Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, Just took delivery of a Model 3 Highland last Thursday, and it hasn't yet downloaded the Holiday update. Is there any hard and fast rules around when an update will become available for newly purchased cars? I know new cars are shipped with older software "for stability purposes". Just wondering if there is a general time list, or kms travelled etc before an update can be installed. Cheers!
slightly off topic - does your car have ultrasonic sensors? I'll be interested to know if you have high fidelity parking visualisation after you install the holiday update

That Powerwall zoom out left me stunned - not in a good way. WTF were they thinking when testing it even on semi newer smartphones/ tablets. Another beyond belief. Don't mind the dark ghosted car graphic till connection is establish.
Looks like someone at tesla finally got around to testing the app for powerwall. An update has just been released reversing the graphics change. You can force it from the app store.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Wifi connection and opening the software tab on the car settings to let it search for an update. Will let you do a manual search this way once in a 24 hour period. If a software update is out, I find most of the time this manual search will bring it up. Otherwise if just letting the car find it itself, can take a week or two to show up.
No USS. Will let you know how the visualisation goes after update. Yep, have the "advanced" setting. But can't see where I can refresh software update. that might come after the first update perhaps.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips!

No USS. Will let you know how the visualisation goes after update. Yep, have the "advanced" setting. But can't see where I can refresh software update. that might come after the first update perhaps.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips!
1704345928031.png

If you go to the software update tab you will see something like this.
Here it is showing,
'Your car software is up to date as of Jul 3 15:17'
The date shown is the last time the car checked for an update. This is now limited to one per 24 hour period. So if the date is from the last 24 hours it has done a recent check. If not and data is functioning it should try to do a new check and update the date.

Reactions: DougalVizsla
View attachment 1005665

If you go to the software update tab you will see something like this.
Here it is showing,
'Your car software is up to date as of Jul 3 15:17'
The date shown is the last time the car checked for an update. This is now limited to one per 24 hour period. So if the date is from the last 24 hours it has done a recent check. If not and data is functioning it should try to do a new check and update the date.
ah yes - thank you for the description. And confirming mine has checked for an update today. Thank you Richard!

I used the new M8 connection to the underground Rozelle spaghetti junction yesterday for the first time, and the Tesla Nav and TACC got completely and utterly confused. It was part hilarious and part scary.

The hilarious part is that the Nav had absolutely no idea where I was. The M8 tunnel from Beverly Hills to St Peters is very long, and now with the M8 extension to Rozelle, even longer, so the dead reckoning gets more and more ’off’ the further you go. But what really threw it was the Nav wanted me to take the Euston Rd exit at St Peters, which is where the M8 used to end, but I kept going straight ahead to get to Rozelle on the new section of tunnel.

Well, the Nav thought I was driving on the surface streets, which in the Inner West, are short and very close together. So I was hit with an incessant “turn left at… turn right at… turn right at… turn left at…” without any pause between the directions. It actually made me laugh out loud. It would then get so confused the Nav blue line would turn off for a bit while it tried to work out what to do next.

The scary bit was how TACC behaved. On two occasions, the Nav thought I was approaching a T-intersection on a surface street at speed. And so TACC aggressively braked. Not a temporary phantom braking due to other traffic, but serious deceleration in order for me to not slam into the phantom kerb opposite the T-intersection it thought I was approaching.

I had to turn TACC off. It was that bad. Luckily this was late on a Sunday evening and I had the tunnel to myself, so there was no chance of rear-ending, but a warning to anyone else using this piece of road until the Nav and maps get updated.

It wasn’t until I emerged on the City West Link that the Nav finally worked out where I was.

I used the new M8 connection to the underground Rozelle spaghetti junction yesterday for the first time, and the Tesla Nav and TACC got completely and utterly confused. It was part hilarious and part scary.

The hilarious part is that the Nav had absolutely no idea where I was. The M8 tunnel from Beverly Hills to St Peters is very long, and now with the M8 extension to Rozelle, even longer, so the dead reckoning gets more and more ’off’ the further you go. But what really threw it was the Nav wanted me to take the Euston Rd exit at St Peters, which is where the M8 used to end, but I kept going straight ahead to get to Rozelle on the new section of tunnel.

Well, the Nav thought I was driving on the surface streets, which in the Inner West, are short and very close together. So I was hit with an incessant “turn left at… turn right at… turn right at… turn left at…” without any pause between the directions. It actually made me laugh out loud. It would then get so confused the Nav blue line would turn off for a bit while it tried to work out what to do next.

The scary bit was how TACC behaved. On two occasions, the Nav thought I was approaching a T-intersection on a surface street at speed. And so TACC aggressively braked. Not a temporary phantom braking due to other traffic, but serious deceleration in order for me to not slam into the phantom kerb opposite the T-intersection it thought I was approaching.

I had to turn TACC off. It was that bad. Luckily this was late on a Sunday evening and I had the tunnel to myself, so there was no chance of rear-ending, but a warning to anyone else using this piece of road until the Nav and maps get updated.

It wasn’t until I emerged on the City West Link that the Nav finally worked out where I was.
Yes, had the same problem recently in my Camry, not using TACC of course, but Google Maps had no idea the new tunnel existed. Was a little surprising, I thought Google Maps at least ususally has planned roads in there so you could still navigate, at least that's what I've found with new roads in the past.

Reactions: X Æ A-12
Yes, had the same problem recently in my Camry, not using TACC of course, but Google Maps had no idea the new tunnel existed. Was a little surprising, I thought Google Maps at least ususally has planned roads in there so you could still navigate, at least that's what I've found with new roads in the past.
I remember when Apple Maps first came out, for the first couple of weeks, it wanted me to be driving on the other side of the motorway. That would have been fun!

Reactions: Jules22
Google Maps has had the new tunnels for a couple of weeks now, but the Tesla maps seem to lag quite badly behind. This is sad and a bit surprising, since Tesla uses Google's mapping services under the hood, but I presume they need to download and cache them because the car may not always have network access.

Google Maps has had the new tunnels for a couple of weeks now, but the Tesla maps seem to lag quite badly behind. This is sad and a bit surprising, since Tesla uses Google's mapping services under the hood, but I presume they need to download and cache them because the car may not always have network access.
Yeah, makes sense there is a delay between Google adding roads and being implemented in Tesla, it was about 2 weeks ago when I drove through and they definitely weren't there then, so not sure when it got added.

I wonder if this was just an oversight that they weren't in Google Maps as a planned road or if they've changed things? I can definitely remember for example all of the new sections of the M1 between Sydney and Brisbane being there as planned well before they opened and I assume this greatly sped up the implementation of them once they actually opened as well as providing some basic navigation ability for users in the meantime.

Reactions: DougalVizsla
This is sad and a bit surprising, since Tesla uses Google's mapping services under the hood
That’s partially true, Tesla only use Google Maps’ map tiles (ie. the road graphics) the actual navigation is done by MapBox. The Tesla nav would be so much better if it was just straight Google Maps and their navigation routing too.

For what it's worth, it does seem to work fine for cars with Google Built In (ie the Volvo and Polestar)
That’s partially true, Tesla only use Google Maps’ map tiles (ie. the road graphics) the actual navigation is done by MapBox. The Tesla nav would be so much better if it was just straight Google Maps and their navigation routing too.
I saw a post on Facebook this week suggesting that Tesla also uses TomTom data, at least for roads? As such - put your suggestions into TomTom's MapShare web app for inclusion in future updates.

Apple did the same prior to rolling out their own maps - they used TomTom routing and road data, but their own POI database.

Reactions: dasn
Tesla only use Google Maps’ map tiles (ie. the road graphics) the actual navigation is done by MapBox.
Quite a few threads on this forum and no+one has been able to nail down exactly what they use or the frequency of refresh.
Other things seem to be sourced from TomTom and OSM.. and combined using opensource Valhalla.
In China Tesla reportedly uses Baidu maps which also provides 3d interchange signs and diagrams.

Reactions: dasn

I use the Westconnex tunnel between Ashfield and Sydney Olympic Park
the car has never really worked out that there's a tunnel, even with relatively recent acknowledgement that I'm driving on the M4 rather than Parramatta Rd
I sometimes wonder whether it's using the speed limits of the above-ground roads as well