Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's (year).(week).(release).(subrevision)

The date part identifies when the code for the version was branched off the main line of development. The release is a sequential number within that branch of development, so 2021.3.103 is the 103rd revision of the code that was branch in week 3 of 2021.

It's quite possible that 2021.3.103 has more recent changes than some later-branched code like 2021.12.25 - for example 2021.3.105 was first seen in the wild by the Teslafi firmware tracker on 26/7/2021. Releases are not rolled out to the fleet all in one go though.
It is unclear why some cars get some updates and other do not, so far seems mostly random. My car is still on 2021.4.18.2 which was applied after 2021.4.18. However for my car the newer software appears to be more problematic than the one before that. Fortunately there is always a newer version coming and within few months I hope to be on a newer version that might fix the issues that the current one introduced.
For me the updates have mostly been good but there has been 1-2 every year that have had issues like this 2021.4.18.2, the bright side is that usually within 1-2 months they move on to a next release that fixes the issues, though the release interval seems to have slowed considerably for me this year as I am on 3rd update this year, where last year on average I had one per month.

I have just gotten the 2021.12.25.7 update as well and am sitting in my car running the update. So a newbie question here as I’ve only had the car a couple of days and this is my first. Is it normal for all sorts of whining, buzzing and most distressingly, clunking noises to be coming from under my car while this is updating?

Is it normal for all sorts of whining, buzzing and most distressingly, clunking noises to be coming from under my car while this is updating?

Yes. My car is next to my study and I can hear the buzzing/clunking/etc clearly.
You get use to it after the first few times...
This morning I did my 35th install since having the car and actually sat in it for the first time in a long time.
Most of the time I just kick off the update when I'm remote to the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: muddie
My car normally lives in a shared apartment building parking area.
Earlier on you couldn’t trigger an update remotely via the app so I mostly did it on the weekend whe I was in the Southern Highlands, then at some time they introduced triggering the update from the app.
One of the first times I applied an update remotely, the car was in the shared apartment garage and I got a text from the Chairman of the Owners Corporation telling me that my car was flashing it’s lights and making all sorts of strange noises. :oops:
Shock of the new, I guess. Now I think they just ignore it. :cool:

Reactions: moa999 and dyde