Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, Idaho and Montana currently suck for juice right now. Otherwise I would have headed more east over July 4th instead of stopping.

We could get surprises along the I-90 corridor since TMC has low scouting density there. Coeur d'Alene has a Coming Soon page, Sheridan WY has a site selected (but we don't know where) and Gillette WY probably isn't far behind. That will leave a handful through Montana to connect the ends.

The screen on Tuesday, July 8, 2014. Saw Franz walk right past me as I was taking this shot.

s06ZemE.jpg

We could get surprises along the I-90 corridor since TMC has low scouting density there. Coeur d'Alene has a Coming Soon page, Sheridan WY has a site selected (but we don't know where) and Gillette WY probably isn't far behind. That will leave a handful through Montana to connect the ends.

Don't forget Bozeman along I-90...

- - - Updated - - -

The screen on Tuesday, July 8, 2014. Saw Franz walk right past me as I was taking this shot.

Notice the North American Total of 102; probably because the 3 Connecticut doublets are counted as 2 each instead of 1 each.

I see 30 locations on the coming soon map Supercharger | Tesla Motors and only 19 of those mapped on Superchargers

So there should be 11 more in construction and or permitting that we don't have marked.

1 in Montana
4 in Canada (+ 2 marked as coming)
2 in Florida (+ 1 marked as permitting that isn't on the coming soon page)
1 in Georgia (+ 1 marked as coming)
-1 in Tennessee (Chattanooga isn't on coming soon page but is expected to go live in August)

I don't even want to try and count all the ones in the southwest (Utah, Arizona, California) or figure out the states for the east coast corridor (South Carolina to Maine)

it sounds like the Tesla Science Center at Wardenclyffe is going to be getting a supercharger (as well as a 1 million dollar donation for Elon)

A little off the typical travel path, Wardenclyffe - Google Maps, and not exactly a place to hang out for now. From Tesla Science Center at Wardenclyffe The History of Wardenclyffe:

At present, Wardenclyffe and the property it sits on is an active industrial cleanup and reconstruction site, one which poses potentially hazardous conditions. For safety reasons and to protect its historical integrity, TSC will keep the site closed for the foreseeable future, except for scheduled work and for occasional events. However, visitors can see the Tesla statue from New York 25A, behind which one can see the large octagonal foundation of Tesla’s former transmission tower and the brick laboratory building designed by Stanford White.

A little off the typical travel path, Wardenclyffe - Google Maps, and not exactly a place to hang out for now. From Tesla Science Center at Wardenclyffe The History of Wardenclyffe:
At present, Wardenclyffe and the property it sits on is an active industrial cleanup and reconstruction site, one which poses potentially hazardous conditions. For safety reasons and to protect its historical integrity, TSC will keep the site closed for the foreseeable future, except for scheduled work and for occasional events. However, visitors can see the Tesla statue from New York 25A, behind which one can see the large octagonal foundation of Tesla’s former transmission tower and the brick laboratory building designed by Stanford White.

Yeah, it'd be more of a destination charger. They could do a single charger with 2 stalls just for the historical/name factor.

Last edited:
Yeah, it'd be more of a destination charger. They could do a single charger with 2 stalls just for the historical/name factor.

That is what I assume will happen. It would not cost a ton of money to do, will provide a few visitors to the museum who will want to go through it while their car charges, and puts a little bit of extra coverage on the supercharger map. The 2 stall pallet superchargers have a ton of potential, and I would not be surprised if in the future, they become somewhat common for destination charging.

I see 30 locations on the coming soon map Supercharger | Tesla Motors and only 19 of those mapped on Superchargers

So there should be 11 more in construction and or permitting that we don't have marked.

Tesla often lists stations as "Coming Soon" before permitting begins or even before they have a site selected.

1 in Montana

This one is actually Coeur d'Alene Idaho. Nobody has found the site yet, nor is there evidence that permitting is in process.

4 in Canada (+ 2 marked as coming)

Barrie, Toronto, Kingston, and Cornwall in Ontario. The Toronto one looks like it will be at a Tesla service center; Kingston looks like it will be in a shopping center undergoing major construction; Tesla says (take with major grain of salt) that construction for all but Barrie will begin in late July. The other two in Canada are Squamish BC and Drummondville QC.

2 in Florida (+ 1 marked as permitting that isn't on the coming soon page)

The ones on the map are Tampa (should soon be in permitting phase) and Gainesville (no information yet). A supercharger in Defuniak Springs (shown at supercharge.info) has received a planning approval even though there is no site yet. The supercharger in Lake City FL has been approved by the zoning board but the site is not known.

1 in Georgia (+ 1 marked as coming)

This is the parking garage at Atlantic Station, which has recently begun permitting. I don't know why this isn't shown on supercharge.info

I don't even want to try and count all the ones in the southwest (Utah, Arizona, California) or figure out the states for the east coast corridor (South Carolina to Maine)

Check out the Supercharger Progress wiki. It compiles everything people have found on upcoming superchargers.

Sounds like wishful thinking, Dirk. Assuming we were just doing a crappy job of of finding new permits and construction, there should still be SCs coming on line at the same rate but that clearly isn't happening. No, I'd say we are in the winter of our disconect... (apologies to willy s).

I hate to be the optimist, but the SCs never came on-line at a consistent rate. Last year 37 super chargers went live in December and January. I believe there will be another deluge of SC's in the US late fall / early winter (after more resources return from the current European SC ramp up).

Take a look at Cottonwood's post from February 2014:
Tesla Supercharger network - Page 388

The supercharger blog post today says:
"By the end of next year, 98 percent of the U.S. population will be within 100 miles of a Supercharger."
This is meaningless-- the supercharger may be less than 100 miles away but in the opposite direction you are going.

The supercharger blog post today says:
"By the end of next year, 98 percent of the U.S. population will be within 100 miles of a Supercharger."
This is meaningless-- the supercharger may be less than 100 miles away but in the opposite direction you are going.

I'd say it's more ambiguous or misleading than meaningless. It can be helpful to go 20 miles out of your way and then backtrack 20 miles vs using a L2 charger but at some distance it is useless. How far and in what direction do matter a lot.

I hate to be the optimist, but the SCs never came on-line at a consistent rate. Last year 37 super chargers went live in December and January. I believe there will be another deluge of SC's in the US late fall / early winter (after more resources return from the current European SC ramp up).

Take a look at Cottonwood's post from February 2014:
Tesla Supercharger network - Page 388

Man, I hope you are right. You would have to go back a year to find a 27 day period that had two or fewer SCs opening up. Clearly there is a lull, let's hope it doesn't become a slump or worse.