Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living in the "tech-challenged" deep south I had yet to experience a Supercharger in one year of ownership. That changed this week when I made my way to the Texas Supercharger "Island".

Very pleased to see 120 kW charging of my one year old Model S. Spoiled now and understand that getting the Supercharger network completed nationwide is a key piece to the acceptance puzzle...

Mike
IMG_20140702_120255.jpg

Nice update to the SC display at Hawthorne. I am not surprised to see the additional data it displays about stalls in use, average charging time, etc. I think it has always been clear that Tesla knew that information, and it seems highly likely that some of that info will be shared with S owners via the center display in a future update, hopefully V6.0 this year.

Nice update to the SC display at Hawthorne. I am not surprised to see the additional data it displays about stalls in use, average charging time, etc. I think it has always been clear that Tesla knew that information, and it seems highly likely that some of that info will be shared with S owners via the center display in a future update, hopefully V6.0 this year.

Seeing the Hawthorne display upgrade does put pressure on TM to make firmware upgrades to allow 'stalls in use' display on the center console. Hopefully it will be in 6.0, but I would not be surprised if it was in the 7.x or 8.x series.

I'm still trying to understand how knowing how many stalls are in use is useful. If you are on a trip and need to stop at a SC, how does that info help you?
Agree. Even if I knew before getting there that all the stalls were in use, I would still stop at the SC because (1) it's likely one of the cars would be finished before I get there or within a few minutes of arrival and (2) I need the charge. A more likely scenario at some locations would be a spot is ICED'd, and that would show up as a vacant stall. Either way I think this is a solution looking for a problem. If all stalls are in use, one will be done shortly!

I'm still trying to understand how knowing how many stalls are in use is useful. If you are on a trip and need to stop at a SC, how does that info help you?

Look ahead just a few years when the density of Supercharger locations is going to be much greater than it is now. Some regions may have them every 100 miles or less. You will not need to stop at every SC along your planned route, you will have choices.

For example, starting from the LA area you may decide to skip Oxnard if it's busy and stop at Buelton, or vice versa. No need to exit the highway and see how many stalls are in use, the car will tell you in advance.

Either way I think this is a solution looking for a problem.

Exactly. It's useless information. If it shows 4 of 6 stalls are being used, two could be ICEd and there could be 3 Teslas waiting for the 4 non-iced stalls or the to ICEs to leave. Also, you don't know how many other Tesla owners are about to arrive at a SC location, so even though there could be one or two stalls free, three or four cars could show up. You really don't know what the *actual* situation is until you arrive.

All that infoboard tells you is how many are charging now. Nothing about ICEd spots, cars waiting, inoperative stalls, etc.

Exactly. It's useless information. If it shows 4 of 6 stalls are being used, two could be ICEd and there could be 3 Teslas waiting for the 4 non-iced stalls or the to ICEs to leave. Also, you don't know how many other Tesla owners are about to arrive at a SC location, so even though there could be one or two stalls free, three or four cars could show up. You really don't know what the *actual* situation is until you arrive.

All that infoboard tells you is how many are charging now. Nothing about ICEd spots, cars waiting, inoperative stalls, etc.
I think that's overstating it a bit.

(Positive data)
Knowing which locations are "saturated" (or near it) is very useful information.

(Negative data)
Seeing locations "not saturated" is less useful information but still useful. Yes, they might be iced. They might be powered down. They might be demonstrated the grid version of fireworks. Hopefully they have additional telemetry and human information supply channels filling in more of these details.

The pedestals could be modified to be able to detect the presence of a vehicle. Vehicle not plugged in = ICEd. We've also discussed a reservation system incorporated or working with the nav. That would give the system knowledge of how many cars en route, ETA, etc.

I would love to go build this system. If anyone at Tesla is reading this, hire me :)

Agree. Even if I knew before getting there that all the stalls were in use, I would still stop at the SC because (1) it's likely one of the cars would be finished before I get there or within a few minutes of arrival and (2) I need the charge. A more likely scenario at some locations would be a spot is ICED'd, and that would show up as a vacant stall. Either way I think this is a solution looking for a problem. If all stalls are in use, one will be done shortly!

I don't agree that it will cause more problems than not having the information. If you need the charge you are going to stop, full, half full, other drivers on the way or ICED. If you would like to 'top off' to continue your trip and the SCs are all full you will likely drive to the next SC/home etc. If you get to the next SC and need the charge then go back to the original scenario.

If there are three Superchargers, there should be 6 stalls.
The first three will have a higher priority than the second three. However, if a car with single digit miles remaining plugs into the second three, they will prioritize that car for a little while. The controller boards are set up as a Master and Slave system, each controlling one stall.

The numeration goes like "Supercharger / Node"
If you see a 3A, it means it's the Master on the third Supercharger. All "B" nodes are Slaves and get a lower priority when charging unless the aforementioned mileage scenario is present.

So, if there is an "A" stall available, plug into that one first. If there are only "B" nodes available, plug into the one's which Master node has been occupied the longest. You can usually tell by the fan noise coming from the front of the car or the back of the Supercharger (if you can discern the noise).

A plethora of Supercharger information was given to me recently, but I promised to not digitally share that information. ;)
There are some "Easter Eggs" that Fremont puts in them that are pretty hilarious.

After a 500 mile road trip, Eugene OR to Sonoma CA, the SCs were better than I expected. My previous experience was with just one SC and I needed over an hour to get close to a full charge. I have 90 kWh limited charge rate since I'm an early VIN.

Here though the SCs were about 110 miles apart. I charged to 170 for each leg as buffer. Each of the four stops were about 20 minutes. It worked out really well. We'd stop, plug in, hit the local coffee shop or grocery store to get a drink and use the rest room, and the car was pretty much at the range we needed by the time we got back. 11 hour trip and we were slow at lunch and at the Vacaville SC which had a bunch of stores. We could have easily made it in 10 hours. I cranked at 75-80mph most of the way.

I really thought an SC road trip would feel slow and something of a compromise compared to gas, but it wasn't at all. Now, last year without the SCs, it was slow. I toddled at 60mph drafting big rigs and spent 8-9 hours at charge locations. It worked as a relaxed 2 day trip, but that was definitely a compromise solution and not the 1 day trip I prefer.