Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen any change in behaviour in well over a year. As of 2022.20.7:

- Australian Teslas do not read speed signs on what in its database is classified as a highway/motorway.
- What is classified as a highway/motorway is nothing short of mysterious, and bears little resemblance to reality
- Moving 40 signs on the back of buses on local roads are still misinterpreted as a 40 zone, to include relevant limits crippling the AP
- Lane open/closed indication lights on the Sydney harbour bridge and in every tunnel are still misinterpreted as traffic lights
- LED based speed signs on local roads are regularly misread or ignored

But hey, I can now colour my car. And I'm not even complaining that the actual paint colour doesn't change.

And don’t forget the reminder that the lights are green and good to go.
I tried it and find it annoying so turned it off.

- Australian Teslas do not read speed signs on what in its database is classified as a highway/motorway.
- What is classified as a highway/motorway is nothing short of mysterious, and bears little resemblance to reality
- Moving 40 signs on the back of buses on local roads are still misinterpreted as a 40 zone, to include relevant limits crippling the AP
- Lane open/closed indication lights on the Sydney harbour bridge and in every tunnel are still misinterpreted as traffic lights

But hey, I can now colour my car. And I'm not even complaining that the actual paint colour doesn't change.

And don’t forget the reminder that the lights are green and good to go.
I tried it and find it annoying so turned it off.
I had similar experience to yours, I find it annoying because it is inconsistent and the way it works. For me it seems to trigger about half the times, however by the time it triggers I am already moving and the other half the time it does not trigger at all. When it triggers it acts same as the proximity sensors when parking and dials down the music and does the sound, which gets really annoying when you are enjoying the song playing at the time. I probably would not mind it if it did not fiddle with the music volume, as the sound itself is less intrusive then the proximity sensors sounds.

I'd like to have a chime giving a positive confirmation that you've successfully selected "D". Unfortunately I get the negative chime as I've been too quick to move and the car won't select Drive until the Easy Entry movements have finished their thing.

I've been "saved by the bell" a few times now at traffic lights when I was dozing/inattentive/being a moron while sitting there and not noticing the light turns. The dings come quick enough that they supersede the honk from behind. :)

But at intersections with combined arrow lights with one green and another red at the same time, it doesn't work at all really.

And the LED speed signs inside tunnels it likes to see as traffic lights also, causing momentary braking action every 200m or however often these repeat. Super annoying. And a little bit embarrassing. Car drives like Helmut the taxi driver from the movie "Night on earth". Ok. I just really dated myself. Haha.

I wonder how many resources Tesla allocates for improving Tesla Vision for Australia. From the reports here, it sounds like pretty much nil. I hope eventually they look at all the data, the false positives, the misses and actually have a look on how the experience could be improved. Otherwise it looks pretty bleak for FSD on Australian roads.

Well it handles driving on the wrong side of the road.
But basically they haven't done anything outside the US. Clustered traffic lights, circular speed signs, led speed signs are common in Europe/UK as well.

It's also not clear as to how much of the training in US FSD Beta cars is carried over to the highway AP that we have.

I'd like to have a chime giving a positive confirmation that you've successfully selected "D". Unfortunately I get the negative chime as I've been too quick to move and the car won't select Drive until the Easy Entry movements have finished their thing.
I have had that issue consistently enough, that I have started double tapping the stalk down by default to get it to "D", as it ignores the first time always for me. Just one of those quirks you get used to.

I'm not a fan of the drive selector stalk either. I often have to try a second time to engage Drive after entering the PIN. I'm not using Easy-Entry. It's really annoying.

I also hate the refusal to engage reverse consistently. Sometimes you swing towards the kerb to reverse into a driveway, and if the stupid stalk doesn't engage reverse you run the risk of hitting the kerb (or a sharp brake which annoys a passenger). I much prefer the manual gear stick in my near-50-year old VW, which guarantees that the vehicle is in a gear corresponding to the position of the stick because it's physically connected and can't not be. (Yeah it'll make a terrible noise if you try to engage an inappropriate gear). I don't know the reason for the stupidly low engage-reverse speed limit; what is it like 5km/h or something?

Separately, I recently had to turn it off and then on again because all TACC/AP/AEB functions were unavailable on a particularly cold morning. Yes, cameras were clean. That was on .16-something I think, updated to 2022.20.7 recently, though I doubt it was related to the version. I really want it to fail entirely before September, or to have been a once-off something which will never happen again, because my limited warranty is up in September. Yikes - considering the issues I've had with this thing.

Reactions: Maximillan
Separately, I recently had to turn it off and then on again because all TACC/AP/AEB functions were unavailable on a particularly cold morning. Yes, cameras were clean. That was on .16-something I think, updated to 2022.20.7 recently, though I doubt it was related to the version.
I would mention that it probably was the software version. Couple of months ago I was on 2022.12.3.2 that had that issue very often. It was reported and Tesla agreed it was software issue, so when I upgraded to 2022.16.3 that got fixed and now that I am on 2022.20.7 I have not had that issue again for over a month.

Last edited:
I have started double tapping the stalk down by default to get it to "D", as it ignores the first time always for me. Just one of those quirks you get used to.
Weird! I have never once had the problem. I do occasionally get confused switching from the Tesla to the Renault Zoe (turning on wipers not fwd/back) but that's me and not the car. I like the stalk!

Reactions: Hairyman
Weird! I have never once had the problem. I do occasionally get confused switching from the Tesla to the Renault Zoe (turning on wipers not fwd/back) but that's me and not the car. I like the stalk!
I was fortunate in moving over from a Merc CLA which had the same gearstick - that had been a little bit of an adjustment, but more room in between the seats
my Peugeot 404 in the 70s was the last time I'd used a column shift - it was great

So, im on 2022.20.7 and had a strange thing with wifi on my car today. It was saying its off and it will be turned on next time I drive. Changing the switch between on and off did not affect it:
PXL_20220803_031257655.jpg

Not sure why it would restart wifi when I drive, as it is more relevant when parked as it uses LTE when driving.

im on 2022.20.7 and it reads speed physical speed signs on the freeways in Perth but not digital overhead ones