Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spotted on Whirlpool today.. surprised this hasn't spread through the rumour mills like wildfire!

The following have appeared on vehicles in the US.

Tesla Vision Park Assist
This feature has now been added to vehicles with ultrasonic sensors (USS) and AMD processors (MCU 3). Under Controls > Autopilot, you now have a new option to continue using measurements with USS, or use the new high-fidelity park assist without measurements displayed.

Vehicles with Intel processors (MCU 2), are not receiving this feature at this time.

Autopark Update
This feature is now available for vehicles with ultrasonic sensors.

Spotted on Whirlpool today.. surprised this hasn't spread through the rumour mills like wildfire!

The following have appeared on vehicles in the US.

I assumed that's tied in with FSD 12 and not something that will apply here with that particular update?

I'm pretty sure that in the US, those without SFSD are in the same boat as us. Park assist only with EAP. Those without SFSD are up to version 2024.8.x - same as us.

Those with SFSD are on a separate branch 2024.3.x.
As soon as park assist is available for highland that will be my trigger to buy EAP, hopefully soon 🤷

Reactions: Max Spaghetti
Tesla Vision Park Assist
This feature has now been added to vehicles with ultrasonic sensors (USS) and AMD processors (MCU 3). Under Controls > Autopilot, you now have a new option to continue using measurements with USS, or use the new high-fidelity park assist without measurements displayed.

Vehicles with Intel processors (MCU 2), are not receiving this feature at this time.

Very interesting to see significant features differences between the older Intel models and the newer AMD Ryzen models.
That's going to annoy a lot of early Model 3 owners.

Last edited:
There is some justification in being annoyed. When Elon stated that "this is the last car you'll ever need to buy", one could not be faulted for assuming that Elon, generally a reasonably bright chap when he's not on a ketamine induced rant, knew that this means the compute form factors would have to remain the same for all time to come to accommodate simple drop in replacements when better performing hardware becomes available.

Alas, no compute upgrades for us gullible folk. So instead, it looks like our cars are on the same obsolescence timescale as our laptops. Which is still fairly good if you have a Macbook, but you're screwed with any branded OEM porta-ploppies. It seems Tesla is running on the latter scale, with new features not available on cars more than 2 years old.

There is some justification in being annoyed. When Elon stated that "this is the last car you'll ever need to buy", one could not be faulted for assuming that Elon, generally a reasonably bright chap when he's not on a ketamine induced rant, knew that this means the compute form factors would have to remain the same for all time to come to accommodate simple drop in replacements when better performing hardware becomes available.

Alas, no compute upgrades for us gullible folk. So instead, it looks like our cars are on the same obsolescence timescale as our laptops. Which is still fairly good if you have a Macbook, but you're screwed with any branded OEM porta-ploppies. It seems Tesla is running on the latter scale, with new features not available on cars more than 2 years old.
I cant really comment on Macbook or most branded OEM porta-ploppies, but my Dell Latitude 7290 laptop from 2018 is going real strong and great still. I only upgraded RAM in it from original 8GB to 32GB and plan to run it for at least few more years as its only 6 years old now.
With a car the hardware, it is usually supposed to last the life of the car, so should be still usable 10-20 years down the line, but cannot be expected to be equivalent of the latest generation hardware, With the Tesla taking rather large piece of the market, I would expect that if they do not offer hardware upgrades, there will be 3rd party companies popping up when market is large enough to start making retrofits for newer hardware with possibly adapters between systems or customised connectors on newer hardware. Personally not really fussed as my car is great in its current state.

Reactions: dronus and Jules22

Yeah, a modular design that allowed upgrades to parts like the computer, cameras, mobile network connection, etc would have been really nice and make good use of the "always being upgraded OTA" ethos that Tesla espouses.

Hmmm… well I didn’t think that. Mind you I don’t recall Elon’s pronouncement at the time. And if I did, I would not have believed it anyway. It’s a ridiculous proposition. Mechanical things wear out, stuff breaks, no car is going to last forever.

So instead, it looks like our cars are on the same obsolescence timescale as our laptops. Which is still fairly good if you have a Macbook, but you're screwed with any branded OEM porta-ploppies.

(Off topic) I’ve had nothing but good experiences with Apple products. My wife has a 2013 MacBook Air. The battery recently became unusable (simply would not hold charge). I purchased a replacement battery online, installed it in about 10 minutes, and it works as good as new. Apple took back the old battery FoC for recycling. I have a 2012 MacPro that is still going completely fine, and it can still even be updated to the latest MacOS.

Apple make incredibly reliable hardware that supports OS upgrades for a very, very long time. Tech product that still works after more than 10 years and run the latest software is pretty impressive in my book.