Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isnt the grand plan to use the starlink satelites to control cars to deliver autonomous driving? Hence mobility of the internet should come from starlink, presumably making the nbn worthless. Might be a while though.
Satellite systems have extremely limited bandwidth capabilities compared to terrestrial systems. The difference with Starlink and similar systems being developed now is that they are in low- or medium-earth orbits not geostationary, and consist of hundreds or thousands of satellites, and not one. Therefore the total customer base that can be serviced can be scaled with the number of satellites.

But it’s still limited by the laws of physics, the power capability of each satellite, and total spectrum allocation for the satellite to ground leg. Starlink has 250 MHz of spectrum for their transmit and receive channels at 11.2 and 12.2 GHz. There is only so much data that can be pumped through that.

The total capacity of even LEO satellite systems are probably a tiny fraction of the capacity of the terrestrial mobile network, which is turn only has about 10% the capacity of the fixed network (NBN, etc). A growing amount of international traffic goes on submarine optical fibres these days, simply due to their much larger capacity, along with much lower latency than traditional geostationary satellite systems.

Skymuster was always going to be a terrible solution for anything requiring low-ish latency. The geostationary orbit is ~35'000km up, so the signal travel time alone at light speed without any switching is taking about 250ms for the full trip.
Starlink uses LEO satellites at 550 km altitude, so the roundtrip airgap latency on Starlink is about 4ms. This does not include processing delays in coding and decoding transmitted and received data packets, and forwarding them to their destination.

Our NBN satellite latency is upwards of 700ms. Car doesn't seem to mind, still gets updates.
The government would love to offload rural satellite to other providers such as Starlink to avoid development costs of the Skymuster replacements (~16 year lifespan, ~ 10 years to go) and make it easier to eventually flog NBN.

On a more relevant note, I have just figured out how to activate bio-weapon defence mode from the app (2021.36), I am sure being able to remotely activate it will be useful at some stage (probably next bushfire).

Reactions: Hairyman
Latency is the killer with all these types of technologies..great for some situations but I am still going to go cable/fibre etc. whenever possible in a fixed location when available...my crappy NBN 250/25 HFC connection has a latency 5-10ms, no way I am something that is 10-20 higher latent for a home situation.
Depends on latency from where to where. If you are measuring latency to your upstream router or a host in the same carrier network then obviously cable will be much faster.

If you are measuring latency across from say SYD to LAX then depending on the number of sats and their arrangement, starlink may actually be lower latency that using trans oceanic cables.

If you are measuring latency across from say SYD to LAX then depending on the number of sats and their arrangement, starlink may actually be lower latency that using trans oceanic cables.
As currently configured, Starlink passes your signal to an Earth Station within the footprint of the satellite.

For south-eastern Australia, that means your signal is going via Boorowa, Cobargo or Torrumbarry - and thence via the usual submarine cables to get to the USA.

There is speculation about future satellite-to-satellite routing, but it doesn't do that right now.

Reactions: Vostok
Starlink uses LEO satellites at 550 km altitude, so the roundtrip airgap latency on Starlink is about 4ms...
It is normally in the range of 5-7ms as you have overlooked the slant range. You only get 4ms while the sat is passing right over the top of you. I am at the southern tip of Victoria & my system is often using satellites South of Tasmania.
Precisely. The latest batch of sats that went up are the first full set to have the sat to sat laser links installed. People are speculating that the low latency this system will achieve will be highly sought after by some areas of the financial system.

As currently configured, Starlink passes your signal to an Earth Station within the footprint of the satellite.
For south-eastern Australia, that means your signal is going via Boorowa, Cobargo or Torrumbarry - and thence via the usual submarine cables to get to the USA.
Quite a few more earth stations than that in SE Aus now. Ten that I can count and I see my system using about Five of them.

Seems my new fast connection has not jolted my Car into updating any. 64 days and counting. I wonder if I can make it to being the last Teslafi user on 2021.12.25.7

speculating that the low latency this system will achieve will be highly sought after by some areas of the financial system.

Heard that speculation, but small use case.

Having your trading computer next to the exchange is going to be far quicker.. and the financial companies pay big money for this.

There might be a small amount of money in arb between exchanges but on the whole the main markets follow the sun and aren't open at the same time.

Seems my new fast connection has not jolted my Car into updating any. 64 days and counting. I wonder if I can make it to being the last Teslafi user on 2021.12.25.7
You could probably ring Tesla up and get them to push an update to your car. It’s possible that something is wrong and they need to un-stick it. I had an update once that got stuck downloading half-way, I rang Tesla and they un-stuck it.

My Powerwall has been stuck on 1.47.0 for over a year. I rang Tesla up and they said they can push an update to it, but they won’t because they said someone needs to be onsite while they do it in case they brick it.

I don’t know if there’s a similar risk with vehicle updates but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

You could probably ring Tesla up and get them to push an update to your car. It’s possible that something is wrong and they need to un-stick it. I had an update once that got stuck downloading half-way, I rang Tesla and they un-stuck it.

My Powerwall has been stuck on 1.47.0 for over a year. I rang Tesla up and they said they can push an update to it, but they won’t because they said someone needs to be onsite while they do it in case they brick it.

I don’t know if there’s a similar risk with vehicle updates but it doesn’t hurt to ask.
Im with you on this. I’ve hadstuck car updates twice requiring errors to be cleared by tesla. Also I wish there was a feature to turn off powerwall updates. They make no noticable difference other than I lost a month of data.

I got 2021.36 yesterday (no change to maps). However after 20km driving in miserable weather, the windscreen wipers behaved perfectly. This update specifically mentioned that as an improvement, so very good so far in a range of increasing/decreasing/heavy/light/no rain.
I didn't see anything about the wipers, but I did find today they worked far better than the last couple of years, even giving a single wipe with very light drizzle.

Reactions: paulp
I’m on 2021.32.21. I’m hanging out for .36 for the charge rate function. Are you guys FSD?
I have .36 (yesterday). Not fsd. After 24 hours I think the charge rate function is one of the best releases tesla have ever done. Just a shame someone didnt work out that it always drops or gains an amp after you set what you want, but easy fixed by going one amp higher or lower. I’m sure it will be dealt with in a bug fix update. Now they just need to do variable charging based on solar export, but less clunky on/off than other options have done. Something more seamless like the way pw2 works.

I'm afraid I can't share other's wiper enthusiasms on .36... in fact, the wipers appear far more enthusiastic than I do. A light drizzle prompts them to go full speed ahead. And when doing that at > 70 km/h (ish), the wipers on turnaround are flopping madly taking a big jump off the windshield. Quite the spectacle.

I'm afraid I can't share other's wiper enthusiasms on .36... in fact, the wipers appear far more enthusiastic than I do. A light drizzle prompts them to go full speed ahead. And when doing that at > 70 km/h (ish), the wipers on turnaround are flopping madly taking a big jump off the windshield. Quite the spectacle.
Model S Performance = Performance speed wipers. Mine’s SR+ = Standard speed.