Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep FSD enabled cars definitely get SW updates faster. Of course Tesla is not gonna say it authoritativelyThat could be simply because an update pertains and only pushes to FSD cars.
If actually true, this could simply be explained by some updates only being relevant and pushed to FSD enabled cars. This has the effect of reducing the avr number of days between updates (receiving updates faster).

I'm not sure that's true. I have the FSD option on my S (Raven), and I haven't received an update since June 8th, I'm still on 2021.4.18.2. According to Teslafi, there are several other cars with (as far as Teslafi knows) same config as mine, who have received 6 updates since then... My average time between updates is 12 days, and I get them on average within 1-2 days of them being out.

Reactions: ARMARM
@cafz Teslafi doesn't know whether the cars are FSD or not. But my case of

a) having the latest available hardware
b) having FSD and
c) having been skipped for 6 updates in a row

would be strongly counter indicative of the hypothesis that FSD cars get more updates. It could of course be a fluke. Kinda like a rare cancer. The odds are low of it happening, but hey, surprise, 🥳🥳🥳 you got it!

Reactions: OzVic
In software development, new builds are typically rolled out in "waves" and each wave is bigger in size than the last but requires more automated metrics to be successful before moving up.

For example, you may want to roll out a new build of Facebook, what you would do is roll this out a few thousand people and wait until the success rate of http requests is high enough to move onto the next wave and so on. This ensures that obvious bugs are caught early and rarer bugs that only occur in the 0.1% of cases are caught before it hits everybody.

Tesla most likely have a similar concept of waves except the members of each wave are based on diversity in the pool. You may get some people who drive lots, or some people that charge frequently at super chargers or people that use NoAP a lot. This way, each wave has the highest possibility of catching bugs before progressing onto the next wave as the diversity is as high as possible.

Depending on the severity of the bug, a particular software version can be halted at its current wave and then superseded by a new build. This would mean that those on a certain version would get prioritised over others.

So this is just a long winded way of saying that its not likely to be a simple case of 'FSD' owners getting builds earlier than others, its just a pattern we seem to observe given the strategy of rollouts.

@moa999 I'm on 2021.4.18.2. According to Teslafi, all other Model S Performance have received these updates after me (in reverse chronological order, latest on top):

But 2021.4.18.2 is still the major version with almost 50% of cars still on it.

All the other versions are very limited release sub 2%.
2021.4.18.11 reached about 20% but is now back to 15%
2021.12.25.6 seems to be the next wide release. Currently at 18% with about another 4% pending.

Fair point - I have however only been skipped very rarely even for minor releases. My last dozen updates:

Probably worthwhile mentioning that not a single one of those updates brought fixes to the many usability improvement suggestions I have made to them, nor did they fix any bugs that I ever noticed.