Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bug that is absolutely doing my head in: was playing filtering the Charger locations based on power, and now any time I tap the lightning bolt in a circle it jumps straight to a 32kw charger near Bairnsdale and won’t let me change the filter. Have tried everything I can think of.
Fixed it. Scrolled the map to Brisbane and hit the supercharger filter button so it didn’t just jump to Bairnsdale.

Im still awaiting any update, been a few months at this point. Maybe a software reset?

Sometimes I have gone many months without notification of an update. Sometime I deliberately skip updates when posters here report they are rubbish or break something important. Don’t sweat it. Updates will come when they want to come.

Installed 2023.12.1.1 today. British English Voice recognition is a gamer changer. My Infotainment Voice Recognition is as good as google for everything, not just navigation.

The other nice feature is all the extra controls added to the left steering thumbwheel. So much better than having to reach across to the screen.

Tesla Tom has done a video. Very well explained.

Im still awaiting any update, been a few months at this point. Maybe a software reset?
Have you configured the car to connect to your home wifi? It may not do updates over the car cellular connection. Also there is a setting under "Software" for updates, "Standard" or "Advanced", advanced supposedly will give you the updates sooner, maybe that might give the car a nudge, I have always had mine set to advanced with no problems. Failing that, maybe give Tesla service a call, if you have been months without an update you are missing some useful new features.

Also there is a setting under "Software" for updates, "Standard" or "Advanced", advanced supposedly will give you the updates sooner, maybe that might give the car a nudge, I have always had mine set to advanced with no problems.

On that point, there is an urban myth that switching this between “Standard” and “Advanced” 5 times in quick succession will force the download of a new update. People who have tried that say it is bollocks.

Have you configured the car to connect to your home wifi? It may not do updates over the car cellular connection. Also there is a setting under "Software" for updates, "Standard" or "Advanced", advanced supposedly will give you the updates sooner, maybe that might give the car a nudge, I have always had mine set to advanced with no problems. Failing that, maybe give Tesla service a call, if you have been months without an update you are missing some useful new features.
Having tested standard and advanced on two identical cars with a vin seperated by 1 digit I can assure you it does absolutely nothing.

Have you configured the car to connect to your home wifi? It may not do updates over the car cellular connection.
The Tesla mothership decides when your car is worthy of an update, nothing you can do on the car will make that happen sooner. When an update is available for your car, you will be notified regardless of whether your car is on cellular or wifi at the time. However, actually _downloading_ the update will require you to be on wifi, unless it is a safety-critical update or you are _really_ far behind in updates, on which case it can be pushed down to your car even over cellular.

Also there is a setting under "Software" for updates, "Standard" or "Advanced", advanced supposedly will give you the updates sooner, maybe that might give the car a nudge, I have always had mine set to advanced with no problems.
Consensus has been for some time that the Standard/Advanced toggle is a lot like the “close doors” button on an elevator :)

BTW as of now, 22% of cars like mine (2021 Model 3 Long Range with Intel Atom MCU) in Australia that log to TeslaFi are still on firmware 2023.2.12. What is seems from looking through the TeslaFi stats is that the more of the following apply to your car, the more likely it is to still be on that release as of now: Model 3 (ie Y, S and X more likely to be on newer firmware), dual motor (RWD more likely to be on newer firmware), Intel Atom MCU (AMD Ryzen cars more likely to be on newer firmware).

With still over 20% of cars like mine in Australia on that firmware version it is unlikely to be an individual car issue - eg car not looking to the mothership correctly, or needing a reboot or being un-stuck by Tesla or whatever - but just that the runes haven’t been cast by Tesla appropriately yet to make those cars worthy of anything newer.

Reactions: cafz
Voice rec doesn't love Australian place names... 5 km from the supercharger in Dubbo - 'navigate to supercharger in dubbo' - goes looking for places in Melbourne... 'navigate to nearest supercharger' - stars looking for the closest one on the map, that's now looking in Victoria.

V2023.2.12
Try on your finest american accent for this global car and you will be fine

• Funny
Reactions: bay74 and Stratman
I see no evidence of the chrome browser
The normal built-in web browser in your Tesla is built on top of Chromium (underlying guts of Chrome). It identifies itself to the web servers as follows (string from my car still running firmware 2023.2.12):

"Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/102.0.9999.0 Safari/537.36 Tesla/develop-2023.2.12-3417-a734fb860b"

So as you can see, a web server will think my car is running Chrome 102 on Linux, unless it goes specifically looking for the presence also of Tesla tag in that string.

BTW as of now, 22% of cars like mine (2021 Model 3 Long Range with Intel Atom MCU) in Australia that log to TeslaFi are still on firmware 2023.2.12. What is seems from looking through the TeslaFi stats is that the more of the following apply to your car, the more likely it is to still be on that release as of now: Model 3 (ie Y, S and X more likely to be on newer firmware), dual motor (RWD more likely to be on newer firmware), Intel Atom MCU (AMD Ryzen cars more likely to be on newer firmware).

It's not the case unfortunately, cars like mine mine, Model 3, RWD & AMD Ryzen are also 21.7% still on 2023.2.12.

I'm on 2023.6.11 -> 6.4% of similar vehicles.

Currently 33.1% are on 2023.12.1.1.

Total of 157 vehicles like mine on TeslaFi.

It's not the case unfortunately, cars like mine mine, Model 3, RWD & AMD Ryzen are also 21.7% still on 2023.2.12.
Interesting, thanks - I was going by the combination of what I can see on TeslaFi (ie overall vs cars like mine), plus anecdotally in the various “stuck on old firmware” threads in the different forums on here, then also what Tesla-Info shows (which has a differently-sliced breakdown, and I don’t know what their data sources are, sorry): Tesla Release 2023.2 statistics and heat map

Would be fascinating to find out what the reason for holdback of any updates to that fair subset of cars for 2 months is, but it seems deliberate rather than just the usual roll-of-the-dice on when some particular car might get an update.

On that point, there is an urban myth that switching this between “Standard” and “Advanced” 5 times in quick succession will force the download of a new update. People who have tried that say it is bollocks.
I was frustrated about not getting the update, so switched it to Standard and back to Advanced once. Got the update the next day. Correlation does not equal causation ;).

• Funny
Reactions: moa999 and Vostok
Interesting, thanks - I was going by the combination of what I can see on TeslaFi (ie overall vs cars like mine), plus anecdotally in the various “stuck on old firmware” threads in the different forums on here, then also what Tesla-Info shows (which has a differently-sliced breakdown, and I don’t know what their data sources are, sorry): Tesla Release 2023.2 statistics and heat map

Would be fascinating to find out what the reason for holdback of any updates to that fair subset of cars for 2 months is, but it seems deliberate rather than just the usual roll-of-the-dice on when some particular car might get an update.
Maybe that subset didn’t recieve the bugs being fixed

the chimes when changing gears are probably a good idea but had to turn them off, very annoying when doing a 3 point turn... and I need to do a magical 5 point turn to navigate my drive and garage

quite happy with the update though, not had much useful stuff for a while and the British English voice recognition and left thumb customisation are nice