Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the car deciding that the speed limit was 60 despite a complete absence of any signage
Per quote I thought you said there was NO signage. I haven't been in there but if plenty of 80 signs then it is indeed weird. Just like my phantom (non existent) speed limit signs "detected" a few days ago. I'm on 2022.44.30. The system has an awful long way to go before being useable.

Reactions: Ottmeister
Per quote I thought you said there was NO signage. I haven't been in there but if plenty of 80 signs then it is indeed weird. Just like my phantom (non existent) speed limit signs "detected" a few days ago. I'm on 2022.44.30. The system has an awful long way to go before being useable.
I worded it poorly
I meant that there are no ‘60’ signs inside the tunnel, just a large number saying ‘80’
there’s a short 60 zone entering northbound at each of the two entrances in Ashfield, but I wasn’t using either of those

I worded it poorly
I meant that there are no ‘60’ signs inside the tunnel, just a large number saying ‘80’
there’s a short 60 zone entering northbound at each of the two entrances in Ashfield, but I wasn’t using either of those
There is an outstanding issue where Tesla's cannot read digital speed signs. I imagine Westconnex is similar to other tunnels with only electronic speed signs, or does it also have 80 if blacked out overrides?
The issue with electronic signs is one of a conflict between the refresh rates of the cameras and signs. This may or may not be easily solved with current hardware. It may be possible to stitch together enough of these to recreate a full sign to then decode.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Aren't they electronic signs though? It's well known those aren't read (they use pulse-width modulation meaning that for a lot of the time the sign is completely dark, and the video camera in the car has a shutter so it's only looking some of the time, so to the car the sign mostly appears dark/blank).

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
There is an outstanding issue where Tesla's cannot read digital speed signs. I imagine Westconnex is similar to other tunnels with only electronic speed signs, or does it also have 80 if blacked out overrides?
The issue with electronic signs is one of a conflict between the refresh rates of the cameras and signs. This may or may not be easily solved with current hardware. It may be possible to stitch together enough of these to recreate a full sign to then decode.
it has the illuminated disc with the internal number-in-the-red ring - presumably electronic but I wouldn’t know what tech it is
thing is, the car was confabulating a 60

I'm prepared to forgive it getting electronic signs wrong due to the known problem of pulsing etc. However, on my recent 800km trip, there were no electronic signs plus plenty of detection of non-existent signs. On top of that I had multiple misreading of 80 (trucks and buses) with 100 car signs. Innumerable and annoying "Boing boings". In one case, lasting 20kms. Every time my speed dropped to near 80 the boings would start again even though my speed limit was 100. Add to that the 15 buses detected as 40 signs. Speed sign detection is nowhere near fit for purpose.

it has the illuminated disc with the internal number-in-the-red ring - presumably electronic but I wouldn’t know what tech it is
thing is, the car was confabulating a 60
I think the current camera hardware has problems with reading electronic signs because of the camera frame rate and the sign flicker rate.

Mine rarely recognises the LED signs.

So I do wonder if it is just interpreting the local speed limit to be whatever the nearest surface road limit is.

I got around this problem by going to the Autopilot menu and selecting „set speed“ rather than „speed limit“ for speed preference. This has made driving through tunnels and some larger overpasses a lot smoother.

It is far from perfect, but whatever it takes…

Reactions: schnaxxl
I got around this problem by going to the Autopilot menu and selecting „set speed“ rather than „speed limit“ for speed preference
That is my preference too, makes for a much smoother and more “expected” driving experience.

Even with that setting I still have the car slow down (on TACC, even when I don’t have Autosteer active) on some freeway off-ramps, and also in two places (both ends of the NorthConnex tunnel in Sydney) where the car actually speeds _up_ from my set speed (ie resets the Max speed then accelerates to it) - which I don’t want obviously as it is then exceeding the actual speed limit. I reckon both of those types of TACC speed changes shouldn’t happen with the setting of “set speed” but they do it consistently for me and have done so for as long as I can remember.

Reactions: lazjen and Hairyman
Weird. My car has never changed speed when on TACC (other than phantom braking). If the speed limit changes, TACC makes no attempt to adjust to it.

I am just downloading 2023.2.10 and it includes this note (for HW3 cars but Australia EXCLUDED!)

"Speed Assist now leverages your car's cameras to detect speed limit signs. This improves the accuracy of speed limit data on local roads and highways in select countries. Detected speed limit signs will be displayed in the driving visualization."

I’ve seen my car change speed limits on TACC - but only down, never up.
My speed limits displayed when on TACC change, both up and down, correctly and incorrectly but the car's speed never changes either up or down (apart from phantom braking events) unless I force it by disengaging/re-engaging TACC. I do get heaps of BOINGS any time the detected speed limit drops and I am going more than my set amount over (3km/hr). But the car has never changed speed while I am on TACC.

But the car has never changed speed while I am on TACC.
Where it happens for me - and it is consistent - is unrelated to the car seeing a speed limit sign, but rather is on an on- or off-ramp, or another similar highway merge sort of situation.

Couple of (Sydney) examples - drive on TACC with the limit set to “set speed” rather than “speed limit” (ie assumption - and documented behaviour - is that TACC will stay set to whatever speed you click it on at, even if it beeps and bongs at you when it thinks the speed limit has decreased):

* Eastbound on M2 motorway (shows Max 100 for the TACC set speed), take Mona Vale Rd exit. About 1/2 way along the exit lane, the TACC set speed will change to Max 90 and TACC will slow to 90, then further along again (maybe 2/3 of the distance to the traffic lights) it will change to show Max 80 and again the car will slow to 80.
* Westbound on M2 motorway (again at 100 and TACC set speed showing Max 100), take Windsor Rd exit. Same behaviour as above - ie Max goes to 90 then 80 and car slows accordingly in those two steps.
* Northbound on NorthConnex tunnel, after entering it Eastbound from M2 motorway, set TACC to 70 km/h (limit is 80 but I err on the side of caution). At about the point where the surface northbound traffic (from Pennant Hills Rd) joins into the tunnel the car will auto-accelerate to 80 (or perhaps more - I have always tapped the brakes to disengage TACC as soon as I feel it surge above my set speed here).

Those are all basically 100% reproducible with my car (2021 Model 3 Long Range - with EAP but the same thing happened before I had EAP). Not using NoA and not using Autosteer; just TACC with the speed limit set to “set speed”.

Reactions: Maximillan
I’ve seen my car change speed limits on TACC - but only down, never up. And the changes down don’t always occur, the times it has happened have been a bit random.
My car often changes the speed down on TACC, but only very rarely changes the speed back up after slowing down. I believe I have seen that change up happen only about 5-6 times over 3.5 years. I agree with it being mostly random, however it seems like if you stay on same software version it mostly happens in similar locations but after next update it is in different locations. So seems to be linked to some form of mapped data and not actual visual input for the car.

Where it happens for me - and it is consistent - is unrelated to the car seeing a speed limit sign, but rather is on an on- or off-ramp, or another similar highway merge sort of situation.
I mainly find it reducing speed on off ramps, the Pacific Hwy exit heading north at Artarmon drops me to 60 from my preset 80km/h setting. Reducing the speed for on ramps is a feature according to the manual.

A non off ramp example that I can consistently reproduce is taking the far right lane heading north coming off the Harbour Bridge. It varies in terms of what speed it decides to over ride me with.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
My car often changes the speed down on TACC, but only very rarely changes the speed back up after slowing down. I believe I have seen that change up happen only about 5-6 times over 3.5 years. I agree with it being mostly random, however it seems like if you stay on same software version it mostly happens in similar locations but after next update it is in different locations. So seems to be linked to some form of mapped data and not actual visual input for the car.
I'm pretty sure that there is a reproducible place to demonstrate TACC slowing and speeding up in QLD. It's the point where the M1 merges with the M3, coming from Brisbane Airport. TACC will go down to 90 km/h from 100 km/h while on the exit and then up again to 100 km/h as you come to the merge point.

On a different subject, I've driven back from Brisbane Airport a couple of times after 8 pm and have found the automatic full beam when on autopilot to be OK. It still does some strange things, like going to full beam when coming to a top of a small rise (Smith St. from M1 to Southport). On a fully lit road they should just disable full beam.

New software installed last night:
Lost the ability to auto open doors with phone in hand. Had to use app to open doors.
Lost the ability to start car ie foot on brake. Had to get out key card.
All tyre pressures drop by 4psi in the 2 days since I last drove it and now show under inflated of 38psi.

Samsung phone ie android. Got wife to check her Apple phone and no problem with opening or start. Wife mainly drives the Y but I did drive it to Forster on Tuesday and checked tyres etc and everything good. Updated app on phone about a month ago.

Anyone else seeing this?

Last edited:
New software installed last night:
Lost the ability to auto open doors with phone in hand. Had to use app to open doors.
Lost the ability to start car ie foot on accelerator. Had to get out key card.
All tyre pressures drop by 4psi in the 2 days since I last drove it and now show under inflated of 38psi.

Samsung phone ie android. Got wife to check her Apple phone and no problem with opening or start. Wife mainly drives the Y but I did drive it to Forster on Tuesday and checked tyres etc and everything good. Updated app on phone about a month ago.

Anyone else seeing this?
Have you tried the two finger reset?

Lost the ability to start car ie foot on brake. Had to get out key card.
That just sounds like the phone lost its Bluetooth connection to the car. Sometimes on my Android I'll need to disable Bluetooth, then re-enable it.

Tyre pressure can easily change by more than 4psi just from temperature variations over the day. Top them up to 42 on a cool morning and you shouldn't see the warnings for a while (and you'll probably find they get up to 48-49 on a hot afternoon!).