Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes fair point, my English is a bit poor with explanation, I blame months on months of homeschooling. Not exactly phantom if it can see something 😂. I just find the pedestrian/cyclist braking very aggressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never had much of a phantom braking problem in and around Sydney
I’ve never had any problem with phantom braking in Sydney, but that’s because I almost never turn TACC on when driving within the metro area 😄. On the rare occasions I do turn it on in Sydney, it’s when driving on a motorway and I want to minimise the risk of getting pinged for speeding if there’s not a lot of traffic. Not once have I ever turned TACC on driving on suburban streets/roads/highways.

I’ve never had any problem with phantom braking in Sydney, but that’s because I almost never turn TACC on when driving within the metro area 😄. On the rare occasions I do turn it on in Sydney, it’s when driving on a motorway and I want to minimise the risk of getting pinged for speeding if there’s not a lot of traffic. Not once have I ever turned TACC on driving on suburban streets/roads/highways.
I'm at 123,000km and most of that was on AP/Autosteer, including suburban main roads - but only on roads with acceptably wide lane widths and gentle curves. Autosteer has a nasty habit of understeering.

A bad example is the Princes Highway between Sylvania and Blakehurst. Those lanes are too narrow & the curves too tight. Especially the right lane northbound right as you exit the old bridge, with that jersey barrier and the sudden veer to the left. You have to stagger yourself so cars next to you are either slightly in front or slightly behind you. Autosteer never does that.

Well, except on divided rural highways when it slams on the brakes hard at intersections if there's a vehicle next to you. Like the Hume Highway south of Sutton Forest.

Reactions: Vostok
I'm at 123,000km and most of that was on AP/Autosteer, including suburban main roads - but only on roads with acceptably wide lane widths and gentle curves. Autosteer has a nasty habit of understeering.

A bad example is the Princes Highway between Sylvania and Blakehurst. Those lanes are too narrow & the curves too tight. Especially the right lane northbound right as you exit the old bridge, with that jersey barrier and the sudden veer to the left. You have to stagger yourself so cars next to you are either slightly in front or slightly behind you. Autosteer never does that.

Well, except on divided rural highways when it slams on the brakes hard at intersections if there's a vehicle next to you. Like the Hume Highway south of Sutton Forest.
I find the middle lane is a lot less scarier but it still has a habit of getting really close to the right lane going northbound, southbound I found a lot better on those S bends

Its interesting hearing the different experiences with the Autosteering (Beta). Personally, when I first got the M3 little over 2 years ago, I had phantom breaking happening pretty much every day. Mostly on M1 when approaching bridges. Then after few months of updates most of the phantom breaking incidents disappeared, and after about 6 months I barely had any. Now over the last year I have had only 3-4 phantom breaking incidents, usually after an update and that vanishes after next update and none since the car got 2021.32.21 and 2021.36.5.5 updates.
It is likely that the location and driving habits play a role, but here on Gold Coast, I use Autosteering pretty much anywhere I go and it appears to handle most things with no issues.

It seemed like I hadn't had any phantom braking for ages but on Saturday I had a doozy! It was overcast, so no definite shadows. I had the TACC set to 110km/h and was not using autosteer. Follow distance set to maximum of 7. I was a long way from the cars in front. All of a sudden I'm down to 90km/h! It has been a while since it last happened and so I was not prepared for it.

I also had a situation where I was driving on the M5. I was in the right lane overtaking a ute with a canopy in the centre lane. He was wholly in his lane and was wholly in my lane. There was not even the slightest change of a collision. The car started beeping at me and fiddling with the steering. It displayed some message in small print that I couldn't read but I'm assuming it was something about taking corrective action. It has to be one of the dumbest features of the car! So, lets say it was a real situation, why the F*** would I be wanting to divert my attention from the road to read some dumb message on the display?

The car updated to 2021.36.5.5 the other day and went for a 4 hour drive yesterday, a mix of city, rural highway and freeway. Phantom breaking is at least as bad as it always has been, possibly worse. The only scenario I think I can safely use cruise control is multi-lane freeway.

The car updated to 2021.36.5.5 the other day and went for a 4 hour drive yesterday, a mix of city, rural highway and freeway. Phantom breaking is at least as bad as it always has been, possibly worse. The only scenario I think I can safely use cruise control is multi-lane freeway.
Yep. That’s the only time I use it. Even then, occasional phantom braking happens.

Because all my European cars have had speed limiters which I used all the time (including on the Zoe) and Tesla does not (Americans don't seem to go for them), I have taken to using TACC much of the time in my suburban area, on the bigger roads and have been very happy with it as a sort of substitute. I NEVER thought I would be using a "cruise control" in local areas! I have had phantom braking once or twice in about 700km (maybe 50% using TACC). I have my first long trip planned for a few weeks time so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

I wonder if its because we don't have the boombox in ours (used for broadcasting your voice via the APP)
Looks like the main thing is Sentry Mode Live so I'm not sure why the need for a boombox.

@atj777 Try paying attention to how it draws the cars around you. I often find cars drawn over the lane dividers (on my side) that are perfectly centred in their lanes in real life. I don't think that's just a visualisation problem because my car, like yours, sometimes freaks out about other cars it thinks are nearby, but clearly are nowhere close. I wonder if that's beacause we're right hand drive here - and they're using some kludge like mirrored video from LHD footage to train the neural net. I hope not.

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc
@atj777 Try paying attention to how it draws the cars around you. I often find cars drawn over the lane dividers (on my side) that are perfectly centred in their lanes in real life. I don't think that's just a visualisation problem because my car, like yours, sometimes freaks out about other cars it thinks are nearby, but clearly are nowhere close. I wonder if that's beacause we're right hand drive here - and they're using some kludge like mirrored video from LHD footage to train the neural net. I hope not.
Yeah, in this case the "ute with a canopy" was being displayed as a "big truck" and it was hovering in my lane - even though it clearly wasn't.

This is why I'm glad I didn't waste my money on the FSB beta and have no interest in it at all.