Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I'll get blasted, but in my opinion, CA does not need more SC at this time. Tesla should be spending their time, money and resources getting the rest of the country (especially mid-America, like I10 and I40) wired with SC. Once that is done, Tesla can add more SC in CA.

Just so everyone knows, I do not live in mid-America, so my statement is not self-serving. I am on east coast. I was number 259 reservation holder for a model S and I am a stockholder. I want Tesla to sell a boatload of cars. However, I know many people that would like a Tesla but have opted for other cars because of the inability to rapidly charge the cars in a great many states.

I know I'll get blasted, but in my opinion, CA does not need more SC at this time. Tesla should be spending their time, money and resources getting the rest of the country (especially mid-America, like I10 and I40) wired with SC. Once that is done, Tesla can add more SC in CA.

Just so everyone knows, I do not live in mid-America, so my statement is not self-serving. I am on east coast. I was number 259 reservation holder for a model S and I am a stockholder. I want Tesla to sell a boatload of cars. However, I know many people that would like a Tesla but have opted for other cars because of the inability to rapidly charge the cars in a great many states.

I bet if you look at Superchargers per owner on a state by state basis, California is still not leading.

The answer is not either/or, it's both. Elon has stated that there is not a resource issue, so Tesla should just install Superchargers at a faster rate everywhere.

One big reason for many of the California installs and upgrades to stay ahead of, and fix, any queueing problems. I believe that it is very important for Tesla to install enough Supercharger capacity (sites and stalls per site) to avoid any serious queueing problems! In terms of PR, Superchargers with big queues are very bad.

I bet if you look at Superchargers per owner on a state by state basis, California is still not leading.

In fact, California superchargers are among the most heavily used / congested and it's important both in terms of fulfilling the promise to owners and for marketing to have enough superchargers to serve the owners. However, it really shouldn't be California vs the rest of the U.S. as superchargers are needed for coverage everywhere. It kind of misses the point for us to discuss what should be the priority sites when the problem is that opening 6 sites per month is far too few and Tesla needs to drastically increase the number of people working on finding sites, doing design work, permitting, etc. to build out the network in a timely manner.

If there is no resource issue, why are not more SC being constructed in the U.S.? Tesla's own map shows 200 Sc by the end of 2014. The currently are 119 SC per supercharge.info. There is basically 2 months left to 2014. There is no way Tesla will hit 200 SC by December 31, 2014. It is even questionable whether they will hit 140 SC in this time period. It seems to me that with all the trouble the car dealers are giving Tesla, that they have made a decision to concentrate on Asia and Europe, and the east coast/west coast portion of the U.S., and are giving up on the rest of the U.S. Look at how long Tesla owners in Texas have been an island unto themselves.

I understand that CA has a lot of cars. But it is the chicken and egg story. The majority of the US has no SC. Until those areas have SC, potential buyers of the car are staying away because they are unable to get to their in-laws for the holidays, or ski place in the winter or summer vacation home.

I am not sure there is no resource issue. The costs have to hit their financials in some way, even if a lot of the cost is capex. I think slow openings probably slow down supercharger installs, if nothing else than the human numbers with a limited number of experienced foremen.

I am not sure there is no resource issue. The costs have to hit their financials in some way, even if a lot of the cost is capex. I think slow openings probably slow down supercharger installs, if nothing else than the human numbers with a limited number of experienced foremen.

You may be right that they wanted to keep expenses down for 3rd quarter, which was already going to be pretty tight. I don't think experienced construction crews is a limiting factor since they installed at over twice the current rate last winter.

I understand that CA has a lot of cars. But it is the chicken and egg story. The majority of the US has no SC. Until those areas have SC, potential buyers of the car are staying away because they are unable to get to their in-laws for the holidays, or ski place in the winter or summer vacation home.

I'm sure that applies to some people, but I don't know what percentage of the potential buyers that really is. In my personal, anecdotal experience (i.e. not data), very few people travel by road... most travel by air. So we don't know what percentage of the potential buyers are really delaying or cancelling a purchase due to lack of Superchargers in their area.

Based on this, and the fact that there continues to be a queue for Tesla vehicles and every single car produced is being pre-sold without any advertising, one can make the argument that it is (for now!) more of a priority to cater to (a) areas with high Tesla density already, and (b) a few major long-distance arteries at this time, without (c) providing significant SC development in areas that have low owner/sales density. Eventually, that will change of course; but for now, it's reasonable.

I'm not claiming that the above is right and you're wrong, only that there are other perfectly reasonable points of view in this situation that lead to dramatically different conclusions.

^This. Most opinions would suggest that deliveries (income) in Q3 will be to just meet guidance which is about the same as Q2 deliveries. With that constraint on income and wishing to meet EM's guidance on a positive income (though small) in Q3, TM used ZEV credits. This all means to me that TM had some financial constraints in opening SCs as quickly as they may have liked in Q3. I expect a surge in Q4 with higher ASPs for the P85Ms and higher production/delivery numbers.

I'm sure that applies to some people, but I don't know what percentage of the potential buyers that really is. In my personal, anecdotal experience (i.e. not data), very few people travel by road... most travel by air.

That's only true because of the high gas prices over the past few years. With Tesla owners, car trips are favoured due to the low cost of fuel, the convenience of using your own car, the fun of driving a Tesla vs. the cattle car conditions of commercial airplanes, the inconvenience, expense, and safety issues of renting a car, and the anti-terrorism tactics at the airport.

I'm sure that applies to some people, but I don't know what percentage of the potential buyers that really is. In my personal, anecdotal experience (i.e. not data), very few people travel by road... most travel by air. So we don't know what percentage of the potential buyers are really delaying or cancelling a purchase due to lack of Superchargers in their area.
Many people want the ability to travel by road even if they don't do it often. Superchargers are the answer to the question from a potential buyer "How would I drive to X?", even when the person asking hasn't driven to X in years and doesn't plan to drive to X. Just knowing they can is comforting. Superchargers are useful for marketing in this way even if the location isn't heavily used.