Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What might be more valuable (assuming anyone's got enough interest and time on their hands to do such a thing) would be to subtract the secondary (3-digit) interstate mileage from each of the state totals before doing the graph, as those are urban ring, loop or spur miles as opposed to the primary (1 and 2-digit) interstates. Not perfect (as some of the secondaries are at junctions for primaries), but maybe more indicative of the coverage for road trips?

Goodness, this thread seems to be stuck in rush hour traffic.

Here, I'll try to add to the snarl: I know that I'm far from the only driver - even, or especially, on this forum - who detests driving on interstates to the point of making a concerted attempt to avoid them whenever possible, almost to the point of preferring 50% or 100% longer time spent behind the wheel. So why this fixation on interstate lengths and ratios? There are lots of fine, non-interstate choices out there....

jvonbokel--do you have data on the number of sc stalls as opposed to just the number of sites? Might add another layer of accuracy to your otherwise very interesting charts. Not only do we have a ton of sites in California, but we have multiple sites with over 10 stalls...

I do have that data for the individual stations. I'll try compiling it by state and see if it adds anything to the charts. If nothing else, it might be interesting to plot the stalls per station on a state-by-state basis.

Some of the problems relating supercharger counts per mile of road per state:
  • Roads intersect each other - placing charger near intersection can cover many more miles
  • Chargers may cover miles in neighboring states
  • Speed limits (travel speeds), weather extremes and terrain are different across the states which could affect number of chargers required
I think your 100 miles/sc assumption is a very low estimate for what one supercharge location really covers.

Given this I still appreciate the charts.

To get more accurate instead of using miles, one could use the supercharge.info map set the range to ~70miles and add custom markers to minimize the number of chargers so that all interstate roads are covered. Then count numbers in each state.

To get more accurate instead of using miles, one could use the supercharge.info map set the range to ~70miles and add custom markers to minimize the number of chargers so that all interstate roads are covered. Then count numbers in each state.

You could also use the existing 2015/2016 maps put out by Tesla to come up with a completion percentage for each state based on their stated goals.

I do have that data for the individual stations. I'll try compiling it by state and see if it adds anything to the charts. If nothing else, it might be interesting to plot the stalls per station on a state-by-state basis.

I haven't combined the two datasets yet, but here's a chart of Stalls Per Station by State. The average is 6.2 (Oregon, Arizona, and Texas all happen to be at 6.2). And for reference, I came up with 174 Stations and 1075 Stalls. Somebody correct me if that's wrong.

Supercharger Stalls Per Station.png

580, 680, 880 are all valuable travel corridors to and through the Bay Area. Why would you want to eliminate those?

I get your point, I just wanted to cite some counter examples in your own backyard.
Because none of them are long enough to _need_ SCs on them (except possibly at junctions with primary interstates). 405 in SoCal (as mentioned by another poster) would be one of the few secondaries that may be long enough that an SC is more or less essential. If you assume that an S60 can go out and return say 120 miles with a reserve, then all the Bay area secondaries can be traveled from end to end without needing an SC.

Goodness, this thread seems to be stuck in rush hour traffic.

Here, I'll try to add to the snarl: I know that I'm far from the only driver - even, or especially, on this forum - who detests driving on interstates to the point of making a concerted attempt to avoid them whenever possible, almost to the point of preferring 50% or 100% longer time spent behind the wheel. So why this fixation on interstate lengths and ratios? There are lots of fine, non-interstate choices out there....
I vote for US 395 which follows the Eastern slope of the Sierra range for the entire length of California. Spectacular drive past incredible mountains and valleys. This is our favorite drive and was the first trip we took in our new 85D from Lake Tahoe to Lone Pine (a bit of a stretch at 260 miles) and then across Death Valley.
Supposedly more Superchargers planned on this route for 2015... Lee Vining would be a perfect location... near Mono Lake and the Eastern entrance to Yosemite Park.

I vote for US 395 which follows the Eastern slope of the Sierra range for the entire length of California. Spectacular drive past incredible mountains and valleys. This is our favorite drive and was the first trip we took in our new 85D from Lake Tahoe to Lone Pine (a bit of a stretch at 260 miles) and then across Death Valley.
Supposedly more Superchargers planned on this route for 2015... Lee Vining would be a perfect location... near Mono Lake and the Eastern entrance to Yosemite Park.

I'm planning on that route home in about a week. I can make it from Desert Hot Springs to Bishop only on superchargers, charge at Bishop for a couple hours in an RV park to make it the rest of the way to Reno. After that I'll have to go over to I-5 to make it the rest of the way to WA. In another year, I may be able to make it up through central or eastern OR on superchargers to WA.

I'm planning on that route home in about a week. I can make it from Desert Hot Springs to Bishop only on superchargers, charge at Bishop for a couple hours in an RV park to make it the rest of the way to Reno. After that I'll have to go over to I-5 to make it the rest of the way to WA. In another year, I may be able to make it up through central or eastern OR on superchargers to WA.
The J Diamond RV park in Bishop is happy to have Teslas charge. They have NEMA 14-50 hookups. Central Bishop with lots of good restaurant options.

Here's what I came up with, but I'm not sure I like it yet. I used a goal of 1 SpC per 100mi of interstate, but made that a variable in the spreadsheet if anybody wants to see results for different goals. The bars are stacked, such that the sum of the two bars represents the total number needed in that state to reach "100%" coverage. The states are sorted with from lowest to highest coverage, with 10 at 0% on the left, and 5 at 100% (or more) on the right.

View attachment 74019

After I did my first chart this is what I was going to add. Great job as always !! Only thing I would add is the total US at the end or something. But LOVE it.

Edit: Oh and construction and permits

Last edited:
After I did my first chart this is what I was going to add. Great job as always !! Only thing I would add is the total US at the end or something. But LOVE it.

I had the US Total on there at first, but it skewed the scale. It comes out to a total of 318 needed to average 1 per 100mi, which is right around the three numbers Cottonwood calculated a couple pages back in this thread.

I had the US Total on there at first, but it skewed the scale. It comes out to a total of 318 needed to average 1 per 100mi, which is right around the three numbers Cottonwood calculated a couple pages back in this thread.

Another metric that I have been thinking about is total square miles of the state and SC to cover that. I typically use 65-70 miles rather than 100 only because TM has stated it is aiming for that number. I think 100 is ok though. Allows for some overlapping of roads and coverage. Each SC should cover 15,400 Sq Mi. (Pi R2).