Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Version 10.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

willow_hiller

Apr 3, 2019
Maryland
Hey all,

I hadn't seen a discussion of this anywhere here so I thought I'd start a thread.

Some recent tweets by Elon show that version 10 should be out by September, and will include a series of new features.

"V10 will include several games & infotainment features, improved highway Autopilot, better traffic light & stop sign recognition & Smart Summon"

According to a reddit post, the following feature were discussed in follow up tweets.

• Emoji support may come soon

• Some of the Infotainment features of V10 will require Premium Connectivity (the person who asked this in his tweet deleted it afterward for some reason)

• Sometime after V10 we can expect an update that includes the inertial wheel GPS for indoor spaces

• Will include a text message phone feature that reads messages through the speaker and can text back for you via voice

• Elon: "Hoping to get “Joe Mode” into V10. The default, of course, is normal volume, but selecting “Joe Mode” would lower the volume of strident beeps & chimes by half."

Tesla has been adding functionality to this car every month or more since I bought it.
It’s one of the most (because there are many) under rated features of this awesome car.
I always look forward to them.
Elon wanted to make a fun car. He far exceeded this goal. :)

The only real updates to me is LDA/ELDA

I’m not complaining about the games, but they don’t count and sometimes feel like a distraction because they are behind on the real meat.

I no longer use NoA at all. It’s basically a menace. AutoSteer is all I use and it worked a little better on V8 (no phantom braking).

I look foreword to V10, but Considering FSD is feature complete by end of year it sounds pretty small scale.

I Get tired of posts like “my car gets better every day”. I’m disappointed in the rate of real progress in almost a year.

First I absolutely love my Model 3 that I've had for more than a year now, and I love that they keep improving things. However one of the things I'm disappointed in is the lack of improvements/additions of voice commands. With the lack of physical/tactile buttons I thought this would be higher priority. Things like:

Set drivers side temp to 72.
Lower rear windows
Set profile to "mom"
Open glove box
Turn Wipers On/Auto/Off
Set screen to lock mode.
Lock Doors
and many many more...

Maybe they added some and I just don't know about, but those are just a few on the top of my head.

Progress is good, but the V10 in September report is somewhat underwhelming... Even with V10, basic features that our other cars have had for years, are still missing/lacking....

Edit: Because someone will likely ask, "What features?," I've added this edit. When compared to our Subaru, the list is quite long - especially in the safety and convenience area. Some examples include; rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring/alert, Driver Focus Distraction Mitigation System, Reverse Automatic Braking, functional Lane Keep Assist (see "Lane Keep Assist" - Telsa vs. Subaru Eyesight (My experience)), voice commands (especially given the lack of physical knobs/settings), etc.

Last edited:
It just depends on this:

improved highway Autopilot, better traffic light & stop sign recognition & Smart Summon"

How big an improvement are we talking. Right now my model 3 does not recognize stop signs or red lights at all... so if it would stop at a stop light by itself, I would consider that a major upgrade. Also, if they combined that feature with auto lane change I think most people would consider it a major update.

I don’t have any issues with elda or LDA so I can’t really comment on all those complaints. But, for me, that is a pretty important safety update....

I find it silly to compare suburus “lane keep” to one of Tesla’s systems and not the entire system.... it’s such a worthless comparison. Turn autopilot on and you basically don’t have to worry about going into another lane...

I’m not sure what you are talking about with blind spot monitoring, but if I put on my blinker to turn and there is a car in my blind spot the lane I’m changing too turns red...

Last edited:
Progress is good, but the V10 in September report is somewhat underwhelming... Even with V10, basic features that our other cars have had for years, are still missing/lacking....

Edit: Because someone will likely ask, "What features?," I've added this edit. When compared to our Subaru, the list is quite long - especially in the safety and convenience area. Some examples include; rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring/alert, Driver Focus Distraction Mitigation System, Reverse Automatic Braking, functional Lane Keep Assist (see "Lane Keep Assist" - Telsa vs. Subaru Eyesight (My experience)), voice commands (especially given the lack of physical knobs/settings), etc.

Yes, yes, yes.

One my favorite features on my Jeep is rear cross path detection and rear automatic braking. Kind of amazed it doesn’t exist on Tesla’s. I have a TeslaCam video of a Tesla technician backing a Model S into the side of another Model S that could have used it ;)

I don’t think the blind spot is to bad on the Model 3 now, it’s just implemented very differently than everyone else.

Most Superchargers aren't covered by open wifi, are they? I imagine streaming will require premium connectivity.

They've said it will require wifi previously, and that they're planning to add it to a lot of superchargers.

Certainly at least until Tesla figures out the SUPER HARD problem of billing their own existing customers for data plans, even though they are already set up to bill the same people for charging there's not going to be anything using premium connectivity that increases bandwidth use.

Reactions: 0ptions