Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been "saved by the bell" a few times now at traffic lights when I was dozing/inattentive/being a moron while sitting there and not noticing the light turns. The dings come quick enough that they supersede the honk from behind. :)

But at intersections with combined arrow lights with one green and another red at the same time, it doesn't work at all really.

And the LED speed signs inside tunnels it likes to see as traffic lights also, causing momentary braking action every 200m or however often these repeat. Super annoying. And a little bit embarrassing. Car drives like Helmut the taxi driver from the movie "Night on earth". Ok. I just really dated myself. Haha.
chime is a great feature i reckon, but only if you're first in line at the lights. found it flaky when 3-4 cars back.

How do you know it was reading them and not changing based on gps data?
You can see the car reading the signs, as it displays the sign on screen when it reads it. Weather it uses that or GPS map data for any action though is another matter. That seems random and not consistent. Mine seems to have occasionally read and actioned signs on busses and moving vehicles and actioned them. It is really bad when you are on M1 and catch up to a traffic control ute that has been picking up temporary signs and there is a 40 sign visible from behind it on its tray and car hits the breaks in 100 zone to slow down to 40. I would say that qualifies as not GPS data. Has happened to me twice in 3 years with this exact scenario. The LED signs though have only been detected and displayed by car on one occasion I have noticed, and at that time was not actioned either.

I had the impression that the car does not pick up the LED signs well because of flicker rates in the LED signs and frame rates in the camera. Apparently this is a tricky thing to sort out. There have been some suggestions that newer camera hardware is a fix for this, but software solutions are not easy.

You can see the car reading the signs, as it displays the sign on screen when it reads it. Weather it uses that or GPS map data for any action though is another matter. That seems random and not consistent. Mine seems to have occasionally read and actioned signs on busses and moving vehicles and actioned them. It is really bad when you are on M1 and catch up to a traffic control ute that has been picking up temporary signs and there is a 40 sign visible from behind it on its tray and car hits the breaks in 100 zone to slow down to 40. I would say that qualifies as not GPS data. Has happened to me twice in 3 years with this exact scenario. The LED signs though have only been detected and displayed by car on one occasion I have noticed, and at that time was not actioned either.
It displays the sign on the screen when it either reads it or passes a known gps point. We dont really know which it has responded to as both should occur together. I’ve gone past plenty of roadworks covered signs that it still ‘reads’ at the right moment. It was not read or react to the standard 25kmh roadworks signs in SA

Has anyone noticed after 20.6 update, that speed limits not being picked up directly? Especially school zones?
Or dropping down to 40 way after zone is complete and it’s switched back to 60
Was unable to test the lights chime
I wonder how many sec it’s been set by default before it chimes
The worst experience is not reading a NT 130 zone as 130, but 30!. Makes autosteer unusable.

It displays the sign on the screen when it either reads it or passes a known gps point. We dont really know which it has responded to as both should occur together. I’ve gone past plenty of roadworks covered signs that it still ‘reads’ at the right moment. It was not read or react to the standard 25kmh roadworks signs in SA
I can confirm that mine reads the signs as I have seen that in same place depending on time of day it reads a 70 sign as 70 if the sun is behind the car, but if the sun is behind a tree throwing shade on the sign, it seems to read it as 45 sign and display 45 on the scree, which does seem strange to me but confirms that the number does not come from GPS and map data. On occasion when sun is behind the sign at same spot it does not show any sign on screen, so it seems the sign reading is not really reliable. This is one specific location 700 meters from my house and its pretty consistent with those scenarios, but i have noticed similar behavior at other locations also here on Gold Coast.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazygrunt
I had the impression that the car does not pick up the LED signs well because of flicker rates in the LED signs and frame rates in the camera. Apparently this is a tricky thing to sort out. There have been some suggestions that newer camera hardware is a fix for this, but software solutions are not easy.
I think you are correct. The issue is pretty obvious if you look at dashcam footage of those gantry LEDS speed signs on the freeways,

Reactions: Hairyman
It always downloads whenever it has connectivity, it's the installation once it's downloaded that prompts you to schedule it or trigger it manually.
Yes, I've had both in the past, but I agree, lately it's downloaded without prompting. Anyway, .8 tells me that it's offering the tyre reset thingy and that's all. I'm guessing a problem may have been apparent with .7 so they've sent a fix pretty promptly.

I can confirm that mine reads the signs as I have seen that in same place depending on time of day it reads a 70 sign as 70 if the sun is behind the car, but if the sun is behind a tree throwing shade on the sign, it seems to read it as 45 sign and display 45 on the scree, which does seem strange to me but confirms that the number does not come from GPS and map data. On occasion when sun is behind the sign at same spot it does not show any sign on screen, so it seems the sign reading is not really reliable. This is one specific location 700 meters from my house and its pretty consistent with those scenarios, but i have noticed similar behavior at other locations also here on Gold Coast.
So if that is the case, and the sun is impacting the speed the car thinks it can go, the isn’t a camera based self driving system deeply flawed if not impossible?

So if that is the case, and the sun is impacting the speed the car thinks it can go, the isn’t a camera based self driving system deeply flawed if not impossible?
The rumor has it that the FSD runs different code base than the autopilot and is supposed to be way better, but from what I gather that better code is just for regions where they have enabled FSD beta, I suspect AU market has rather low chance of getting it any time soon and the code base running here currently would most definitely not be suitable for autonomous driving. The sign detection is way off on even markings on the road are read randomly wrong, such as "M1 Sth" has consistently been read as "STOP" for me. At least that has been my experience.
1659789845810.png

Anyone on 2022.20.8 noticed that their left scroll wheel button is not working properly, when trying to skip tracks?

Either the update has introduced a new feature, where you need to long push the scroll wheel to the right to change a song or it has introduced a new bug :mad:

I came across another hiccup on 2022.20.7 today. Parked the car in garage, got out of the car and closed the driver door, grabbed the Tesla charger and pressed the button on the handle to open charging port. Nothing happened, tried again, still nothing. After 5 tries, thought maybe car went to sleep, so opened the car boot and tried again 4-5 times, still no reaction from the car. So walked around car to the driver door. Opened driver door, it took about 2 seconds and then the car screen came back on and the button on my charger handle finally triggered the charging port to open. It was like the moment I closed the car door, it went to sleep and would not wake from the charger until I opened the driver door. The whole dance took a little over a minute, so this was a bit strange as usually from memory, I press the button on the charging handle and it takes 3-5 sec and works or if it does not, then opening the boot triggers it to start working. Its not something that affects driving but if it happens often, it will get plenty annoying over time.