Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Before I start a new thread)

Any threads out there on the I-10 corridor east from Texas to Florida? (Or I guess west from Florida to Texas?)

As I sit in Destin (Santa Rosa Beach) I wonder if next year I can bring BadA** instead of the rent-a-SUV.

(Why am I on a computer while at the beach? You wake the teenagers up.)

Anyhow, if there is one, point me there. If there is not one, perhaps one could be created.

WJ

Love the Condos on Santa Rosa Beach (visit in Nov). Anyway Defuniak Springs is the only one scheduled right now. Unfortunately, it's straight North, and if going east or west from Santa Rosa Beach it would be a waste of time. Assuming you will start with a full charge - going to Defuniak will get you no closer to your destination.

My version of the East Coast charging system.....

East Coast Prediction.JPG

So why would you leave out:

1. Erie, PA/Dunkirk, NY/Jamestown, NY

2. Hornell, NY/Corning, NY

3. Binghamton, NY

A unique and very useful travel corridor that more and more drivers are adopting, especially for OH>New England. Tesla can free us of the old clogged routings!
--

No reason in particular just placed SpC so that they all connected pretty well and along major highways. If I missed one I am sorry by the time I got to New England I was a bit tired. Just like TM LOL :D

No reason in particular just placed SpC so that they all connected pretty well and along major highways. If I missed one I am sorry by the time I got to New England I was a bit tired. Just like TM LOL :D

Cross country trekkers to TMC-Connect from Boston and northern New England could have used this route instead of going thru Newark, DE and the I-95 corridor. I-86 is a major highway that is uncrowded, easy on the hills, and for many a mileage saver. Trouble is that the further you get from Palo Alto the less understanding there is about regional routing. The maps are blurs to their eyes without any reality experience. Thus their default is simply to follow existing traffic flow statistics and population densities. New thinking is needed here.

New cross country routes further south could be based on ease of driving, reduced population routes, etc rather than strictly following I-70 and I-40. Burying SuperChargers in KC or StL, for example, should be avoided, but this seems almost inevitable the way things are going at TM.
--

... Trouble is that the further you get from Palo Alto the less understanding there is about regional routing. The maps are blurs to their eyes without any reality experience. Thus their default is simply to follow existing traffic flow statistics and population densities. New thinking is needed here.

New cross country routes further south could be based on ease of driving, reduced population routes, etc rather than strictly following I-70 and I-40. Burying SuperChargers in KC or StL, for example, should be avoided, but this seems almost inevitable the way things are going at TM.
--

You have no idea if that assumption of yours is accurate or not.
I would say it is not, as I know they have regional scouts and managers for SC sites.

Have you sent your suggestions in to them?

You have no idea if that assumption of yours is accurate or not.
I would say it is not, as I know they have regional scouts and managers for SC sites.
Have you sent your suggestions in to them?

It is an assumption.

The 'coming soon' maps are blurs to my eyes and the I-86 corridor has always been omitted. Make the bold move and give us [Erie.PA/Dunkirk.NY] which would also reach into ONT. Then complete the trifecta with [Hornell/Corning] and Binghamton. Show us that TM can think outside the box and connect regions in exciting ways. Like [Lusk>Worthington]: sure these would inevitable have been built anyway, but there was a compelling reason to jump them way up the queue, so TM did. Well, I say I-86 similarly would give Boston, VT, NH, ME, and Northeast NY owners an inspiring route into Ohio and beyond. A route that will become *major* over the decades as drivers come to appreciate its advantages. And I know this route having driven it since well before the I-88 concept became a personal gleam in the eyes of Warren Anderson (NY State legislative giant) who ushered the project to reality.

My suggestion would be that TM's SuperCharger team read this thread as well as TM's thread(s). Actually I assume they have been doing just that.

Bold initiatives for SC routes ultimately has to come from the top.
--

It is an assumption.

The 'coming soon' maps are blurs to my eyes and the I-86 corridor has always been omitted. Make the bold move and give us [Erie.PA/Dunkirk.NY] which would also reach into ONT. Then complete the trifecta with [Hornell/Corning] and Binghamton. Show us that TM can think outside the box and connect regions in exciting ways. Like [Lusk>Worthington]: sure these would inevitable have been built anyway, but there was a compelling reason to jump them way up the queue, so TM did. Well, I say I-86 similarly would give Boston, VT, NH, ME, and Northeast NY owners an inspiring route into Ohio and beyond. A route that will become *major* over the decades as drivers come to appreciate its advantages. And I know this route having driven it since well before the I-88 concept became a personal gleam in the eyes of Warren Anderson (NY State legislative giant) who ushered the project to reality.

My suggestion would be that TM's SuperCharger team read this thread as well as TM's thread(s). Actually I assume they have been doing just that.

Bold initiatives for SC routes ultimately has to come from the top.
--

How fast are those routes? How inspiring are they in poor winter weather?

I expect Tesla's primary aim is to make long distance driving possible and then their secondary aim would be to allow people to take different routes, all while keeping the network cost down. So, in Maine in 2014 Tesla is planning to allow driving on I-95 to and from the popular Downeast areas, although US-1 i the Belfast or Bucksport areas is an obvious location and would allow people to travel how they want to travel.

Winter brings 'lake effect' snows to I-90 (NY ThruWay) to the Buffalo area and to a lesser extent the Syracuse area. I-86 avoids this. I-80 across PA is warmer perhaps than I-86 but has much steeper climbs and drops. I-86 being across the Allegheny Plateau is more level throughout. I-86 high point=2100 ft, I-80=2500ft. I-80 clogged with semis too raising safety concerns during bad weather. All in all I'd prefer to take my chances on I-86 during winter vs I-90 or I-80.

North - South traffic can utilize these SCs coming from the big cities: Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse so this will provide a usage base throughout the winter months, even if East - West diminishes.

'How fast are these routes?' - Well, I-86 originally was NY17 called The Quickway, FWIW. Being rural with less traffic means you can go faster, AOTBE. Bottom line for me is arriving in Albany or Erie feeling generally relaxed as opposed to being frazzled. Try it, you'll like it.
--

Last edited:
The fact that there is no superchargers yet for trips to Napa Valley or Yosemite or Mendicino or down highway 1 tells me they are just as clueless with the regional routings in Silcon Valley.

I have an 85 and live in San Mateo, a few miles from Palo Alto. It is easy to make the roundtrip to Napa and back without charging, even for the South Bay. I have also made a trip to Yosemite, charging at Gilroy. Of course you need to then charge at your Yosemite destination. Not a big deal. I would be happy to post several places to stay near Yosemite that offer charging, if you wish.

An SC is coming somewhere on the 101 north of Santa Rosa this year, for trips to Mendicino, as is an SC in Manteca which will be helpful in getting to Yosemite.

I think you are being excessively harsh in your judgement of the SC team. They are not "clueless".

I agree, not clueless but not terribly rigorous either. It has always been the case that anything beyond "coming soon" is pretty much just winging it. Even the "coming soon" map doesn't paint the real picture. There have been SCs that were never on any published plan pop up.

I wouldn't mind more transparency in their plans.

So why would you leave out:

1. Erie, PA/Dunkirk, NY/Jamestown, NY

2. Hornell, NY/Corning, NY

3. Binghamton, NY

A unique and very useful travel corridor that more and more drivers are adopting, especially for OH>New England. Tesla can free us of the old clogged routings!
--

I have repeatedly recommended these routes, specifically the very scenic and toll-free I-86. The responses back have indicated that they are indeed looking into these sites, without revealing any specific plans or individual confirmations.

I have an 85 and live in San Mateo, a few miles from Palo Alto. It is easy to make the roundtrip to Napa and back without charging, even for the South Bay. I have also made a trip to Yosemite, charging at Gilroy. Of course you need to then charge at your Yosemite destination. Not a big deal. I would be happy to post several places to stay near Yosemite that offer charging, if you wish.

An SC is coming somewhere on the 101 north of Santa Rosa this year, for trips to Mendicino, as is an SC in Manteca which will be helpful in getting to Yosemite.

I think you are being excessively harsh in your judgement of the SC team. They are not "clueless".
I have a S60 in Menlo Park 1 mile from Palo Alto. Please explain how I would get to Yosemite and back with any superchargers?