Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More fun with charts and graphs...
And Interestate Miles per Supercharger location - gray bars represent states without a Supercharger, orange bars represent states with at least one under construction.
Cool charts! Thanks for doing that. One question about the second one... the interstate miles - I assume that is miles of paved interstate road? What would be in my mind a more interesting number here would be miles driven annually on said interstates - so basically "car miles". So Delaware doesn't have a lot of miles of interstate, but there are a ton of car miles driven on them every year because people drive THROUGH Delaware.

More fun with charts and graphs...

And Interestate Miles per Supercharger location - gray bars represent states without a Supercharger, orange bars represent states with at least one under construction.

I take it the gray and orange bars are sized as though the states in question each had one Supercharger location? I.e., they just tell us 'miles of Interstate highway' in the state?

the interstate miles - I assume that is miles of paved interstate road? What would be in my mind a more interesting number here would be miles driven annually on said interstates - so basically "car miles". So Delaware doesn't have a lot of miles of interstate, but there are a ton of car miles driven on them every year because people drive THROUGH Delaware.

I agree, but I couldn't find a good source for that data. The numbers I'm using came from here, which was the simplest and most concise data set I found for miles per state.

I agree, but I couldn't find a good source for that data. The numbers I'm using came from here, which was the simplest and most concise data set I found for miles per state.
So this will give you miles traveled per state (but not restricted to interstate): Fatality Facts
- but given that the interstates are only 1.8% of the paved roads in the US (47,432 miles of the 2.65 million miles of paved roads), this may not be good enough.

So this will give you miles traveled per state (but not restricted to interstate): Fatality Facts

Nice. Here's a version based on that data.

Vehicle Miles per Supercharger.png

sorry i don't get the second chart at all ....

The red bars represent interstate miles per Supercharger, corresponding to the scale on the left and ranging from 41 (Delaware) to 1940 (Tennessee). Grey and orange bars are the same data, just colored differently in order to highlight states that have no Superchargers installed (orange = construction).

The skinny green bars are the actual number of Superchargers for each state, corresponding to the scale on the right and ranging from 0 to 27 (California), (not counting the US Total, which exceeds the scale of the chart, thus the fading out at the top).

Does that help?

The red bars represent interstate miles per Supercharger, corresponding to the scale on the left and ranging from 41 (Delaware) to 1940 (Tennessee). Grey and orange bars are the same data, just colored differently in order to highlight states that have no Superchargers installed (orange = construction).

The skinny green bars are the actual number of Superchargers for each state, corresponding to the scale on the right and ranging from 0 to 27 (California), (not counting the US Total, which exceeds the scale of the chart, thus the fading out at the top).

Does that help?

Yes but I don't see the point. Would it not be better to show a percentage of each state's interstate that is covered. Ie. Tesla is aiming for 65-70 miles between superchagers. There are 10 Superchargers in that state so that covers 650 miles of interstate and the state has 3250 miles of Interstate so 20% of the state is covered. I just don't see a point in saying there is 1 supercharger for 90 Billion miles driven in a state. And 1 site can have 10 stalls so that further complicates things.

Edit: The info is useless without knowing how many billions of miles one charging station can handle.

Last edited:
Nice. Here's a version based on that data.
COOL.
And for orange/gray states you used a denominator of 1, correct? Dividing by '0' superchargers wouldn't really give useful data...

According to TM a charger can supply up to 340 MPH. That is 2,978,400 miles per year x 10 stalls is 29 Million miles. At those calculations we probably have enough superchargers already so no need for more. :crying:

- - - Updated - - -

Let's use CA as an example. There are 27 open Superchargers in CA. That covers 1890 miles of Interstate Highway and there are 2457 Miles in the state so it is 76.9% covered.

Yes but I don't see the point.

The point is to visualize Supercharger distribution by state. It's more fair if the data is scaled to the size or usage of roads in each state.

Let's use CA as an example. There are 27 open Superchargers in CA. That covers 1890 miles of Interstate Highway and there are 2457 Miles in the state so it is 76.9% covered.

You are free to create whatever charts you would like. :) I hope that doesn't sound snarky. I just mean to say that different people see value in different datasets. I chose to visualize the ones that make sense to me. I re-generated the chart with dirkhh's data because that's the data I originally set out to find, but settled on interstate miles per state instead when I wasn't immediately able to find a good source.

Yes but I don't see the point. ... I just don't see a point in saying there is 1 supercharger for 90 Billion miles driven in a state.

Edit: The info is useless without knowing how many billions of miles one charging station can handle.

According to TM a charger can supply up to 340 MPH. That is 2,978,400 miles per year x 10 stalls is 29 Million miles. At those calculations we probably have enough superchargers already so no need for more. :crying:

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you so determined to rip apart the graph jvonbokel put together for us? No one asked him to do it. He did it on his own, and posted it here thinking that some may find it useful. If you don't, that's fine, but you don't need to be rude about it and be so incredibly critical of it. It's just a graph. If you'd like a different graph no one is stopping you from creating it and posting it.

The point is to visualize Supercharger distribution by state. It's more fair if the data is scaled to the size or usage of roads in each state.

You are free to create whatever charts you would like. :) I hope that doesn't sound snarky. I just mean to say that different people see value in different datasets. I chose to visualize the ones that make sense to me. I re-generated the chart with dirkhh's data because that's the data I originally set out to find, but settled on interstate miles per state instead when I wasn't immediately able to find a good source.

Why are you so determined to rip apart the graph jvonbokel put together for us? No one asked him to do it. He did it on his own, and posted it here thinking that some may find it useful. If you don't, that's fine, but you don't need to be rude about it and be so incredibly critical of it. It's just a graph. If you'd like a different graph no one is stopping you from creating it and posting it.

No offense intended just confused by your charts. Numbers don't make sense to me. I do appreciate the efforts just confused is all. I will work on states completed by miles of highway and see if I can post something.

No offense intended just confused by your charts. Numbers don't make sense to me. I do appreciate the efforts just confused is all. I will work on states completed by miles of highway and see if I can post something.
I think several people read your comments of rather critical, and the numbers that you posted afterwards seem to confirm your statement "Numbers don't make sense to me". Data visualization is incredibly hard.
I for one really appreciate the effort that jvonbokel put into this...

I originally compiled this data to show the significance of Missouri's lack of Superchargers. There were (and still are) several states lacking a Supercharger, but which is a more egregious omission? I think this accomplishes that, and also shows (in at least one way) where Tesla should be focusing their efforts for the next round of Superchargers.

I did have a column in my spreadsheet for how many more Superchargers it would take to reach a level of 1 per 100mi of interstate. I think I have an idea how to present that info.

Here's what I came up with, but I'm not sure I like it yet. I used a goal of 1 SpC per 100mi of interstate, but made that a variable in the spreadsheet if anybody wants to see results for different goals. The bars are stacked, such that the sum of the two bars represents the total number needed in that state to reach "100%" coverage. The states are sorted with from lowest to highest coverage, with 10 at 0% on the left, and 5 at 100% (or more) on the right.

Superchargers Needed.png

Last edited:
Wow - Alaska's got 1,100 miles of interstates? I will say that's 1,100 more than I know of..... but no matter. Will swallow that in order to receive 11 SpCs every day of the week!

jvonbokel--do you have data on the number of sc stalls as opposed to just the number of sites? Might add another layer of accuracy to your otherwise very interesting charts. Not only do we have a ton of sites in California, but we have multiple sites with over 10 stalls...