Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'll be a cold day in Puerto Rico when the 43rd Alaskan Supercharger goes live. :)
:tongue:

Let's vote on it. House rules:
1. # votes determined by sq.mi. of each state;
and
2. Community with the largest # of Teslas per inhabitant gets as many votes as the #1 state.

No extra credit for guessing what the answer to #2 is.....:tongue:...but I'll give you a hint: it's one in which there are 1 Model S per two "downtown" households and 1 per 5 "Greater Urban Area" households:tongue::tongue:

Here's an update on the status of the latest batch of "Coming Soon" superchargers updated two months ago by Tesla. 26 stations have opened from that original Coming Soon list (plus 2 not on the list), with about 13 more coming in the next month. Thanks to ItsNotAboutTheMoney for putting this in table form.

LocationSite Known?Status
Red Deer, AByesoperational
Canmore, AByesawaiting transformer installation
Golden, BC
yesoperational
Petaluma, CA
yes
operational
Napa, CAyes construction not imminent
Manteca, CA
yesoperational
San Mateo, CAnounknown
Westminster/Orange, CAnounknown
San Diego, CAyesunder construction hiatus
Mojave, CAyesunder construction
Inyokern, CA
yesawaiting transformer
Lone Pine, CAyesoperational
Bishop, CAnounknown
Needles, CAyesoperational
Lovelock, NVyesoperational
Winnemucca, NV
yesoperational
Elko, NVyesoperational
West Wendover, NVyesoperational
Tooele, UT
yesoperational
Coeur d'Alene, IDyesoperational
Sheridan, WYnounknown
Albuquerque, NMyespermit application not yet submitted
Las Vegas, NMmaybeunknown
Santa Rosa, NMyesunder construction
Trinidad, COyesin permitting
Amarillo, TXyesin permitting
Shamrock, TX
yes
operational
Weatherford, OKyesunder construction
Perry, OKyesunder construction
Ardmore, OKyesunder construction
Denton, TXyesin permitting
Wichita, KSyesoperational
Independence, MO
yes
operational
St. Charles, MOyesunder construction
Springfield, ILyesoperational
Baton Rouge, LAyesoperational
Slidell, LAnounknown
Mobile, ALyesin permitting
Defuniak Springs, FLyesoperational
Plantation, FLyesin permitting
Marathon, FLyesin permitting
Columbia, SCnounknown
Charlotte, NC
yes
operational
Nashville, TNnounknown
Knoxville, TNnounknown
London, KY
yes
operational
Lexington, KYyesoperational
Louisville, KYnounknown
Norfolk, VAnounknown
Erie, PAnounknown
Joyce Kilmer Service Area, NJyesconstruction imminent
Molly Pitcher Service Area, NJyesconstruction not imminent
Newburgh, NYnounknown
Utica, NY
yes
operational
Syracuse, NYyesunder construction
Clarence, NYyesin permitting
West Springfield, MA
yes
operational
White River Junction / Hartford, VTnounknown
Comber, ONyesawaiting transformer
Barrie, ONyesoperational
Kingston, ON
yes
operational
Drummondville, QCyesSTILL under construction
Following are additional sites not on the Coming Soon list:
Rocklin, CA
yes
operational
Price, UTnoreported out for contractor bid
Salt Lake City, UT
yes
operational
Tremonton, UTnocontractor bid reportedly awarded
Tucumcari, NMyesin permitting
Council Bluffs, IAyesawaiting transformer
Effingham, ILyesunder construction
Dedham, MAyesin permitting
Riviera Beach, FLyesunder construction

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! I'm very excited for the Westminster/Orange, CA possibility, although anyone in OC/LA area knows they are in two different areas. When I think Orange, I think of around Chapman Univ off the 57. When I think of Westminster, I think of off the 22, close to Fountain Valley area. Selfishly, I hope they choose a location off the 57. I may never need to charge at home :biggrin:

Thanks for the update! I'm very excited for the Westminster/Orange, CA possibility, although anyone in OC/LA area knows they are in two different areas. When I think Orange, I think of around Chapman Univ off the 57. When I think of Westminster, I think of off the 22, close to Fountain Valley area. Selfishly, I hope they choose a location off the 57. I may never need to charge at home :biggrin:

Found a spot (but continue to charge at home), its between a hotel & mall off the 5,22 & 57, looks like the small lot is used to detail cars Google Maps
Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 8.58.57 AM.png

We stopped in Bishop, CA at the J Diamond RV park to charge. Nice people there. In conversation, they said that the Bishop town council had "rejected" the Tesla application for a Supercharger. Not sure where that leaves the project. I guess they will have to find another location.
I think Lee Vining, CA would be good for travel from Lake Tahoe/Reno down 395 but people traveling up 395 to Mammoth (a popular destination) from S. Ca. would appreciate charging in Bishop.

What a bonehead move by the Bishop town council. Clearly they have no idea the positive economic impact Superchargers have on local establishments like restaurants and shops. I assume there would have been at least one restaurant owner in the town who could have welcomed the extra business. Maybe the town council is planning to get rid of all of the gas stations in town too.

What a bonehead move by the Bishop town council. Clearly they have no idea the positive economic impact Superchargers have on local establishments like restaurants and shops. I assume there would have been at least one restaurant owner in the town who could have welcomed the extra business. Maybe the town council is planning to get rid of all of the gas stations in town too.
I don't know the why it may have been turned down, but if not Bishop, Big Pine awaits. It's better for the White mountains and acceptable for Mammoth/Lee Vining, if not so good for U.S. 6. OTOH, People coming south from Lee Vining and heading up into the Sierra west from Bishop may find it hard to make the round trip from Lee Vining in strong winds, so at the very least an HPWC would be desirable in Bishop.

I don't know the why it may have been turned down, but if not Bishop, Big Pine awaits. It's better for the White mountains and acceptable for Mammoth/Lee Vining, if not so good for U.S. 6. OTOH, People coming south from Lee Vining and heading up into the Sierra west from Bishop may find it hard to make the round trip from Lee Vining in strong winds, so at the very least an HPWC would be desirable in Bishop.
Bishop and Big Pine are too close to Lone Pine (50 miles). Mammoth airport would be better. Good access to 395 and won't get ICED.
Much better would be Lee Vining with access to Yosemite and North.

I would not take the rumor that Bishop is necessarily out of the running for a Supercharger as fact. I have reason to believe that the process is taking a little longer than initially expected. While I cannot guarantee 100% that a Supercharger is coming to Bishop, I would say that the chances are much more likely than not.

I would not take the rumor that Bishop is necessarily out of the running for a Supercharger as fact. I have reason to believe that the process is taking a little longer than initially expected. While I cannot guarantee 100% that a Supercharger is coming to Bishop, I would say that the chances are much more likely than not.
I agree, and suspect any refusal of a permit was due to technical issues, not ideological resistance. Bishop lives and dies on out of towners pursuing outdoor recreation in the area, so there's absolutely no reason for the city to be against this.

- - - Updated - - -

Bishop and Big Pine are too close to Lone Pine (50 miles). Mammoth airport would be better. Good access to 395 and won't get ICED.
Much better would be Lee Vining with access to Yosemite and North.
While Mammoth (not the airport, there's nothing there) certainly deserves an SC eventually, it's primarily a destination and can get by with HPWCs, J1772s and/or 14-50s for now, as long as you have SCs in Lee Vining and Bishop or Big Pine that you can do the round trip from. Lacking Bishop or Big Pine, you can't do a round trip from Lee Vining to any point south of Big Pine and up off 395 in a 60, except under ideal conditions.

I agree, and suspect any refusal of a permit was due to technical issues, not ideological resistance. Bishop lives and dies on out of towners pursuing outdoor recreation in the area, so there's absolutely no reason for the city to be against this.

- - - Updated - - -

While Mammoth (not the airport, there's nothing there) certainly deserves an SC eventually, it's primarily a destination and can get by with HPWCs, J1772s and/or 14-50s for now, as long as you have SCs in Lee Vining and Bishop or Big Pine that you can do the round trip from. Lacking Bishop or Big Pine, you can't do a round trip from Lee Vining to any point south of Big Pine and up off 395 in a 60, except under ideal conditions.
I don't know why Bishop rejected the application but I don't think a SC in Bishop would be very useful. It's only 60 miles from the SC in Lone Pine.
Mammoth airport would be good for a SC because it is not a destination... just easy access to 395 for those traveling to Mammoth and beyond. It would prevent people from parking there for the weekend. The town of Mammoth itself could use lots of Level 2 chargers for overnight guests.
Lee Vining to Lone Pine is 122 miles and Lee Vining to Reno is 138 miles which makes it halfway between Lone Pine and Reno/Lake Tahoe and Lee Vining is the Eastern gateway to Yosemite which is why I think it's the ideal location on this route. You should be able to do it even in a 60.

I don't know why Bishop rejected the application but I don't think a SC in Bishop would be very useful. It's only 60 miles from the SC in Lone Pine.
Mammoth airport would be good for a SC because it is not a destination... just easy access to 395 for those traveling to Mammoth and beyond. It would prevent people from parking there for the weekend. The town of Mammoth itself could use lots of Level 2 chargers for overnight guests. Lee Vining to Lone Pine is 122 miles and Lee Vining to Reno is 138 miles which makes it halfway between Lone Pine and Reno/Lake Tahoe and Lee Vining is the Eastern gateway to Yosemite which is why I think it's the ideal location on this route. You should be able to do it even in a 60.
Yes, Bishop is 64 miles from Lee Vining and 61 from Lone Pine, and you don't need an SC to make it one-way between LV and LP, but it's needed for all the people who get off 395 between those two points (traveling beyond Bishop/BP in either direction) and head up to Sierra trailheads involving several thousand feet of extra climb, where there's generally no power, and need to be able to charge enroute to make the round-trip. This may be less of an issue with the Model S demographic if they are more likely to stay in lodgings with power, but a Bishop/Big Pine SC will be critical if the Model X demographic is more outdoorsy (as I expect), and even more so for the Model 3 demo. Coming out from a trailhead after a couple of days or a week, you want to be on your way home, not have to sit around for a couple of hours charging L2 just so you can get to the next SC and sit _there_ for another 30 minutes or so. Bishop is also the junction with U.S. 6 to Nevada and is 116 miles from Tonopah, although I doubt that generates a lot of traffic compared to 395.