Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Along with 0.4% of Model 3s, My Non FSD is sitting thirteen versions back on 2021.12.25.7. 61 days since my last update! Of course I have advanced turned on and had what I considered to be an average Skymuster WiFi internet connection. Not overly fussed, but I do wonder it Tesla have reasons to keep a handful of cars on legacy builds for reference use of some sort.

Today Elon has provided me with new set of wheels and souped up my internet to Starlink. Car is now seeing 211Mbps when parked in the shed. Will be interesting to see if this jolts it into a firmware update.

View attachment 719422
Starlink is great but hasn't helped my updates. 68 days and counting! I spoke with Tesla after lodging a service request. No stalled updates and no updates for my VIN. I should get the next major release in a timely manner whenever it appears. They agreed that the system probably does leave a handful of cars on older builds for reference purposes. Will be interesting to see if the time between my updates normalises when I finally see one and someone else becomes the patsy for a while. I will just forget about it for now and go back to enjoying my new internet connection :)

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
2021 has been much slower cadence than 2020.

Seems that the first limited rollout of 2021.36 has stopped. Expecting a new version next week, then full rollout the following.

It's a strange period at the moment as we have the v11/FSD being tested, and different new graphics on the US S/X.

At some point all the branches will merge.

I know that this release was great for people who welcomed the settable charge rate from the phone app.
For me, it has actually been a big pain. However I doubt there is much I can do about it.
I have a solar system plus two home built LFP batteries (12kwhrs and 6kwhrs). Any excess solar goes into the batteries rather than being exported to the grid.
I also have an OpenEVSE which has been fantastic in that I use it to take my excess solar and put it into either my Zoe or Model 3LR.
When there is limited solar (so EV charging is inefficient), I put it into the batteries and I can then use the larger one to charge the EVs with a 5kw inverter.
The OpenEVSE worked fine until the latest car firmware. (Still works fine with the Zoe but no longer the Tesla).
Basically, the OpenEVSE (which is wonderful, online via WiFi and has more bells and whistles than just about any other EVSE), modulates the pilot signal within limits and has settable timers for stopping charge and configurable smoothing (e.g. when the sun disappears for too long). But the Tesla is now doing its own setting of maximum pilot amps, based on what it is seeing from the EVSE. So the two devices fight each other and most of the time, the Tesla turns off the charge.
It would be great if the new feature could be enabled or disabled in the App. I know it is great for people without OpenEVSEs or Zappis or the equivalent but I would prefer the new feature to be turn-offable (to coin a phrase).

Reactions: ICUDoc
I know that this release was great for people who welcomed the settable charge rate from the phone app.
For me, it has actually been a big pain. However I doubt there is much I can do about it.
I have a solar system plus two home built LFP batteries (12kwhrs and 6kwhrs). Any excess solar goes into the batteries rather than being exported to the grid.
I also have an OpenEVSE which has been fantastic in that I use it to take my excess solar and put it into either my Zoe or Model 3LR.
When there is limited solar (so EV charging is inefficient), I put it into the batteries and I can then use the larger one to charge the EVs with a 5kw inverter.
The OpenEVSE worked fine until the latest car firmware. (Still works fine with the Zoe but no longer the Tesla).
Basically, the OpenEVSE (which is wonderful, online via WiFi and has more bells and whistles than just about any other EVSE), modulates the pilot signal within limits and has settable timers for stopping charge and configurable smoothing (e.g. when the sun disappears for too long). But the Tesla is now doing its own setting of maximum pilot amps, based on what it is seeing from the EVSE. So the two devices fight each other and most of the time, the Tesla turns off the charge.
It would be great if the new feature could be enabled or disabled in the App. I know it is great for people without OpenEVSEs or Zappis or the equivalent but I would prefer the new feature to be turn-offable (to coin a phrase).
The latest version doesnt send excess solar to the car like a zappi. It only allows the charge amps to be manually adjusted from the tesla app.

The new functionality is just supposed to change the car's maximum charge current, just like you could change it on the charging screen in the car the whole time. If you leave it on max current it should behave just as it always has.

So it sounds like there's some other coincident issue.

If the EVSE reduces the Pilot Amps, then the App also drops the maximum that you can set- it might go as low as 5 amps. When the EVSE tries to increase it, the car will not accept more. Finally, the car will increase the maximum, but not all the way and after too long a time. So they fight with each other and you end up with wildly oscillating charging.

The new functionality is just supposed to change the car's maximum charge current, just like you could change it on the charging screen in the car the whole time. If you leave it on max current it should behave just as it always has.
Not the enhancement to the HWC but the ability to change charging current. That's a new feature with 2021.36. Basically it has been added to the Tesla app (4.x) but in order for it to be in the app, it is also in the API.

The app is supposed to just change the setting like changing it in the car screen would (the car screen also has a maximum you can set it to), so if the car screen never had the problem then it sounds like a bug in app rather than a need for an off switch.

Do you still see the problem if you log the app out?

I don't know about the logging out- I did not try that. However, when I exitted the App (so it timed out- ie was not active), the car stopped charging completely about five minutes later (the car stopped the charge, not the EVSE which I was monitoring). I'm just going to give up on it now. It used to work as it does with the Zoe, until the update. I only posted this to alert others about it. For now, I am just setting the EVSE on a fixed charge for the Tesla and then the extra headroom between that and the peak solar is going into my LFP batteries which can soak up between 50watts and 2.5kw between them. Not quite as efficient as it was, but will do for now.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
@doggy1 ...
I plugged my car into my Gen 2 HPWC today for the first time in probably 4 months.
The car started charging and then stopped with a message Charge connector update in progress
I wonder if Tesla have updated the HPWC also in a way that is causing issues with the EVSE?
btw, first time I have ever seen (or even heard about) the HPWC getting updates.

@Everyone...
I see TeslaFi has 2021.36.5 ramping out today.... 533 and counting... biggest oneday rollout I have seen in a while.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: doggy1
@doggy1 ...
I plugged my car into my Gen 2 HPWC today for the first time in probably 4 months.
The car started charging and then stopped with a message Charge connector update in progress
I wonder if Tesla have updated the HPWC also in a way that is causing issues with the EVSE?
btw, first time I have ever seen (or even heard about) the HPWC getting updates.

@Everyone...
I see TeslaFi has 2021.36.5 ramping out today.... 533 and counting... biggest oneday rollout I have seen in a while.
I recieved 36.5 yesterday. Bug fixes.

I was getting the prompt for 2021.36 few days ago but didn’t get a chance to update as the car was with a detailer and when I. Hecker later the update prompt had disappeared. Has the update been pulled back by Tesla due to the reported bugs? Have those bugs now been fixed for most part?