Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Stab At An Idealized ALASKAN Supercharger Network

I do believe there has been some sniveling from our poor brethren in TEXAS being isolated from the rest of the Supercharger network. That certainly is a terrible shame.

Okay, on to the real intent of this thread :)

I have been poring over the map, and have come up with a matrix of just SIX Superchargers that would comfortably accommodate well over 99% of Alaska's road-accessible populace. In addition, the network would cover all but approximately one percent of Alaska's interconnected road system.

Methodology:
  • I used the desideratum that SpC's are supposed to be for travel, thus made sure to emplace them outside the two population hubs of Anchorage and Fairbanks.
  • I made sure that each of the SpC sites would exist where there currently is an electrical grid - something one needs not pay attention to in other states!
  • I paid attention to the various "ends of the line" that are spurs away from the core "ovoid" that is Alaska's road system. That is, in such a fashion that travelers can get to AND BACK FROM the ends of the Seward, Sterling, Edgerton, Steese, etc., Highways.
  • I made sure travelers would avoid backtracking to get to a SpC.
  • I made the rational assumption that RESIDENTS of the two major population hubs, Anchorage and Fairbanks, would depart their homes fully charged. This bears in no way on the TOURIST to Alaska not having such charge capability.

SpC Sites:
  • Soldotna
  • Palmer
  • Cantwell
  • Salcha
  • Glennallen
  • Tok

Details BETWEEN Superchargers:
  • Soldotna-Palmer = 182 miles
  • Palmer-Cantwell = 176 miles. With many tourists also going to Talkeetna (and back from it), the distance between those SpCs rises to 204 miles
  • Cantwell-Salcha = 188 miles
  • Salcha-Glennallen = 209 miles
  • Glennallen-Palmer = 143 miles
  • Salcha-Tok = 164 miles
  • Tok-Glennallen = 139 miles. Incorporating the Nabesna Rd raises the distance to 221 miles
  • Cantwell-Glennallen via Denali Highway: 208 miles

Spurs FROM Superchargers, roundtripping BACK (that's important, hey!)

• Soldotna -
    • Kachemak-Selo: 202 miles
    • Capt. Cook SRA (beyond Nikiski): 73 miles
    • Seward: 186 miles
  • Cantwell -
    • Wonder Lake: 226 miles
    • Petersville Rd. (Forks Roadhouse): 217 miles
  • Salcha -
    • Livengood: 234 miles
    • Chena Hot Springs: 172 miles
    • Steese Hwy (old 101 Lodge): 240 miles
  • Tok -
    • AlCan Border Station (Alaska Hwy): 166 miles
    • Boundary Border Station (Taylor Hwy): 228 miles
  • Glennallen -
    • Chitina: 134 miles (the very rough road to McCarthy would be 254 miles r/t - possibly a diligent driver could proceed on this rough road to/from Currant Ridge...but unlikely farther)
    • Valdez: 238 miles
    • Lake Louise: incorporating this road into the route to Palmer makes total (o/w) distance of 181 miles
  • Palmer -
    • Point Mackenzie: 84 miles

This matrix realistically incorporates all of road-accessible, inhabited Alaska with the exception of the following: the part of the Elliot Hwy west of Livengood (ie, Minto and Manley Hot Springs); the Steese Hwy east of 101 (ie, Central, Circle and Circle Hot Springs); the Dalton Highway (ie, Coldfoot, Wiseman and Deadhorse); the Taylor Hwy north of Jack Wade Jct (ie, Eagle) and, as already noted, the easternmost miles of the Edgerton Hwy (McCarthy and Kennicott). The total population of these locations is somewhere between 500 and 550 (yes, I counted.... :) ) Given Alaska's road-accessible population of about 650,000 - out of a full total of some 730,000 - this matrix accesses OVER 99.9% of the possible population, and all but approximately 500 miles of the state's roads (again, it is not appropriate to include non-interconnected roads).

PRETTY GOOD, I SAY!!!

So when can we Alaskans have a measly six Superchargers?

I think you will realistically need at least double that amount. 210 miles between SCs in cold weather + any elevation changes seems tough even for 85kw and basically impossible for 60s even if your speed limits are low. ~100 mi intervals seem like they would be needed so we don't end up with reports of MS owners stranded in Alaska with no juice :rolleyes:

I doubt any. It's more likely the lack of owners (and population in general) in NM, OK, KS, NE IA, MO, AK, etc. that's the problem. Although going through North Dakota rather than Kansas seems to be a very odd decision as it adds many miles to a cross country trip.

But even in the 2015 plan, there doesn't seem to be a dallas to atlanta route. That's a real head scratcher. My take is that anything more than 6 months out is "wing-it" material.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to imagine the next priorities are connecting Texas to the Southwest and Southeast and connecting the Northwest to the Midwest. All are relatively small gaps to cover considering what we had just a couple months ago.

Amen to the NW to Midwest. Right now, we will have to go to LA to get to Chicago if we want to SC the entire way. 2014 map show I90 getting SC'd so maybe that's it. They also SC I84 to SLC but with one curious gap of 300 miles in Idaho. Yes, I am verbing a noun here.

how is a lack of owners in alaska causing an isolation of Texas?:tongue:
Driving around Alaska on Superchargers seems like a lot more fun than driving between Texas and Atlanta... (though important to far fewer people)

We thoroughly enjoyed two summertime road trips around Alaska. It would be nice if tourists like us could pick up a Model S at the airport in Anchorage, or better yet, drive to Alaska on Superchargers. Here's to hoping Tesla does well enough to eventually make that possible.

772: I disagree about the ~100-mile intervals; regardless, it would not take anywhere near a doubling to lower the distance-between-SpC loop to make the distances far smaller. The other routes - the legs outward from that loop, are a different story.

Ahem.
Just to get to Alaska will require a lot of SuperChargers.
"How many?" the man asked...

It is 1,711 miles from Seattle to Juneau (closest large City in Alaska). Number of Superchargers probably required for first trek (@ 140 mile spacing): 13 (rounded up)
It is 733 miles from Juneau to Fairbanks. Number of Superchargers probably required for second trek (@ 140 mile spacing): 6 (rounded up)

Admittedly, I know nothing about the local power grid or electrical power sources along the trek, or how the SpC would be located.
Due to terrain, some portions of the "trek" may require SpC locations to be even closer than 140 mile, and then the subsequent number required further increases.

Even as much as I would like to "drive to Alaska" (and back) in my MS, I sense that TM's primary deployment of SpC will remain in the lower 48 and Southern areas of Canada, at least for the foreseeable future.

One more set of Fun Facts:
Population of Norway: 5,096,300 (2013 census)
Population of Alaska: 731,449 (2012 estimate)
Population of California: 38,041,430 (2012 estimate)
Population of Texas: 26,059,203 (2012 estimate)
Not sniveling, just sayin'

It is 1,711 miles from Seattle to Juneau (closest large City in Alaska). Number of Superchargers probably required for first trek (@ 140 mile spacing): 13 (rounded up)
It is 733 miles from Juneau to Fairbanks. Number of Superchargers probably required for second trek (@ 140 mile spacing): 6 (rounded up)
If one is going to go by way of Juneau rather than the Alaska Highway, then one can put the car on a ferry and take the "Marine Highway". Problem solved. ;-)

Totally agree that this Alaska talk is dreaming. What's cool, though, is that we can actually have this conversation, that Superchargers can make long-distance travel easy on any route where Tesla chooses to install them.

At present, there are enormous stretches of the Lesser-48<-->AK route that are off grid. I haven't yet determined WHERE I will be posting/blogging this, but our plan is to be the first to drive a Tesla to Alaska - this should be in the latter half of May. We have to wait that long, as the RV parks we will be depending on for charging (NOT, of course, Supercharging) are shuttered during the tourist-less dead months.

At present, we can get as far as Edmonton AB effectively for free, via the US Superchargers and Canada's Sun Country Highway network of chargers, which max at 70 amps (I think). Northern BC and Yukon are effectively as remote as much of Alaska - it's a long trip, but one I've driven dozens of times over the decades. In every month other than June, July and August.

Tugging this thread in a little different direction, what about where you live? Does TMInc know more about the 200-400,000 square miles around you than you do? Have you ideas of the most logical emplacement of SpCs? For example, Cottonwood​, out of Pagosa Springs, CO, has discussed at length his ideas of what the Four Corners region should look like.

Last edited:
Tugging this thread in a little different direction, what about where you live? Does TMInc know more about the 200-400,000 square miles around you than you do? Have you ideas of the most logical emplacement of SpCs? For example, Cottonwood​, out of Pagosa Springs, CO, has discussed at length his ideas of what the Four Corners region should look like.

I think this is the most worthwhile input we can give TMInc. The way I look at it, we should determine the pairs of locations that people most want to travel between. I'm sure they did some of this already but SC placement on the 2015 map shows that they may need to revisit. For example, I20, Atlanta to Dallas, is missing at least 3 SCs even in the out years. Given that both cities are Tesla hotspots, why didn't they think to enable that. There's also a missing SC location on the I84 route between Portland/Seattle and Salt Lake City. I know of multiple people that drive that route.

Taking it a little farther afield, I hope that people around the country are doing what Plug-In North Central Washington is doing. They are raising private money to put in high amp L2 EVSEs (70Amp Clipper Creeks) as well as advocating business and cities to install EVSEs. They currently have completed enough to make the North Cascades Loop EV friendly, making EV tourism possible in this area. Time will tell how successful this will be but early indicators are that it is bringing business to the area. Given that EV owners are relatively more affluent that the population average, it is a positive thing for the region.

I live near the TM corp HQ. I frequently visit Mendocino. I wasn't seeing any SpC en-route so I asked. Now there is one planned for 101 north of SF! Ask and it shall be given sometimes works... Don't know if it was because of me, but it makes me feel like I was heard. Thanks TM!

I think this is the most worthwhile input we can give TMInc. The way I look at it, we should determine the pairs of locations that people most want to travel between. I'm sure they did some of this already but SC placement on the 2015 map shows that they may need to revisit. For example, I20, Atlanta to Dallas, is missing at least 3 SCs even in the out years. Given that both cities are Tesla hotspots, why didn't they think to enable that. There's also a missing SC location on the I84 route between Portland/Seattle and Salt Lake City. I know of multiple people that drive that route.

Have you asked them about it? I asked about one in the Ontario/San Bernardino area of SoCal as it's really needed for S60s driving from LA and San Diego to Las Vegas, and they wrote back that they're currently looking for a site there, even though it's not on the map (anymore).

Kingman AZ. I just got a verbal that the pedestal posts are up. The white Tesla covers are not installed yet. Work is underway. That's all they can see from their vantage point. I have asked, again for pictures, but it may be a while before I get any photos to post. I will post photos as soon as they arrive.