Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's awesome, I didn't know we had that. It was great having that on our previous car. I suppose this only happens if we have the recirculate air function switched to auto. I've found that the AC likes having recirculation on a lot to help with cooling the car & maintaining the coolness during summer, so I turn the AC onto manually "no recirculation" mode. I like fresh air, even if it means the AC working harder than it otherwise would. For the same reason I like fresh air, I don't like CO or NOx, so auto-recirculating for these reasons only would be nice.
Indeed it's much more efficient for the AC to cool pre-conditioned (cooled or heated) air, so in auto recirculation mode, it will normally switch to recirculate. What's missing in this setup is a CO2 sensor on the inside air flow to draw in fresh air if it CO2 levels go high - although I doubt our cars are air tight enough for this to be an issue. It does have a humidity sensor though in the mixer stage, and when that gets too high, it'll use the heater/ac combo to dry the air. I think it emulates a split mode where it draws some fresh air from the outside by periodically switching to outside air, similar to how aircraft are doing it: Bleed air from the engines replaces about 30% of the air in circulation in the cabin. There's no recirculate only mode in aircraft, hence the lovely smell of jet fuel exhaust when engines are started on the ground with the tail facing into the wind (or when sitting directly downwind of another aircraft).

Reactions: Zinzilla and bcarp
Indeed it's much more efficient for the AC to cool pre-conditioned (cooled or heated) air, so in auto recirculation mode, it will normally switch to recirculate. What's missing in this setup is a CO2 sensor on the inside air flow to draw in fresh air if it CO2 levels go high - although I doubt our cars are air tight enough for this to be an issue. It does have a humidity sensor though in the mixer stage, and when that gets too high, it'll use the heater/ac combo to dry the air. I think it emulates a split mode where it draws some fresh air from the outside by periodically switching to outside air, similar to how aircraft are doing it: Bleed air from the engines replaces about 30% of the air in circulation in the cabin. There's no recirculate only mode in aircraft, hence the lovely smell of jet fuel exhaust when engines are started on the ground with the tail facing into the wind (or when sitting directly downwind of another aircraft).
Bioweapon defense mode suggests the cars are reasonably airtight, and in that mode no fresh air enters.

well, sort of, but not really: In bioweapon mode the aircon system simply pumps massive amounts of air into the car via HEPA filter to create positive pressure inside. Of course the air leaks out (as fast as it comes in once sufficient pressure has built up inside), otherwise you'd end up in a Titanic submersible situation with more pressure than you can handle. ;)

In fact, I just measured it with a barometric altimeter: In bioweapon mode, the pressure increase inside the cabin corresponds to an altitude differential of 2.75 meters at sea level. This corresponds to 0.33 hPa pressure difference (or 0.005 psi for those who like to imagine pounds and square inches).

Now you know!

Edit: I'm actually surprised how little that is. I would have thought that there are negative air pressures in the wake zone of the vehicle when driving that vastly surpass that pressure differential. Therefore air would be pushed in through the hatch seals when driving at speed. Not so bio weapon safe!

So, my Model 3 just updated from 2024.2.2.1 to 2024.2.3. A few minutes after it finished updating, my phone got an alert from the car saying this:
"Battery charge level too low. Vehicle consumes battery power while idle. Charge now to ensure vehicle will start and avoid potential battery damage."
So I thought that was strange as I charged the car to 75% before the update started, so I went to the car and it shows current battery charge to be 73%. Not sure if that new update is glitching or if the alert is just wrong. Anyone else see anything like that after updating to the 2024.2.3 version?

So, my Model 3 just updated from 2024.2.2.1 to 2024.2.3. A few minutes after it finished updating, my phone got an alert from the car saying this:
"Battery charge level too low. Vehicle consumes battery power while idle. Charge now to ensure vehicle will start and avoid potential battery damage."
So I thought that was strange as I charged the car to 75% before the update started, so I went to the car and it shows current battery charge to be 73%. Not sure if that new update is glitching or if the alert is just wrong. Anyone else see anything like that after updating to the 2024.2.3 version?
Isn’t that a warning for the 12v battery?

That's the warning you get if you park with less than 10% remaining - it must have miscommunicated with the BMS during the update somehow.

I didn't see that during the update but just sounds like a temporary glitch to me.

Message to the Rocketman:

Rather than doing meaningless software updates, Can you please do a software update so that....
The Aircon system uses ...
Camera AI/neural net to detect visible diesel exhaust fumes from the surrounding cars

to automatically switch to
BioWeapons defence mode when visible exhaust fumes are detected

Reactions: elddum
Message to the Rocketman:

Rather than doing meaningless software updates, Can you please do a software update so that....

Camera AI/neural net to detect visible diesel exhaust fumes from the surrounding cars

BioWeapons defence mode when visible exhaust fumes are detected
That would be cool, although I would settle for:
A "tropical" setting which maintains a higher fan speed all the time, regardless of what else the air conditioner is doing. At higher temperatures, airflow is the best way to keep people comfortable. Higher airflow means we can save energy by setting the thermostat higher. The current "High" fan setting on auto is not high enough and it is a shame to be forced to switch to manual mode just to increase the fan speed.

While we are at it, maybe the Auto Wipers could realise that they are operating too slowly when I press the wiper button multiple times in a short period of time.

FWIW, I received 2024.2.3 and the only user interface change appears to be that the car will now issue a reminder to plug it in at home, if its battery is below 50%.

Reactions: elddum
the only user interface change appears to be that the car will now issue a reminder to plug it in at home, if its battery is below 50%.
Im not getting the notification
3 charging sessions now from below 50% to 50% SoC

A "tropical" setting which maintains a higher fan speed all the time
I have mine on "manual" and fan speed stays at the last setting of "10"

Reactions: JonDarian
FWIW, I received 2024.2.3 and the only user interface change appears to be that the car will now issue a reminder to plug it in at home, if its battery is below 50%.
Since upgrade to 2024.2.3 I got that low charge level warning with charge being at 73% and I also got alert on screen that my premium connectivity has run out, though it auto renews so not sure why it would warn about that. Also looks like everything continues to work as expected including the live remote view of cameras, so somewhere in the system it knows it has premium connectivity. I have rebooted the car after each of those alerts, so I wonder if it will sort itself out after a while or will need another update to get over the glitches.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Tesla has been promising that for longer than I have owned a Tesla and in the past 5 years of ownership some updates make it slightly better, some make it worse, but at no time have the wipers been as good as my old Merc from 2001 had with standard rain sensor.
I concur. Today, I was in a downpour and the auto wipers were yet again hopeless/dangerous. Saying "Wipers maximum" got me out of bother and max speed was able to cope whereas the auto setting would not go faster than intermittent wiping.