Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not understanding why people are saying the new screen layout is a drivers distraction. I dont use my (model s) screen whilst driving. Aircon is adjusted by the right scroll wheel and calls are made 6 times until it works via the voice joke. If I have nav active thats also set before I drive usually via my diary, and I’ll view the big map as required. I have no other resson to use the screen whilst in motion.

It seems coming to terms with the new interface is a matter of using work arounds from learning its behaviour rather than from our default expectation.
Similar complaints were made around 5 years ago when tesla changed from its traditional circular speedo on the drivers screen. (which was very compact and easy to read). There was outrage, but it eventually subsided as everyone got used to the new version.
I notice other companies such as mercedes allow EQ owners to select the look of how they want their screen from a series of options

Similar complaints were made around 5 years ago when tesla changed from its traditional circular speedo on the drivers screen. (which was very compact and easy to read). There was outrage, but it eventually subsided as everyone got used to the new version.
I notice other companies such as mercedes allow EQ owners to select the look of how they want their screen from a series of options
Yes. I quite agree. I’ll be spending a few days to understand the new design before having an overall initial opinion. At the moment it is not good or bad, just different. I had great fun with the Lightshow Easter egg today

I'm coming around to the new interface quite quickly. Personally, I think the speedo display area is less cluttered and easier to quickly read as you're driving.
A few small other positive improvements: there's now a search button for music when the player is in it's shortest height mode, homelink control as moved to the bottom right corner when needed and the navigate on AP button takes up far less real estate.

I was getting excited about the blind spot video with turn signals but I think there should be an option to only use it when changing lanes on multilane roads, not at intersections etc.

They really need to open source the entire UI bit. We can do a hell of a lot better than they can - and more importantly, their engineering team can then focus on what's under the hood. And leaveUI options to us.

@Vostok one of the major 5G improvements over 4G is the low latency - if you go pure 5G that is. no aussie provider does this to date, they're all on 4G backbones hence lose the order of magnitude latency improvement. But, that lower latency then opens new opportunities such as cars talking to each other and coordinate driving in each other's slipstream with mere cms bumper to bumper - that actually was one of the use cases demonstrated many years ago when 3GPP met to discuss the first draft release of the 5G standard.

Darned if I know what happened to that idea....

I'm coming around to the new interface quite quickly. Personally, I think the speedo display area is less cluttered and easier to quickly read as you're driving.
A few small other positive improvements: there's now a search button for music when the player is in it's shortest height mode, homelink control as moved to the bottom right corner when needed and the navigate on AP button takes up far less real estate.

I was getting excited about the blind spot video with turn signals but I think there should be an option to only use it when changing lanes on multilane roads, not at intersections etc.
Yeah, I’m liking the blind spot video.

Does anyone open the glovebox enough for it to be 1 in 4 buttons (or even 1 in 6 if extended)..

The point is to give people the option. Now Microsoft isn’t normally considered the North Star for UI design, but its apps have icons for almost every menu function, no matter how buried, that can be added to the toolbar if the user so desires for one-click access. Tesla needs to do the same, and have space for more than 4 customisable icons at the bottom of the screen.

I suspect this updates UI was designed by someone who went for good looks instead of usability or usefulness and in a car

That’s a disease that infects a lot of UI design.

It’s like a house that an architect designs primarily so that it looks funky and cutting-edge in a photo shoot for the architecture magazine they aspire to be featured in - but is horrible and non-functional to actually live in.

The point is to give people the option. Now Microsoft isn’t normally considered the North Star for UI design, but its apps have icons for almost every menu function, no matter how buried, that can be added to the toolbar if the user so desires for one-click access. Tesla needs to do the same, and have space for more than 4 customisable icons at the bottom of the screen.

windows in oldschool mode (no grouping, small taskbar) is still the standard for workflow.

Reactions: bay74
The bit I'll find most annoying is removal of quick access to the driver profile menu. If my wife unlocks the car but I'm driving - or vice-versa - I have to manually switch it back to my profile every time I get in.

That’s reason enough for me to not install this update. My wife’s phone always wins - every single time - even if she’s metres behind me. I have to race to be actually sitting in the drivers seat before she gets anywhere near the car in order to prevent her phone taking over and moving the seat, steering wheel and mirrors 😄

Having to dive into the menus every time to re-select my profile is a deal-breaker for this update.

I’ll wait until Tesla re-instates profile name on the home screen.

Reactions: bay74
I’ll wait until Tesla re-instates profile name on the home screen.
I have the same problem. With easy entry, I get in (no probs) then proceed to be crushed as the seat and wheel move because my wife is a lot smaller than I am. Previously, it was a very quick touch on the profile and reselect myself and all fixed only 50% through the crushing process! Now, I suspect it will be further into the crushing process before I can correct things.

I assume you have yourself as the priority profile in the settings? I do and this usually happens when my wife is in front and presumably her Bluetooth gets picked up before mine.