Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont understand why Tesla Australia arent concerned about their liability with phantom braking. Its been going on for a very long time

Would you prefer phantom collisions? There is no solution here, only tradeoffs. They reduce the likelihood of phantom breaking they will increase the likelihood of collisions with the current perception architecture. Once they have the larger NN for 3D labelling its possible that false positives can be filtered out more accurately.

Would you prefer phantom collisions? There is no solution here, only tradeoffs. They reduce the likelihood of phantom breaking they will increase the likelihood of collisions with the current perception architecture. Once they have the larger NN for 3D labelling its possible that false positives can be filtered out more accurately.
The driver can prevent ‘phantom collisions’. Just Press the brake if about to collide. The driver cannot stop phantom braking, which causes real collisions. Not sure how you stop the false positive of nothing but air in front.

Finally went out for a drive on 36.3 on the Tullamarine Freeway (testing my boy for COVID!). Found that the cruise control seemed to change the speed limits by itself for no apparent reason - possibly under overpasses - but a few times the phantom braking appeared and was associated with a speed limiter change. I hadn't seen this in previous firmware versions.

The driver can prevent ‘phantom collisions’. Just Press the brake if about to collide. The driver cannot stop phantom braking, which causes real collisions. Not sure how you stop the false positive of nothing but air in front.

It’s very difficult to filter out bad radar pings properly. The vision stack with better depth perception will help in this area. For now we are stuck with phantom breaking. The alternative is people not braking thinking the system will and causing accidents.

It’s very difficult to filter out bad radar pings properly. The vision stack with better depth perception will help in this area. For now we are stuck with phantom breaking. The alternative is people not braking thinking the system will and causing accidents.
What sort of lunatic driver would not brake thinking the system will? Not sure what you mean by that.

Finally went out for a drive on 36.3 on the Tullamarine Freeway (testing my boy for COVID!). Found that the cruise control seemed to change the speed limits by itself for no apparent reason - possibly under overpasses - but a few times the phantom braking appeared and was associated with a speed limiter change. I hadn't seen this in previous firmware versions.
There’s a growing network of road tunnels in Sydney, and the nav always thinks I’m driving through suburban streets at 80 km/h where it thinks the speed limit is 40 or 50 and so the speed warning beeps at me relentlessly.

It’s basing its speed limit on what it is at ground level on the nearest street, and yet it seems to use dead-reckoning to work out where in the tunnel you are despite the absence of GPS (although the longer the tunnel, the accuracy gets worse and worse, and eventually it has no idea where you are and the location updates stop).

Only the other day when driving through the cross-city tunnel it thought I was going up Bathurst St, a 40 zone, at 80 km/h. There used to be a joke that when the Government reduced the speed limit in CBD streets from 50 to 40 km/h it was done so that people felt they could drive in the CBD at a speed closer to the limit hence be less frustrated.

Reactions: ICUDoc
2020.36.10 installing now.

Screenshot_20200911-073244.png

Reactions: push2eject
2020.36.10 seemed to give a lovely smooth Autopilot experience last night. Zero phantom braking but a small sample size of 30 minutes.
tried out the chime-on-green thing: its pretty fast, probably under a second so that's reasonable. I wouldn't rely on it, but its quicker than I expected.
Voice commands have been consistently excellent on my new (year old) car- the previous one kept having trouble. I think it is a hardware issue in cars from that time (Post-Mobileye, pre MCU2)- they cobble the software into shape so the computer can JUST keep up, then the next update once again puts it beyond capabilities. Tesla kinda dropped the ball for a couple of years prior to MCU2 cars coming out, I think.
Any Australians got their hardware updated?

I just became real un-excited with this update. Nearly ended up with a Hilux lodged firmly in the back seat of my SR+. We were cruising through a set of lights and the car mis-interpreted/confused a green 'straight' light with a red 'arrow' light to the right of it. It slammed the brakes on mid way through the lights and thus nearly ended up getting rear-ended. Car behind us locked up and must have missed us by mere mm's. Unimpressed to say the least.

I just became real un-excited with this update. Nearly ended up with a Hilux lodged firmly in the back seat of my SR+. We were cruising through a set of lights and the car mis-interpreted/confused a green 'straight' light with a red 'arrow' light to the right of it. It slammed the brakes on mid way through the lights and thus nearly ended up getting rear-ended. Car behind us locked up and must have missed us by mere mm's. Unimpressed to say the least.

Eeeeeek, sounds scary. But hey, it does say (Beta) seems its still a bit too Beta to be safe. Seems a lot of general problems around when emergency braking occurs.

If they are too lenient in the forward direction you risk slamming into something, else your rear end gets slammed into. Which end of the car do you want the algorithm to bias? ... I guess there is less chance of you getting rear ended than slamming front on into something if there car isn't sure what to do in a particular situation. Best you keep driving the car at this stage.
It's concerning that they are not already carefully differentiating between signals as it is commonplace to have green signals and stop arrows (and vise versa) in the same light array.

Last edited:
Reactions: MonicaPlease
In this case, it wasn't about phantom braking based on perception that a car was in front. As I was being thrust forward into the steering wheel from the heavy braking, I briefly saw the red line across the screen as per when a red light was seen along with the 'stopping for red light' icon on the screen. Not really much I could do about it though as it happened so quickly/aggressively whilst doing 70km/hour. All I could do was boot the throttle (for the lack of a better word) and pray my reactions were quick enough to not get rear-ended.

It's clearly misinterpreting the pedestrian guideline at the far side of the intersection as a stop line. Couple that with the misperception of a red light (even an arrow) right next to that stop line, and voila.

I've left that rubbish switched off until they localise it for Australia. Especially since I cart around a lot of Uber riders every weekend, and I'd rather they never experienced that.