Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Version 10.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, just saw that. Checked the timestamps and @diplomat33 had posted it while I was typing this one!

Maybe since this thread is in the Model 3 forum and his is in the software forum, we can try and keep discussion here to 3 specific updates.

This thread is much more helpful, and more objective as well! :)

Last edited:
I’d be more excited if Bluetooth Audio streaming would come up to par with cars made 6 years ago.

You may want to be more specific because if you're referring to the bluetooth connection, it has been rock solid for me. My experience with it goes back to 2015 with my Model S where it was problematic for the first 2 years of ownership. From 2017 to present, never had another issue. I also believe Apple's bluetooth software was improved and contributed to this issue going away for me. Android phones have been historically more problematic.
The only real updates to me is LDA/ELDA

I’m not complaining about the games, but they don’t count and sometimes feel like a distraction because they are behind on the real meat.

I no longer use NoA at all. It’s basically a menace. AutoSteer is all I use and it worked a little better on V8 (no phantom braking).

I look foreword to V10, but Considering FSD is feature complete by end of year it sounds pretty small scale.

I Get tired of posts like “my car gets better every day”. I’m disappointed in the rate of real progress in almost a year.

Not sure why several have disagreed with your comment, but I feel somewhat the same way and I am a huge Tesla fan. AutoSteer and Summon are the only features that stand out on this car. NOA does not work well for me either and my experience has been the speed setting for on-ramps being incorrect and unsafe. I have reported them several times through the bug report. I love this car, but yes their should be less resources placed on video games and give us something like phone mirroring to our 15" screen and improvements to EAP. Let's not let our fanboy feelings keep us from being practical about the evaluation of our cars. I still think they are the best vehicles on the market, but need improvement.

First I absolutely love my Model 3 that I've had for more than a year now, and I love that they keep improving things. However one of the things I'm disappointed in is the lack of improvements/additions of voice commands. With the lack of physical/tactile buttons I thought this would be higher priority. Things like:

Open glove box
Hmmm, help me understand this one. I must be missing something. If I want the glove box to be opened, then I likely want to reach over and access something in there, so it isn't that hard for me to just push the button along the way. I'm already distracted by reaching in the box. If my passenger wants in there, the button is right in front of them. So what am I missing. It's Sunday and my brain is still asleep. :D

One my favorite features on my Jeep is rear cross path detection and rear automatic braking. Kind of amazed it doesn’t exist on Tesla’s. I have a TeslaCam video of a Tesla technician backing a Model S into the side of another Model S that could have used it ;).

So if reversing blind out of a parking space cos mpv is beside you, its not going to warn you if something is coming ? How good is the rear view camera? As you say, with x camera around you and all the safety systems, it sounds like an obvious omission.

You may want to be more specific because if you're referring to the bluetooth connection, it has been rock solid for me. My experience with it goes back to 2015 with my Model S where it was problematic for the first 2 years of ownership. From 2017 to present, never had another issue. I also believe Apple's bluetooth software was improved and contributed to this issue going away for me. Android phones have been historically more problematic.

Not sure why several have disagreed with your comment, but I feel somewhat the same way and I am a huge Tesla fan. AutoSteer and Summon are the only features that stand out on this car. NOA does not work well for me either and my experience has been the speed setting for on-ramps being incorrect and unsafe. I have reported them several times through the bug report. I love this car, but yes their should be less resources placed on video games and give us something like phone mirroring to our 15" screen and improvements to EAP. Let's not let our fanboy feelings keep us from being practical about the evaluation of our cars. I still think they are the best vehicles on the market, but need improvement.

Let’s see, you can’t browse playlists, artists, search for music, navigate Apple Radio/Google Play Music, etc on an iPhone or Android while using USB or bluetooth. You literally and illegally (distracted driving) have to use your phone to navigate anything more than skip song or previous song. It’s a well documented shortcoming around these parts. The absence of Android Auto and Apple Carplay further exacerbate the music shortcomings for anything short of Slacker.

Not sure why several have disagreed with your comment, but I feel somewhat the same way and I am a huge Tesla fan. AutoSteer and Summon are the only features that stand out on this car. NOA does not work well for me either and my experience has been the speed setting for on-ramps being incorrect and unsafe.

This seems to be pretty YMMV by location and condition... it has generally worked well for me, often letting me go an hour or more including changing highways with no intervention on my part- but there are a couple of specific spots I'm aware it's unable to handle so if I'm going that way I've learned to take over.

I have reported them several times through the bug report.

Word on the street is those reports just stay on the car, and aren't sent to Tesla... they act as "bookmarks" in the log files so if you come into service for an issue related to one they can pull the report and check what the car was doing when you reported it.

I love this car, but yes their should be less resources placed on video games

Thusfar nearly 0 have been spent on that though.

The atari emulator is off-the-shelf software for example- someone at tesla maybe spent 15 minutes making a menu for the games but that's about it.

Thanks to running Linux it takes very little to run existing games on the system apart from just putting them there... but it tends to get them a lot of good, free, press for what is in reality very little work.

and give us something like phone mirroring to our 15" screen

Tesla has been incredibly, incredibly, uninterested in that since it first became a thing...(despite giving it a bit of lip service back in 2016)

In part because until recently it required taking over far too much of the screen, and on a car where so many controls (nearly all on the 3) depend on the screen and info displayed there that's a problem.

Only recently has the option to run mirroring in smaller windows really been a thing

That said- Elon did tell us V10 would read texts over the car systems at least.

and improvements to EAP. Let's not let our fanboy feelings keep us from being practical about the evaluation of our cars. I still think they are the best vehicles on the market, but need improvement.

EAP is getting smart summon when it comes out (maybe next month) but after that it's feature complete- any future new features will be FSD only.

Elon did specifically mention highway AP improvements, so that would certainly translate to EAP owners getting better behavior on existing features though.

So if reversing blind out of a parking space cos mpv is beside you, its not going to warn you if something is coming ? How good is the rear view camera? As you say, with x camera around you and all the safety systems, it sounds like an obvious omission.

Again- those systems usually use rear radar, not cameras, and the Tesla doesn't have rear radar.

Teslas solution is that it's safer to back into spots and exit them forward (and objectively, it is- that's how commercial drivers are taught to perpendicular park, and it's how the car itself parks using auto park)

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
Let’s see, you can’t browse playlists, artists, search for music, navigate Apple Radio/Google Play Music, etc on an iPhone or Android while using USB or bluetooth.

You can absolutely browse artists (and other sorting methods) and also search for music via USB (as in from a USB key)- bonus you'll get far higher quality music than bluetooth is capable of too (assuming quality source files). No playlists though.... (I suppose you can kinda make your own using folders but that's a kludge)

Again- those systems usually use rear radar, not cameras, and the Tesla doesn't have rear radar.

Teslas solution is that it's safer to back into spots and exit them forward (and objectively, it is- that's how commercial drivers are taught to perpendicular park, and it's how the car itself parks using auto park)

So I take it that auto park doesn't work on diagonal parking spaces then? Seems like another lame excuse blaming everyone else doing it wrong when its a deficiency in Tesla use case.

Hmmm, help me understand this one. I must be missing something. If I want the glove box to be opened, then I likely want to reach over and access something in there, so it isn't that hard for me to just push the button along the way. I'm already distracted by reaching in the box. If my passenger wants in there, the button is right in front of them. So what am I missing. It's Sunday and my brain is still asleep. :D

That was just an example... but What button is right in front of them? You still have to access it in the screen and unless you happen to already have that particular view up then it takes multiple taps... and that is assuming they know where it is in the first place.. just mentioned it because it would be an easy add (assuming they did the api correctly).

So I take it that auto park doesn't work on diagonal parking spaces then?

I don't think it does given you currently have to have a car on either side of the spot to use as guidance.

But diagonal spots don't generally have the same visibility problems perp. parking spots do, and traffic is generally only coming from one direction behind you- so the backup camera alone should work just fine there even with front-in parking.

S
Seems like another lame excuse blaming everyone else doing it wrong when its a deficiency in Tesla use case.

I mean, if you're pulling forward into a perp spot you are objectively doing it wrong- backing in is factually safer. There's tons of papers, studies, professional recommendations, etc all telling us this.

Progress is good, but the V10 in September report is somewhat underwhelming... Even with V10, basic features that our other cars have had for years, are still missing/lacking....

Edit: Because someone will likely ask, "What features?," I've added this edit. When compared to our Subaru, the list is quite long - especially in the safety and convenience area. Some examples include; rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring/alert, Driver Focus Distraction Mitigation System, Reverse Automatic Braking, functional Lane Keep Assist (see "Lane Keep Assist" - Telsa vs. Subaru Eyesight (My experience)), voice commands (especially given the lack of physical knobs/settings), etc.

You can’t possibly be using lane keep assist from Subaru eyesight as an example of what you want Tesla to strive for? Please tell me you’re joking. And voice commands from Subaru? They just straight up suck!

And yes, I’ve driven an Outback with those features listed over 40k miles.

So I take it that auto park doesn't work on diagonal parking spaces then? Seems like another lame excuse blaming everyone else doing it wrong when its a deficiency in Tesla use case.

I know this isn't good enough for you, but I find the rear camera good at seeing things off to the side. Backing out its able to see and it doesn't have an annoying warning beep.

Reactions: MrBadger
They've said it will require wifi previously, and that they're planning to add it to a lot of superchargers.

Video streaming over WiFi is of marginal value, since most places that reliably have WiFi (my home, shopping malls, restaurants) have better/bigger TV screens outside of the car.

I can see a rare corner case of needing to sit in the car for 20 minutes while its SuperCharing with nowhere better to go (and watching TV over WiFi), but I don't see that happening very often. At least not for me.

Certainly at least until Tesla figures out the SUPER HARD problem of billing their own existing customers for data plans, even though they are already set up to bill the same people for charging there's not going to be anything using premium connectivity that increases bandwidth use.

Split billing consumers (drivers) vs. enterprise (Tesla) over the same wireless device is a simple problem that has been solved by virtually EVERY automotive OEM that offers retail WiFi or a-la-carte infotainment packages.

Tesla may be late to the party, but this problem has been solved 5-10 years ago.

Similarly, most automotive OEMs, but not Tesla, have also figured out how to do all of the following:
  • CarPlay/Android Auto integration (my life revolves around my cell phone, not one of my cars)
  • Heads Up Display with Navigation info (great for reducing driving distractions)
  • 360 surround camera view of the vehicle (great for tight parking situations)
  • Rear cross traffic (priceless in congested parking lots)
  • Rear automatic emergency braking
  • Blind spot monitoring and alerts
  • Infrared Night Vision with animals/pedestrians detection
I've had all, or some of the above, in cars since late 2000's.
I have all of the above in my other car, today.

I'm glad Tesla might be finally filling some of the above holes with v10.

The "basic" safety features are implied in FSD. The only difference is that the FSD car handles it itself instead of the safety feature beeping to tell the driver to do it. It's a fallacy to think Tesla has to implement a feature that beeps to tell the driver to do it as a prerequisite for FSD

Nothing is implied in FSD. FSD is Elon's pipe dream / aspirational marketing pitch.

The only way to tell if it's getting anywhere close to being partially realized is observing how building-block features, that would add-up to FSD, start showing up as "safety alerts" on present day Teslas.

If they don't, you know FSD remains nothing but a bluff.
Your inability to grasp this causal relationship is mildly entertaining!

a