Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming "empg" means "equivalent miles per gallon" I would disagree that it's dumb. Nevermind that there's not one but two units in that abbreviation we don't use in Australia. I'd say it is in fact quite illuminating to see how incredibly wasteful internal combustion engines are. There's hardly a better way to illustrate this than showing the equivalent consumption with a propellant people are familiar with.

Last edited:
i could equally argue if you apply nuclear fusion to petrol theres 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000 nmpg in petrol........

Why dont we also apply a coefficient to cars too as the charging process isnt efficient. I.e. 90% for charging, 90% for using, maybe 3-5% heatloss. So we have a e-electron consumption of 180wh/km rather than 160wh/km etc. These numbers mean nothing. And if you use the petrol to fuel an egenerator you also dont get empg. It is just an arbitary number.

• Disagree
Reactions: ZeeDoktor
i could equally argue if you apply nuclear fusion to petrol theres 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000 nmpg in petrol........
A crazy exaggeration, Candleflame. Assuming you could convert ALL the petrol into usable energy (and not waste half of it as useless and unusable neutrinos, for example), then your best yield would be 243 petajoules, which is 67 500 000kWh. At 150Wh/km (like my Model S) that's 450 000 000 km/gallon so 281250000 nmpg equivalent.
Thankyou, that was fun.

A crazy exaggeration, Candleflame. Assuming you could convert ALL the petrol into usable energy (and not waste half of it as useless and unusable neutrinos, for example), then your best yield would be 243 petajoules, which is 67 500 000kWh. At 150Wh/km (like my Model S) that's 450 000 000 km/gallon so 281250000 nmpg equivalent.
Thankyou, that was fun.
Anyone know where I can buy a Mr Fusion unit to hook up in the boot well? 1.21 GW here we come.

Back to topic. Noticed interesting behaviour on 32.7: On entering the sydney harbour bridge travelling slighty behind a bus in the parallel bus lane with a 40 sign on the back, coming out of a construction site with a correctly detected 60 speed limit, the car changed the speed limit to 70 when passing the LED overhead 70 sign, then it picked up the 40 sign on the bus and showed 40 as the speed limit (but AP didn't slow down), then on passing the next LED overhead 70 sign, it set the speed limit back to 70, then picked up the bus again at 40, and on the next LED overhead sign again picked up 70.

This is single handedly the most reliable LED speed limit pickup I've ever seen. And it clearly was the LED sign, and not a database speed limit, due to the this occurring mid bridge twice.

Looks like they are working on the LED sign algo. The bus logic is still rubbish though...

Back to topic. Noticed interesting behaviour on 32.7: On entering the sydney harbour bridge travelling slighty behind a bus in the parallel bus lane with a 40 sign on the back, coming out of a construction site with a correctly detected 60 speed limit, the car changed the speed limit to 70 when passing the LED overhead 70 sign, then it picked up the 40 sign on the bus and showed 40 as the speed limit (but AP didn't slow down), then on passing the next LED overhead 70 sign, it set the speed limit back to 70, then picked up the bus again at 40, and on the next LED overhead sign again picked up 70.

This is single handedly the most reliable LED speed limit pickup I've ever seen. And it clearly was the LED sign, and not a database speed limit, due to the this occurring mid bridge twice.

Looks like they are working on the LED sign algo. The bus logic is still rubbish though...
That is interesting. I have certainly seen some improvement in speed sign recognition in recent months. That said, my car still switches from the correct 60 limit to 70 as I cross a local bridge. There is no sign there at all. It was a 70 zone years ago, so maybe the car is somehow referring to out-of-date mapping data? I've not seen evidence of it using maps to predict speed zones more accurately anywhere else, though.

I have certainly seen some improvement in speed sign recognition in recent months.
yet it still has problem with our special dual speed limit signs like the one when you go from Sydney down to Woolongong where there is a dual 40/trucks 70/cars sign. Guess which one it picks each time - yes, 40 (then the model Y turning circle is like a truck, right?) Delight for anyone behind you when it slams breaks for no good reason, one can almost hear screaming from behind you - "stupid Tesla drivers!".

yet it still has problem with our special dual speed limit signs like the one when you go from Sydney down to Woolongong where there is a dual 40/trucks 70/cars sign. Guess which one it picks each time - yes, 40 (then the model Y turning circle is like a truck, right?) Delight for anyone behind you when it slams breaks for no good reason, one can almost hear screaming from behind you - "stupid Tesla drivers!".
Oh, I'm not saying it is good, it has just improved. Most of my driving is in regional north Queensland. A drive from Brisbane saw dozens of misreads of speed signs on the Bruce Highway. Between that and the car freaking out any time I drive on a smaller road without clear line markings, or anywhere near those markings, or really for any reason at all, I don't think the current software is mature for anything other than freeways and large highways. This is the part where I should express optimism for it to be fixed in an upcoming update, but....

I agree. From never decoding LED signs, I have recently had good performance in the Easter Distributor and the Lane Cove Tunnel [both in Sydney]. Definitely decoding the signs as the speeds were different from normal. As for the buses, I think the Tesla is now picking them up from further away- maybe due to the white balance fixes? Anyway I would say the bus 40km/hr detections are the most I have previously experienced and therefore BAD!

Reactions: Hairyman
That is interesting. I have certainly seen some improvement in speed sign recognition in recent months. That said, my car still switches from the correct 60 limit to 70 as I cross a local bridge. There is no sign there at all. It was a 70 zone years ago, so maybe the car is somehow referring to out-of-date mapping data? I've not seen evidence of it using maps to predict speed zones more accurately anywhere else, though.
I’m still experiencing the old maps data as well, and the car is unable to pick up SA’s unique 25 for work zones (model s)

Reactions: JonDarian
Model Y on 2023.32.7.

On our recent trip south and back the voice instructions were often at odds with the posted instructions on the screen. For example, approaching a town the voice would say "Turn left into Alice Street" whereas the screen instruction was to proceed straight ahead. It became quite comical when the same voice would then agree with the screen only to then once again speak the incorrect instruction. Seemed like two people arguing about the best route. (Usually my wife and I!) Happened far too frequently to be amusing during the long coastal southern route so it was lucky that in most situations I had noted the signage on the approach to the town. Particularly annoying when trying to find the Berry SC - which happens to be in a vineyard a fair distance before Berry.

I ended up concentrating on the road signs rather than relying on the Tesla Navigation. Not good enough, really.

• Informative
Reactions: JonDarian