Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
same problem except mine were perfect before the update
Went on a short drive and parked in the rain. Got back in to drive again - no wipers at all. Drove for 10 minutes rain all over windscreen - no wipers. This is past the point of sanity. Turned on TACC - no wipers. Drive many cars with "auto" wipers, Tesla the worst - unfathomable. Yes I can just tap the stalk but should not have to.

Currently driving a rental 2023 Jeep Grand Wagoneer L. I'm in the US, pretty sure that model doesn't even sell in Oz as you'd need a second mortgage to pay for the fuel. Pleased to report that the Jeep's auto headlight feature is as bad as on my MS, the lane keep assist isn't working, and radar cruise has its own deficiencies and is no better than my very rarely phantom braking TACC. The car, despite its mass, handles surprisingly well on snow and ice, but not as well as my MS.

And while it is oddly pleasing to add 800km of range in just a few minutes by putting a flammable liquid in the tank, it does feel dirty.

It is nice to get a reference point every now and then to compare with what I've left behind. Alas, the Missus is happy, she likes to drive on a "grand" carbon footprint.

• Informative
Reactions: Ottmeister
Doing it differently is not clever if it doesn’t work properly. There’s a reason every other manufacturer uses a dedicated rain sensor, and it’s because it works….

And they’re cheap and don’t reinvent an already solved wheel. Tesla’s approach to windscreen wiping is as dumb as investing tens of millions trying to design a better moustetrap using cameras and AI to detect whether or not a mouse is present, when a perfectly good solution that costs $1.50 has existed since the 19th century.

Exhibit B: Hyperloop One is finally closing down for good, years after anyone with a science degree in physics could have (and did) tell Elon it could never work at an economically viable cost.

There are some problems for which it makes sense to invest millions to see if you can do it better. Then there are are other problems for which it makes no sense at all (e.g. mousetrap), because even if you can solve it a different way, some basic calculations will tell you whether it could ever yield a better solution at lower cost or more margin, even under the most optimistic of assumptions.

Elon seems incapable of discriminating between these two scenarios, and thinks all problems should be solved a different way regardless.

Maybe next update we get 3D images of rain instead to deflect their is a issue at all.
Like they done for the cars without USS, look pretty 3D instead of a line jumping from 90cm to 30cm to 60cm to NFI.
I like the Tesla although always think of Captain Rum in blackadder..
Lets add USS, Rain sensors and Blind spot in mirrors to the crew

Edmund: I was under the impression that it was common maritime practice
for a ship to have a crew.

Rum: Opinion is divided on the subject.

Edmund: Oh, really? [starting to get the picture]

Rum: Yahs. All the other captains say it is; I say it isn’t.

Exhibit B: Hyperloop One is finally closing down for good, years after anyone with a science degree in physics could have (and did) tell Elon it could never work at an economically viable cost.
I think you're getting confused. Elon wrote a white paper on the Hyperloop and ran a few college competitions but never got involved building or investing in anything to do with it.

I believe Hyperloop One was originally Richard Branson. Nothing to do with Elon.

Last edited:
And they’re cheap and don’t reinvent an already solved wheel. Tesla’s approach to windscreen wiping is as dumb as investing tens of millions trying to design a better moustetrap using cameras and AI to detect whether or not a mouse is present, when a perfectly good solution that costs $1.50 has existed since the 19th century.

There are some problems for which it makes sense to invest millions to see if you can do it better. Then there are are other problems for which it makes no sense at all (e.g. mousetrap), because even if you can solve it a different way, some basic calculations will tell you whether it could ever yield a better solution at lower cost or more margin, even under the most optimistic of assumptions.

Elon seems incapable of discriminating between these two scenarios, and thinks all problems should be solved a different way regardless.

And they could have shadow researched detecting rain if it interested them so much.

Does the charging situation matter for your use case? For me, any non-Tesla vehicle is currently out of the question due to the poor coverage of non-Tesla chargers.
In SA the number of non-tesla chargers has massively increased and still growing. I can now go places (if I wanted to) using other chargers that I could not with the tesla supercharger network (we get 4 supercharger locations in SA).
For me though, the benefit is slow chargers in carparks such as the airport for my day trips. Extra wide car space, free charging, and right near the entrance. Works for all EV