Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I got from this is that Google might be upgrading some of their satellite maps, so far in my area they have not done that for over a decade. When I look at my house on Google maps, I had solar installed on the roof 8 years ago, but map images still dont have solar. There are also multipole buildings that have been built in that time and some that have been torn down and none of it has been in google maps satellite images.
So I went to google maps web this morning and it appears to be updated for my area. The colors and resolution is way worse than before, but at least it has solar panels on my roof now. From the looks of it the image is still more than 6 months old as I had the roof pressure washed then and this roof looks as dirty as neighbours. Also street view is more than few years old (at least 4-5 years old).
Yes, our Google Maps images are now 2024 but the quality of the maps has declined significantly. It smells to me like a cost saving measure.

My query relates to Plugshare. Is that where Tesla gets the charging data? In Europe I thought third party providers (who wanted to be included in Tesla Nav) had to regularly log the data to Tesla as part of their submissions to be included in Tesla Nav. Is that how it works? Would NRMA and others have submitted their details to Tesla and ongoing send reliability and charging data? Or do our cars send info each time we charge at a third party charger and log usage and success/failure?
It doesn't get it from Plugshare.

Tesla cars do send back anonymised information on charging sessions, if you've opted in. It's one of the categories of data that you get asked about sending back to the mothership.

Tesla cars do send back anonymised information on charging sessions, if you've opted in. It's one of the categories of data that you get asked about sending back to the mothership.
Aha, thanks for that useful information. It does seem a very sensible way to do it and presumably therefore highly automated as to which third party chargers are considered acceptable to the Tesla Nav.

Just finished the first part of a multi day longer trip, first one in several months. I noticed a number of changes:
- NoA apparently can no longer be activated/deactivated at the push of a single button while navigating somewhere, but only via the autopilot menu, and that requires putting the car in park.
- There's a long string of useless nav messages that ask me to keep right at every motorway exit (to stay on the motorway). That's new (to me).
- The hand on wheel detection has become more sensitive, so much so, that I have to actively jiggle the steering wheel every few minutes. There appear to be different categories of messages being triggered: the standard one when it thinks no hand is on the wheel, and one where the car detects roadworks cones.
- Auto high beams is markedly better than it used to be (a year or more ago, I never tried it again since the abject failure it used to be). What I don't understand is why it waits 5 seconds after the opposing traffic has passed to bring the high beams back. It's especially right after the opposing traffic has passed that high beams are useful as I'm usually blinded by the inevitably poorly adjusted low beams of the other car.

Not new, but needlessly annoying (and noted many times in the past):
- The latter "keep hands on wheel" always beeps at me, even if I have the hand with notable pressure on the wheel. Very annoying. Especially as the car often detects country style reflector road side markers as roadworks markers.
- Lastly, the 40 speed limit detection between Quirindi and Boggabri is unfortunately still a thing. No sign, nothing there, just never ending beautiful landscape. But the car suddenly sets the limit to 40 (in a 100 zone). Car limits autosteer speed to 40. It's about 10km to the next 100 km/h sign (where it correctly resets).

The last point amplifies that Tesla really and pretty please need to implement a speed detection undo. It wouldn't be hard to do. Every time it thinks the limit has changed, pop up a message on the screen with two big buttons, "OK" and "UNDO", and self destruct the message after 10 seconds or so. They could even use that for training the NN when it does false detections.

Reactions: Maximillan
Just finished the first part of a multi day longer trip, first one in several months. I noticed a number of changes:
- NoA apparently can no longer be activated/deactivated at the push of a single button while navigating somewhere, but only via the autopilot menu, and that requires putting the car in park.
- There's a long string of useless nav messages that ask me to keep right at every motorway exit (to stay on the motorway). That's new (to me).
- The hand on wheel detection has become more sensitive, so much so, that I have to actively jiggle the steering wheel every few minutes. There appear to be different categories of messages being triggered: the standard one when it thinks no hand is on the wheel, and one where the car detects roadworks cones.
- Auto high beams is markedly better than it used to be (a year or more ago, I never tried it again since the abject failure it used to be). What I don't understand is why it waits 5 seconds after the opposing traffic has passed to bring the high beams back. It's especially right after the opposing traffic has passed that high beams are useful as I'm usually blinded by the inevitably poorly adjusted low beams of the other car.

Not new, but needlessly annoying (and noted many times in the past):
- The latter "keep hands on wheel" always beeps at me, even if I have the hand with notable pressure on the wheel. Very annoying. Especially as the car often detects country style reflector road side markers as roadworks markers.
- Lastly, the 40 speed limit detection between Quirindi and Boggabri is unfortunately still a thing. No sign, nothing there, just never ending beautiful landscape. But the car suddenly sets the limit to 40 (in a 100 zone). Car limits autosteer speed to 40. It's about 10km to the next 100 km/h sign (where it correctly resets).

The last point amplifies that Tesla really and pretty please need to implement a speed detection undo. It wouldn't be hard to do. Every time it thinks the limit has changed, pop up a message on the screen with two big buttons, "OK" and "UNDO", and self destruct the message after 10 seconds or so. They could even use that for training the NN when it does false detections.

I have also just returned from driving nearly 3000km in Queensland. I don't have EAP so can't comment on that, but agree about auto highbeams. I had also given up on them last year, but they are better now except for taking too long to turn back on. They were still tricked into turning off due to reflections from a few large signs, but at least they didn't repeatedly blind incoming drivers like they did last year. At least you can flick them back on manually (push forward on left stick) and have them flick down again automatically when the next car approaches. That was pretty usable.

I still found the highway speed sign detection to be too inaccurate, meaning that I couldn't use autosteer at times. I also had repeated phantom slowdowns on TACC (dropping 30+km below the speed limit and indicated target speed without any apparent reason).

It is frustrating not to be able to rely on cruise control to avoid speeding through construction zones, because the car just freaks out and tries to slow right down. I did find that behaviour seemed to be improved by applying very light pressure to the throttle, as though reassuring the car that it was ok to maintain the indicated speed, but not enough pressure to actually accelerate. Other cars don't need to be babied like that.

Autowipers remain hilariously bad - usually much too slow - and needed to be manually overridden almost always.

Reactions: louco73
Thought:

Tesla steering: Comfort/normal/sport

What's is the relative steering wheel torque necessary to prevent AutoSteer SinBin

I've never had a SinBin Strike but I set the steering to Normal. I wonder what setting others have who had gotten SinBin strikes

What I got from this is that Google might be upgrading some of their satellite maps, so far in my area they have not done that for over a decade. When I look at my house on Google maps, I had solar installed on the roof 8 years ago, but map images still dont have solar.

The default satellite imagery shown at a given location is not necessarily the most recent. On the desktop version of Google Earth, if you click the clock icon to view historical imagery, sometimes you can actually scroll forward in time to more recent imagery. However it is usually lower resolution. At least that’s what I get when I look at my house.

I think GE by default displays the most recent imagery that is equal to or above some minimum resolution threshold.

Also Apple Maps “Look Around” feature is more recent than Google Streetview, and also much higher resolution.

Reactions: Davemcd and AusMar
The default satellite imagery shown at a given location is not necessarily the most recent. On the desktop version of Google Earth, if you click the clock icon to view historical imagery, sometimes you can actually scroll forward in time to more recent imagery. However it is usually lower resolution. At least that’s what I get when I look at my house.

I think GE by default displays the most recent imagery that is equal to or above some minimum resolution threshold.

Also Apple Maps “Look Around” feature is more recent than Google Streetview, and also much higher resolution.
Agree.

Google led the way when they mapped and imaged the entire planet, with all the road views thrown in. However, they now do not keep up to date on the free mapping satellite images, and/or street view. This is all about cost. The lower res images will be as a result of using different (cheaper) satellite services to provide those images. This is especially noticeable in parts of Australia. If you look in North America, I'd doubt you will see this much (if at all). Our smaller less dense population means we don't provide as much for them to monetise (ie grabbing and selling all your data and meta-data), so they spend less on us. Simple business principle really, and I doubt that will change.

In having to catch up, Apple has taken a looong time to get there, but it does seem like they may well be passing Google in the satellite and street view stakes. I'm an Apple-ite for many decades, but I still use Google for mapping/routing, as I find Apple can be a little off the mark on best route - but getting better.
Apple aren't in this to grab and sell your data like Google, they are about securing you to their platform, so I expect to see continued improvements here from them. This will never end up on your Tesla though, as the two companies are, unfortunately, diametrically opposed. Tesla could gain a lot from just a little Apple in their approach to UI, usability and integration.

Sorry for being too off topic.

Little premature to update the exits until the construction is complete.
Told ya, @Max Spaghetti .. now they are back to the old route 🤣

1708027643650.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Max Spaghetti
By-the-by, mostly the aerial imagery isn't from a satellite - it tends to be taken from an aircraft (particularly the higher resolution / better quality stuff).

Well Google historically has mostly used Maxar (ex Digital Globe) for its imagery, which uses low-earth orbit satellites at 400-700 km altitude. Best resolution from that is about 30cm. The advantage is they can capture over 1 million sq km of globe per day, every day.

Companies like Nearmap use aerial photography. Resolution is obviously much better - a few cm. Downside is that requires lots of flights, so they do captures of a given area only a few times per year, and coverage is nowhere near global, only larger populated areas.

... and I'm just getting 2024.2.6 at a rest stop on the Golden hwy. Sadly nothing of relevance for my S. But the 3 and Y crowd here should be happy with some useful new features. on the upside I'll get to immediately verify "features" for the next 4h driving home...