Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that a bad thing?. I'm still 2.7
Still on 2024.2.7, checking daily.

Is it a bad thing? Probably not… but concerning when several different higher major versions have had several updates… and some owners out there with same local spec have got updates… begs the question what are we missing?

For me looking forward to adaptive headlights.

Reactions: Way69 and dronus
First it was "Smart Summon", now it's "Actually Smart Summon". When is "Really Smart Summon" coming out?
I’m waiting for “True Genius Summon” 🤣

Don’t get why Tesla think just changing the name improves the capability or customers acceptance of lack of capability. (eg Full Self Drive).

Having been in the software industry for decades, experience shows that this approach just p@&$es your customers off. Same thing by making a major version number change with no step change in functionality. For a tech company they seem quite naive with this sort of thing.
Is the marketing team from the 90s in charge?

I’m waiting for “True Genius Summon” 🤣

Don’t get why Tesla think just changing the name improves the capability or customers acceptance of lack of capability. (eg Full Self Drive).

Having been in the software industry for decades, experience shows that this approach just p@&$es your customers off. Same thing by making a major version number change with no step change in functionality. For a tech company they seem quite naive with this sort of thing.
Is the marketing team from the 90s in charge?
Probably because tesla’s largest market is not software ‘geeks’, but rather people who fall for marketing names and pointless gimmicks. You only have to look at tesla’s movement away from sensible model names like ‘75d’ to names like ‘highland’ to see a tesla realisation that car brands at their price point use pointless names because the majority of their market respond to it at the price point tesla sell into. Anyone for a hemi engine? Anyone notice premium brands like merc, audi, bmw keep it simple with X3, A4, c class (tesla started there with ‘model S’ ) yet cheaper brands use yaris, commodore, mustang, sigma, highland etc. So yes for tech marketting its wrong, but for car marketting it isn’t. I’d say marketting geniuses in action. The massive sales numbers are ample proof that they know exactly what they are doing

Reactions: elddum
Software (and car) marketing is like fashion marketing: rinse and repeat on a 10-20 year cycle - depending on how badly the previous incarnation of philosophy X tanked/failed to deliver, it takes longer or shorter. Same things with new names keep coming back. So I'd say it's the millenial's kids that are now starting to move into positions with a say. All 3 of them who decided to go work for a living rather than becoming influencers.

If you don’t force a check for updates by going to the software tab (which is limited to once per 24hrs), how often does it normally check for updates? Feels like this is a bit arbitrary?
It does do it automatically in the background and if I recall correctly you get a push notification from the app if you have them turned on. It should also appear in the app and on the screen when it’s available.
That what I recall in my extremely limited experience.
Nothing here still but by me mentioning it in at the back of the queue again haha.

Weird how Apple can push out so many updates simultaneously to millions of devices, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Jules22
I'm not sure that it entirely does. There is an auto update function but it requires wifi and usually updates overnight and. And I'm not sure that it is available to all iPhones at the same time.
Apple is a different system. It uses Akamai and their worldwide server infrastructure to supply updates. When you look for an Apple update your software is pointed to the closest server for downloads and this can vary in each geo depending on the burden of updates from each of the server piers. Tesla is centralised on the US mother ship most likely. Apple invested millions in Akamai in its early years.

Anyone notice premium brands like merc, audi, bmw keep it simple with X3, A4, c class (tesla started there with ‘model S’ ) yet cheaper brands use yaris, commodore, mustang, sigma, highland etc
..elise, testarossa, countach, panamera, quattroporte.. yeah you're right ;)

"highland" isn't a customer-facing name anyway - it's more for communicating with investors. The word isn't mentioned once on the Tesla Model 3 page from what I can see.

Reactions: Jules22