Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I’m in the camp of those for whom voice control is a joke. There are a few things it can mostly get close to right (fan speed, though asking for a speed usually results in an incremental change), others which might take four or five attempts, and some things it just never ever gets right no matter how many times we try (“navigate to Lorne”, “navigate to Gran and Pas”, a named destination). I find it rubbish.

You have to be careful how you name your favourites. I have named my Southern Highlands house Lake House and I can almost always get a response to ”Navigate to Lake House”.
In contrast I named a favourite to my cousin Melissa’s house “Melli” and I can’t get “Navigate to Melli” to work. I’ll probably rename it to Melissa’s House and it Will likely work.

Reactions: Jules22
You have to be careful how you name your favourites. I have named my Southern Highlands house Lake House and I can almost always get a response to ”Navigate to Lake House”.
In contrast I named a favourite to my cousin Melissa’s house “Melli” and I can’t get “Navigate to Melli” to work. I’ll probably rename it to Melissa’s House and it Will likely work.
The only way I can get some reliability from it is with a very bad attempt at an american accent. The most telling thing I saw was when two tesla service guys tried to make the voice system better for me. The first guy, an aussie, tried “drive to bunnings”. 5 attempts none worked. Hie work colleague was american. He did 5 attempts and they all worked. He said them fast too.

The only way I can get some reliability from it is with a very bad attempt at an american accent. The most telling thing I saw was when two tesla service guys tried to make the voice system better for me. The first guy, an aussie, tried “drive to bunnings”. 5 attempts none worked. Hie work colleague was american. He did 5 attempts and they all worked. He said them fast too.
"Now y'all git along to Bunnings, y'hear"

For sure, I did not say ALL phantom braking, but as I said, I have had that in many other vehicles with AED as well. Definitely something that can be improved and I know it has and is improving.

Re parking sensors, zero concern for me, I've never relied fully on any parking sensor and nor should you. Again clearly they've got a fairly major implementation coming here though which I am very keen to try out. Definintely an area for improvement like I acknowledged, but in no way a deal breaker for me, and I suspect most given the high re-purchase rate that Tesla have.
Love how old mate references Tesla Tom, driving a demo model which has barely calibrated. My current M3 was dogshit for a month and now the cameras have it down pat.

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
My experience yesterday:
Good conditions in a straight, well-marked 60kph road with no traffic in either direction for hundreds of metres. The car showed the current speed zone correctly. Activating TACC showed the target speed as 60kph. The car slowed progressively to just above 30kph until I finally intervened with the throttle. That is just one example for the cruise control working less well than other vehicles from manufacturers who make less of a fuss about their supposedly amazing software.
Different people are certainly having wildly divergent experiences. I've been using TACC every day for years and not seen that happen.

The only time I've seen it slow down like well below the speed limit is when there's lots of roadwork witches hats lining the road. Do you have the visualisations turned on? I wonder if it was interpreting guide posts as witches hats or something like that.

Reactions: doggy1 and Jules22
Different people are certainly having wildly divergent experiences.
This. I still have no idea why some of my friends' AP / TACC behaves very differently compared to mine ie: slow downs, phantom braking and so on.

If it happens to me, I would try to reset the calibration and drive through those multi lane highways. But again, this might not help - just my working theory right now.

Reactions: Jules22
Yeah, I'm struggling to understand if it's just overly negative people or what is going on.

I mean I get it that nobody is going to come in here and talk about the last 20 drives they had where everything worked perfectly. Even the minor hiccup you have which you easily overcome because you understand the system and operate in the manner it's intended wouldn't be worth complaining about for most.

Just seems to be an overwhleming negativity in this thread, to the point where simply asking someone for a credible source for a wild claim which was obviously false gets you attacked.

I'm glad to see more people with similar positive experiences to those I've had though. I was beginning to question myself after all the comments on this thread, lol.

I had some un-phantom braking on the weekend on the M1 north of Sydney. While I was going at 110 kWh/h, an SUV in the lane to the left of me decided they needed to swerve into my lane without warning in order to not run up the tail of the car in front of it.

Before I could react, my car did some actual, appropriate braking, to prevent a collision.

So the opposite of phantom braking does happen 😄

Different people are certainly having wildly divergent experiences. I've been using TACC every day for years and not seen that happen.

The only time I've seen it slow down like well below the speed limit is when there's lots of roadwork witches hats lining the road. Do you have the visualisations turned on? I wonder if it was interpreting guide posts as witches hats or something like that.
I know what you mean about witches hats. It doesn't cope in construction zones at all. I do have visualisations turned on.

In the example I gave, there is a lane in each direction, and wide bike lanes. There were no parked cars or other objects in the bike lane. I wouldn't mind if it had a "dumb" cruise control option which just maintained the indicated speed and let me look after the rest.

Yeah, I'm struggling to understand if it's just overly negative people or what is going on.

I mean I get it that nobody is going to come in here and talk about the last 20 drives they had where everything worked perfectly. Even the minor hiccup you have which you easily overcome because you understand the system and operate in the manner it's intended wouldn't be worth complaining about for most.

Just seems to be an overwhleming negativity in this thread, to the point where simply asking someone for a credible source for a wild claim which was obviously false gets you attacked.

I'm glad to see more people with similar positive experiences to those I've had though. I was beginning to question myself after all the comments on this thread, lol.
Given the significant number of people on here commenting on phantom braking/poor voice system/sketchy cruise control, you probably should be assuming that there is an issue, especially when phantom braking is mentioned by tesla in its manual. Why some do not get these issues is a mystery.
It could eaually be said that overt positivity and a refusal to consider where tesla are falling behind is the symptom of a tesla fanatic. A massive number of threads and posts on TMC is people asking for help with a problem.
It is also clear to me that after 8 or so years on this forum that quite a few on the australian section thankfully do not agree with making any rational discussion into a personal name calling attack. It just degrades the discussion and gets our mod into blocking the thread.

This. I still have no idea why some of my friends' AP / TACC behaves very differently compared to mine ie: slow downs, phantom braking and so on.

If it happens to me, I would try to reset the calibration and drive through those multi lane highways. But again, this might not help - just my working theory right now.
I have found recalibrating works, but the system over time reverts to its unusual behaviour. Our roads in Adelaide are very simple so the calibrating shouldn’t be over-complicating things. Note my car is a 2.5 version computer with 8 camera’s. It may or may not be hardware related.

I have found recalibrating works, but the system over time reverts to its unusual behaviour.
Good to know that it does something but yes I guess it's a temporary workaround from the looks of things.
Doing this over and over again would be frustrating. Once you reset the calibration, did you go over multi lane roads?

The service page states:
To calibrate, cameras require highly-visible lane markings in both the driving lane and adjacent lanes (at least two lanes over on each side of the vehicle). For best results, drive in the middle lane of a multi-lane highway (ideally with at least five lanes) that has clear lane markings and minimal traffic.

Good to know that it does something but yes I guess it's a temporary workaround from the looks of things.
Doing this over and over again would be frustrating. Once you reset the calibration, did you go over multi lane roads?

The service page states:
To calibrate, cameras require highly-visible lane markings in both the driving lane and adjacent lanes (at least two lanes over on each side of the vehicle). For best results, drive in the middle lane of a multi-lane highway (ideally with at least five lanes) that has clear lane markings and minimal traffic.
Is that 5 lanes in one direction or 5 lanes total? The first one does not exist in SA….in fact the only 5 lane both directions I can think of has a substantial divider.