Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That just sounds like the phone lost its Bluetooth connection to the car. Sometimes on my Android I'll need to disable Bluetooth, then re-enable it.

Tyre pressure can easily change by more than 4psi just from temperature variations over the day. Top them up to 42 on a cool morning and you shouldn't see the warnings for a while (and you'll probably find they get up to 48-49 on a hot afternoon!)
Yea I guess it could be just a coincidence a software update the night before and my phone problem. Although Spotify on my phone was streaming music to the car using Bluetooth at the time. But will troubleshoot tonight when I have access to the Y.

Both times I checked cold pressure of tyres was early morning about 18-20C here on the Mid North Coast. ie there has been no cold mornings in the last 2 days. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the 4 degree discrepancy. Now according to variations in cold inflation temp to pressure chart I have seen it would take approx 20 degrees C drop in temp to see what I got on the display of the Y.

Anyway I own a good tyre gauge and will be checking the tyres later to compare to the Tesla's display.

It's just strange all this happens after a software upgrade that is for sentry mode, heated steering and bug fixes from memory.

Yea I guess it could be just a coincidence a software update the night before and my phone problem. Although Spotify on my phone was streaming music to the car using Bluetooth at the time. But will troubleshoot tonight when I have access to the Y.
The Bluetooth device used to control the doors etc is different from the audio system one. I don't know whether the issue is in the car, the phone or the app - just that sometimes the app stops connecting and disabling/re-enabling Bluetooth on the phone is the quickest way to fix it.

I'm pretty sure that there is a reproducible place to demonstrate TACC slowing and speeding up in QLD. It's the point where the M1 merges with the M3, coming from Brisbane Airport. TACC will go down to 90 km/h from 100 km/h while on the exit and then up again to 100 km/h as you come to the merge point.
I can give you another one that drops the TACC from 110 km/h to 80 km/h (which is extremely dangerous if anyone is following): Bruce Highway, heading south near Sippy Downs, right after it goes from 2 lanes to 3. I'm starting to get used to accelerator over ride here plus disable TACC for a bit, then reengage. If I try to reengage to early it will set it to 80km/h, not to whatever speed I'm doing. I've got the setting on "set limit", not "speed limit", of course.

Just heard on the radio that Tesla US is recalling 360,000 vehicles to "adjust" FSD after the US transport dept judged it is not safe, citing speeding, crossing intersections as exhibiting unsafe or illegal behaviour. Report says that Tesla will apply a software patch to FSD.

Just heard on the radio that Tesla US is recalling 360,000 vehicles to "adjust" FSD after the US transport dept judged it is not safe, citing speeding, crossing intersections as exhibiting unsafe or illegal behaviour. Report says that Tesla will apply a software patch to FSD.
There are 18 warranty claims against this problem, presumably from physical impact.

The Bluetooth device used to control the doors etc is different from the audio system one. I don't know whether the issue is in the car, the phone or the app - just that sometimes the app stops connecting and disabling/re-enabling Bluetooth on the phone is the quickest way to fix it.
Bluetooth audio working seems to point to car or maybe a app problem in my mind. Now just to throw a spanner in the works my phone lets me open doors and start car straight away last night without doing any remedies, no 2 finger reset, no Bluetooth off then back on, nothing. I tested it a number of times in the morning. Before wife tested her Apple phone and after she proved her phone was working correctly. I could get not get it to work. Then later in the same day all good with no remedies tried. All straight after a software update during the night. The only time I have had trouble unlocking before was having phone in back pocket but that is understandable I think

Anyway if it happens again I will certainly try your recommendation of disabling/re-enabling Bluetooth to see if it helps. Thanks for the advice.

Just done 800km with 2022.40.30 from Sydney to Central Tablelands and back. Clean cameras. Clear days, slightly cloudy, little wind.

I have had my car for 12,000km now

1. AP unusable- lots of phantom braking from cars in the opposite direction. Plus not much 4 lane road. So off except for 10km. Definitely only usable on multi lane freeways (for me anyway).
2. TACC behaved quite well. As usual, speed control is brilliant even on very steep mountains (Blue Mountains- Bell's Line of Road). Following distance working okay.
3. Speed sign recognition an absolute nightmare. At least 15 Sydney buses detected as 40km zones. Some active school zones missed. Most roadworks speed limits actually detected which is a big first for me (big improvement). 5 or 6 "phantom"=non-existent and incorrect speed limits detected.
4. No phantom wiping until the end of the journey approaching the garage with the sun behind it. Deemed acceptable.

A long way to go.

Apart from the above, as usual, car very efficient and a delight to drive (if one discounts the continual Boings and the phantom braking).
Do you have EAP doggy? I got PB with a vengeance during the Christmas trial, but has not done it since the EAP trial was removed. So convinced I am, I’m seriously considering removing EAP on the Y I ordered.

Do you have EAP doggy? I got PB with a vengeance during the Christmas trial, but has not done it since the EAP trial was removed. So convinced I am, I’m seriously considering removing EAP on the Y I ordered.
No. My PB was on roads with one lane each way and using AP. In other words, not a separated highway. It didn't like the cars coming the other way. That problem went away when I just used TACC.

Reactions: Leeroy
No. My PB was on roads with one lane each way and using AP. In other words, not a separated highway. It didn't like the cars coming the other way. That problem went away when I just used TACC.
My Y hates one lane each way roads just using TACC. Cars coming the other way on sharper corners send it into screeching (alarms) emergency braking regularly.

It really is a crap piece of hardware/software Tesla are using for TACC IMHO. The product developer engineer in me wonders how they are getting away with it.

The wife who mainly drives the Y never uses cruise control on any cars and is happy with Y otherwise I would probably sell it. Happy wife happy life and all that I suppose. Still seems wrong to me that Tesla can't seem to get on top of it.

It really is a crap piece of hardware/software Tesla are using for TACC IMHO. The product developer engineer in me wonders how they are getting away with it.
There was a recent interview with the Telsa product manager, I can't find it I'm sorry. In it he explains that the radar is complexity - complexity in the supply chain, manufacturing, etc. With the cameras they believe that they can do better without the radar, (and here's the kicker) with all of the Teslas that they have out on the roads they can use the customer cars to help build the data set required to make Telsa Vision better sans radar.

There was a recent interview with the Telsa product manager, I can't find it I'm sorry. In it he explains that the radar is complexity - complexity in the supply chain, manufacturing, etc. With the cameras they believe that they can do better without the radar, (and here's the kicker) with all of the Teslas that they have out on the roads they can use the customer cars to help build the data set required to make Telsa Vision better sans radar.
Yet HWv4 has radar.

The wife who mainly drives the Y never uses cruise control on any cars and is happy with Y otherwise I would probably sell it. Happy wife happy life and all that I suppose. Still seems wrong to me that Tesla can't seem to get on top of it.
Some of us have been hoping that when they start using the FSD software stack on cars without FSD that things would marvellously improve. However the current recall event in the US (relating to FSD) refers to incorrect speed detection, phantom braking plus other stuff that we have here on our cars. So for myself, I do not see any improvement in the near future. Fortunately most other aspects of the car and drive-ability are great. But the PB and wrong speed sign detection are a major issue that Tesla seems incapable of recognising.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Some of us have been hoping that when they start using the FSD software stack on cars without FSD that things would marvellously improve. However the current recall event in the US (relating to FSD) refers to incorrect speed detection, phantom braking plus other stuff that we have here on our cars. So for myself, I do not see any improvement in the near future. Fortunately most other aspects of the car and drive-ability are great. But the PB and wrong speed sign detection are a major issue that Tesla seems incapable of recognising.
Tesla have recognised PB - its in the manual as a warning. This suggests they do not know how to fix it, at least with the current hardware and/or software

There was a recent interview with the Telsa product manager, I can't find it I'm sorry. In it he explains that the radar is complexity

It was a Lex Fridman interview with the former Tesla Director of AI Andrej Karpathy. He was echoing similar public statements by Elon about the removal of radar. I remember being pissed off at how hyper-focused the argument was on how to complete FSD ASAP without acknowledging a huge existing customer base that had non-FSD features removed/nerfed without any timeline for replacement (see also USS removal for another example).

IMO Tesla needs a Gywnne Shotwell type person who can help moderate the push for progress/experimental change at the expense of existing customers. She famously talked Elon down from cancelling Falcon Heavy just before it was completed (he wanted to just focus on Starship instead). Same argument, they had already sold customers flights on Falcon Heavy and no guarantees when Starship would actually be ready to fly customer missions.

It probably pisses Tesla off that others have beaten them to fully autonomous driving Uber like services. See Waymo in Phoenix and Cruise in San Francisco. Now admittedly those service areas are probably mapped to some degree.

Lidar hardware seem popular as a sensor in these spaces ie fully autonomous driving. Also seeing Lidar from memory on some of the newer premium cars coming straight from the factory.

Anyway Tesla had plenty of chances to use Lidar but no they know better and chose otherwise. With better resolution cameras and radar they may finally make it all work.

But I just want a cruise control that doesn't scare the crap out of the family Tesla and the radar from my over 10 yr old Prius (since sold) would suffice IMO.

Edit. Tesla might not care for that part of the market ie fully autonomous driving Uber like service but they have definitely been beaten to the fully autonomous driving space by others from what I have seen.

Last edited:
It probably pisses Tesla off that others have beaten them to fully autonomous driving Uber like services. See Waymo in Phoenix and Cruise in San Francisco. Now admittedly those service areas are probably mapped to some degree.

Lidar hardware seem popular as a sensor in these spaces ie fully autonomous driving. Also seeing Lidar from memory on some of the newer premium cars coming straight from the factory.

Anyway Tesla had plenty of chances to use Lidar but no they know better and chose otherwise. With better resolution cameras and radar they may finally make it all work.

But I just want a cruise control that doesn't scare the crap out of the family Tesla and the radar from my over 10 yr old Prius (since sold) would suffice IMO.

Edit. Tesla might not care for that part of the market ie fully autonomous driving Uber like service but they have definitely been beaten to the fully autonomous driving space by others from what I have seen.
Shame about the addition to the roof on the waymo. Just a touch ugly. Fully agree re the rubbish cruise control.

I think the current camera hardware has problems with reading electronic signs because of the camera frame rate and the sign flicker rate.

Mine rarely recognises the LED signs.

So I do wonder if it is just interpreting the local speed limit to be whatever the nearest surface road limit is.

I got around this problem by going to the Autopilot menu and selecting „set speed“ rather than „speed limit“ for speed preference. This has made driving through tunnels and some larger overpasses a lot smoother.

It is far from perfect, but whatever it takes…
I have mine set to ‘current speed‘ and I still get the phantom

66BC87A2-C44B-4B5B-BD9A-252AF1079022.jpeg

now on 2023.2.10

• Informative
Reactions: lazjen and Hairyman
I have mine set to ‘current speed‘ and I still get the phantom
I had it too as recently as yesterday - same setting as you and same firmware version.

Driving southbound on NorthConnex tunnel (Sydney) approaching the M2 motorway. I had TACC set to 73km/h (limit in the tunnel is 80) and the set speed went from Max 73 to Max 70 (and car slowed) then Max 73 (and car sped up again) within a few seconds for no obvious reason.

Better than last time I went through the same tunnel a month or so ago when the TACC speed went from Max 75 (or whatever I had it set to, less than 80 anyway), then down to Max 70 then up to something more than 75 (I tapped the brake as soon as it surged past 75) - all with no visible speed signs at that point and no control changes on my part.

I have 2 areas of my daily commute in Melbourne that do as you describe, one automatic change from 80 to 100 with no speed limit sign in sight and the other is an 80 -70 - 60 - 80 give up and take over version. That one had some yellow recommended signs and an off-ramp sign so half could be forgiven, the rest is just irritating.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot