Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a thought to chew on, maybe when the Gigafactory is online, the mobile Superchargers can be mass produced and installed on less popular routes? The busier routes would of course get multiple supercharger stalls (6-10 stalls), but maybe 2 stalls for locations that are not used frequently, but still enabling the route to be traveled in time for Gen 3. Just a thought.

There are portable supercharger installations at Bethesda, Maryland and Lone Tree, Colorado. I think they also used one to expand Hawthorne, California. The Bethesda installation was theoretically temporary, although they didn't remove it after a permanent supercharger came on line 35 miles away.

The supercharger in Aurora, IL is a portable one as well.

tesla in aurora.jpg

Last edited:
Just a thought to chew on, maybe when the Gigafactory is online, the mobile Superchargers can be mass produced and installed on less popular routes? The busier routes would of course get multiple supercharger stalls (6-10 stalls), but maybe 2 stalls for locations that are not used frequently, but still enabling the route to be traveled in time for Gen 3. Just a thought.

What am I missing? What does the Gigafactory (battery cells) have to do with superchargers?

The new dashboard in Hawthorne is neat! Certainly if they can incorporate some of this data into V 6 of the software would alleviate some of the anxiety that some folks have experienced at selected locations.

I noticed that there is a "last 24 hours--27 cars charged" graphic for Barstow. This is too long a time period to be able to judge stall turnover. I assume that between 11PM and 9AM charging activity had been virtually non-existent. Better information would be number of cars charged in the last 2,4,6,8 hours (or some equivalent) along with their average charge time. This could alert the driver to possible delays. Better yet would be to have this available on the Tesla app so that when we plan our journeys, we might have a better understanding as to the higher-usage times.

If we know that Supercharger Location X tends to be very busy Fridays from 2PM - 9PM; Saturdays from noon to 10PM; Sundays from 10AM - 10PM, we could try to time our arrivals during the non-peak times. This may not be always possible, but it allows people with more flexibility in their schedules to plan accordingly.

I think the idea of webcam would really work better than any analysis of cars charging, stalls occupied, ICEd spots, etc. And it doesnt' even have to be a video feed. A constantly updating image once per minute of the wide view of the stalls and nearby areas tells us everything we need to know: ICEd spots, stalls used, any cars waiting to charge, etc. This could even be posted on the TM website for each SC page (maybe requiring logged in access). Since TM already has some sort of network access to each SC location, just have a security camera upload a photo once per minute. No complicated car-sensing hardware at each stall, no guesswork as to how many cars may be waiting, no sophisticated "ticket/waiting" system needed. Done and done.

Just wondering if Tesla opening up their patents for use by anyone also involves the Supercharger patents and plug? If so, you may be seeing third parties making Tesla compatible charging stations (charging a fee, of course). This will especially be true if other automakers adopt Tesla's plug and charging technology. Supercharger stations may spread far quicker than anyone expected.

More dashboard pics from today, Hawthorne was busy as expected but Shanghai showed up at #10.

Twice this week I have witnessed owners being dropped off to pick up their car that was occupying a stall, I would hate to think these cars were there long after charging had completed, I & several others had to wait today so I wonder how long these cars were just sitting there.

IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG

How about just putting a webcam on a pole at each site, accessible through your Tesla account?

Boom! All your requested info made available, plus a little added site security for Tesla.

True but wouldn't it be helpful to also know how long each car has been their, their current SOC and if anyone was waiting? (assuming 6x allowed you to register as waiting). That would sure help determine which cars would be leaving soon and how many people were waiting. In this case a picture isn't worth a thousand words.

Just wondering if Tesla opening up their patents for use by anyone also involves the Supercharger patents and plug? If so, you may be seeing third parties making Tesla compatible charging stations (charging a fee, of course). This will especially be true if other automakers adopt Tesla's plug and charging technology. Supercharger stations may spread far quicker than anyone expected.

I believe, Elon, TM and all of us would be very happy if the Tesla SCs became the 'VHS' version of charging stations.

The Supercharger patents are indeed available for use, but with some conditions.

Tesla has said they will only allow Supercharger use on vehicles with at least 200 miles of range that are capable of accepting the full power of the Supercharger (they can't, for example, be neutered for cars with lower power limits). Also, the charging must be remain free to the end-user. The user of the patent is also expected to contribute to Supercharger network expansion in a manner proportional to their expected use of it.

I believe the no-cost-per-charge thing will give many potential partners pause, especially if they represent for-profit charge networks. However, these conditions are a good thing because, while they may slow down non-Tesla Supercharger deployment, they will also prevent the existing network from becoming clogged with slow-charging, low-range vehicles.

The Supercharger patents are indeed available for use, but with some conditions.

Tesla has said they will only allow Supercharger use on vehicles with at least 200 miles of range that are capable of accepting the full power of the Supercharger (they can't, for example, be neutered for cars with lower power limits). Also, the charging must be remain free to the end-user. The user of the patent is also expected to contribute to Supercharger network expansion in a manner proportional to their expected use of it.

I believe the no-cost-per-charge thing will give many potential partners pause, especially if they represent for-profit charge networks. However, these conditions are a good thing because, while they may slow down non-Tesla Supercharger deployment, they will also prevent the existing network from becoming clogged with slow-charging, low-range vehicles.

I didn't know about the condition of not charging the customer, but I was making the assumption that it would be for cars capable of taking a full-power charge whether they were made by Telsa or by some other automaker.

Thanks for the info and the clarification.

I didn't know about the condition of not charging the customer, but I was making the assumption that it would be for cars adopting Tesla's full-power charge system whether they were made by Telsa or by some other automaker. Thanks for the info and the clarification.

No problem.

Tesla (and Elon, in particular) are dead-set against end-point usage fees. Probably why the battery-swap thing has yet to materialize...

No problem.

Tesla (and Elon, in particular) are dead-set against end-point usage fees. Probably why the battery-swap thing has yet to materialize...

I'm wondering if Elon's statement about not charging customers applies only to Tesla cars. In other words, would a Tesla driver get free power from the third party supercharger, while a car made by GM or Ford that has adopted Tesla's charging system be charged? Tesla is footing the power bill for their cars right now at Tesla superchargers, but they can't be expected to do so for other manufacturers cars whether they are charging at a Tesla supercharger or a third party supercharger.

I'm wondering if Elon's statement about not charging customers applies only to Tesla cars. In other words, would a Tesla driver get free power from the third party supercharger, while a car made by GM or Ford that has adopted Tesla's charging system be charged? Tesla is footing the power bill for their cars right now at Tesla superchargers, but they can't be expected to do so for other manufacturers cars whether they are charging at a Tesla supercharger or a third party supercharger.

No, he was very clear that no point of use charge would be for anyone using the supercharger patents.

Second paragraph... Tesla reveals plan to share Supercharger network with other electric car makers | ExtremeTech

No problem.

Lack of superfluous battery packs are likely the reason swap has not materialized, not the payment structure. End usage fees have always been a part of swap.

Just like solar power and battery backup have always been the long term goals of TM.