Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is driving me a little batty that this thread about the Superchargers network is now 10 years old and over 450 pages, but I still have to figure out what terrible option to use when trying to cross the 250+ mile gap from Boise to Winnemucca to go toward Reno or the S.F. bay area. One freaking Supercharger site would cover that.

This is driving me a little batty that this thread about the Superchargers network is now 10 years old and over 450 pages, but I still have to figure out what terrible option to use when trying to cross the 250+ mile gap from Boise to Winnemucca to go toward Reno or the S.F. bay area. One freaking Supercharger site would cover that.
Sounds like if you can, a CCS adapter would help you... According to ABRP, if you had CCS, you could take US-95 towards Winnemucca, and charge at Quinn River Station for 27 minutes. If you did that, it would shave 2 hours off your trip versus trying to hit the Elko Supercharger by driving 55mph.

Sounds like if you can, a CCS adapter would help you... According to ABRP, if you had CCS, you could take US-95 towards Winnemucca, and charge at Quinn River Station for 27 minutes. If you did that, it would shave 2 hours off your trip versus trying to hit the Elko Supercharger by driving 55mph.
The Quinn River Market one...which is listed as down for maintenance right now. I am aware of that option; it's what I used in September. I have a CHAdeMO adapter already, which is what I currently do, but taking 6 or 7 attempts to get that charger working last time does not instill confidence in its reliability.

Not to mention that my old 2014 car does not have the necessary hardware to use that grey market imported from Korea CCS adapter.

The larger point being that I already have my bad but necessary workaround. I don't need suggestions for me. What about the other hundreds of Tesla owners who need to use this route, since it is THE path everyone uses between the Bay Area and Boise? Spending hundreds of dollars trying to navigate grey market drop shippers to get a product that isn't sold here and that only works for some very new cars is not a reasonable recommendation. Tesla needs to get on the ball and stop ignoring this important route.

My main concern was that this L2 charger was like $5/hr, and I wasn't sure if it would stop billing me $5/hr once it reaches the cutoff, or if it would just charge me $5/hr until I disconnect in the morning.
Yep. fee-based overnight charging can definitely be risky. Gotta know the fine print: Idle fees? per hour rates? increased rates after some time Slimit or at some time? etc.
Superchargers are the same but one expects to have to babysit your car at a Supercharger.

The Quinn River Market one...which is listed as down for maintenance right now. I am aware of that option; it's what I used in September. I have a CHAdeMO adapter already, which is what I currently do, but taking 6 or 7 attempts to get that charger working last time does not instill confidence in its reliability.

Not to mention that my old 2014 car does not have the necessary hardware to use that grey market imported from Korea CCS adapter.

The larger point being that I already have my bad but necessary workaround. I don't need suggestions for me. What about the other hundreds of Tesla owners who need to use this route, since it is THE path everyone uses between the Bay Area and Boise? Spending hundreds of dollars trying to navigate grey market drop shippers to get a product that isn't sold here and that only works for some very new cars is not a reasonable recommendation. Tesla needs to get on the ball and stop ignoring this important route.
Well it says they are building a supercharger in Mountain Home, ID. If folks can charge there, they will have much easier time getting to Elko.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Well it says they are building a supercharger in Mountain Home, ID. If folks can charge there, they will have much easier time getting to Elko.
That is going the wrong way and adding hours to the drive to go to Reno or San Francisco. If we're talking about going out of the way and adding hours to it, it's probably more direct to go over to Burns, OR and then down to Alturas, CA. None of these are good choices.

That is going the wrong way and adding hours to the drive to go to Reno or San Francisco. If we're talking about going out of the way and adding hours to it, it's probably more direct to go over to Burns, OR and then down to Alturas, CA. None of these are good choices.
I get that, it adds an extra 90 minutes or 100 miles to go thru Mountain Home... But the thing is, you're asking Tesla to build a SC along a 2 lane road going thru SE Oregon, which is the most rural part of the entire state. I don't see that ever happening, unfortunately.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I get that, it adds an extra 90 minutes or 100 miles to go thru Mountain Home... But the thing is, you're asking Tesla to build a SC along a 2 lane road going thru SE Oregon, which is the most rural part of the entire state. I don't see that ever happening, unfortunately.
It is THE highly used travel route. It is a federal U.S. highway. It doesn't matter if no one but a family of tumbleweeds lives there because it's rural. Superchargers are for covering travel routes for people to go through--not to live there. You could say the same thing about the nowhere-ville of Hines, OR, but it was necessary.

It is THE highly used travel route. It is a federal U.S. highway. It doesn't matter if no one but a family of tumbleweeds lives there because it's rural. Superchargers are for covering travel routes for people to go through--not to live there. You could say the same thing about the nowhere-ville of Hines, OR, but it was necessary.
Sure, but looking at traffic data from ODOT, the traffic volume on US-20 going thru Hines is more than quadruple the amount of traffic going thru US-95 in Malheur county. The AADT (Annual Average Daily Traffic) score on US-20 near Hines for 2020 was 6337. The AADT score for US-95 in Malheur county is 1640.

The AADT score for US-95 in Malheur county is 1640.
Is this a self fulfilling prophecy? Do you suppose this might increase if there were a Supercharger along that route so Tesla's didn't have to divert the long way?

@Rocky_H, I feel for your situation but also see it from Tesla's perspective. As a local, do you know of any commercial establishments along the Boise - Winnemucca that might benefit from and would host and support the installation of a Supercharger? Remember; from Tesla's perspective, it is a cost/benefit decision as to where to install a Supercharger.
Part of the cost portion of this formula is scouting for a location and working with potential site-hosts and local authorities to put in a Supercharger. Tesla's scouts know little about the areas they install Superchargers but, if a local county or city economic development manager or a restaurant or hotel owner were to approach Tesla, the cost portion of that equation might drop greatly and make it worth their while.
I've, personally, contacted several different businesses and economic development boards in places where I wanted a Supercharger. I told them of the benefits to them, and helped them to contact Tesla.
Of course, one time, a hotel owner threatened to call the police on me when I suggested it as well. Vindication prevailed though: Today, that hotel, under new ownership, has a J-1772 destination charger and is right next door to arguably the greatest of all Supercharger sites.
Today, there are a few very happy owners and local governments in a couple in towns few had ever heard of before who are thrilled that they are now a red spot on the Supercharger map and Tesla drivers know fondly of them - all contributed to my introduction of them to the concept. I even suspect you've used them.
Remember that the more remote the area, the brighter that red spot on their town/restaurant looks.
The benefit of a site may only be great to you but small to most, however, you can skew the math by only using your power and knowledge to help reduce the cost.

Disappointing news...

1652735012379.png

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
Tesla's scouts know little about the areas they install Superchargers but, if a local county or city economic development manager or a restaurant or hotel owner were to approach Tesla, the cost portion of that equation might drop greatly and make it worth their while.
I've, personally, contacted several different businesses and economic development boards in places where I wanted a Supercharger. I told them of the benefits to them, and helped them to contact Tesla.
Yes, I've had a bit of chat with another Tesla owner who had been talking with the owners of Rome Station diner, who contacted Tesla but never got any response. People have been suggesting it to a few of the places in Jordan Valley too.

Remember that the more remote the area, the brighter that red spot on their town/restaurant looks.
Eastern Oregon, bright red you say? No, say it ain't so.

talking with the owners
Owners are a great start. Most counties and cities have an economic development board/manager. This entity is often accessible via city/county website. Another good place to push.
Sadly, nothing is guaranteed and my successes were years ago, when Supercharger coverage was the biggest challenge. Now that capacity is the challenge, they may not have resources to do too much with coverage. Pretty much all places, that are reasonably viable, that I need, are now covered.
It might be worth helping that Rome Station diner to try again - along with the economic development folks.

Eastern Oregon, bright red you say? No, say it ain't so.
I've been in much more desolate areas but, at least Boise is a real city and, with all the Californians escaping and taking over Oregon and Idaho, that route is likely to increase in usage.

Disappointing news...

View attachment 805191

Cincinnati is in the part of the country hit hard by the opioid crisis. Those cables have a lot of copper and one thing addicts do is steal metal to sell to recyclers. In Los Angeles some anti-green energy types may have heard about the Cincinnati theft and did a copycat crime just to be anti-EV.

Don't forget the Oakhurst, CA (near Yosemite) that I discovered after opening that had it's cables cut before really anyone had visited, and now the Oakland, CA parking garage near me (where you would think they have cameras) had all theirs cut. Hey, I was outta town, I didn't do it! Although I was starting to get a persecution complex about all the cut cables around me.

A friend warned me about posting the photos I got at Oakhurst, as it would lead to copycats now that they knew it was a thing that could be done, he was right, dangit.

Reactions: ohmman
Don't forget the Oakhurst, CA (near Yosemite) that I discovered after opening that had it's cables cut before really anyone had visited, and now the Oakland, CA parking garage near me (where you would think they have cameras) had all theirs cut. Hey, I was outta town, I didn't do it! Although I was starting to get a persecution complex about all the cut cables around me.

A friend warned me about posting the photos I got at Oakhurst, as it would lead to copycats now that they knew it was a thing that could be done, he was right, dangit.
FYI - the referenced photos were published by Teslarati. ;)