Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe they should not be free if they are within 60 miles of your home. JMO.

Gilroy does seem to have a lot of people not using the superchargers as intended (i.e. for proper road trips). It's close enough to San Jose that a lot of people go down to Gilroy just to make sure their car charges properly at a supercharger before going on longer road trips (and this seems like a really good idea to me- as long as the don't stay too long once they determine everything works). Other people are driving down to LA from the factory and are a little nervous about making it to Harris Ranch in the crazy new electric car they just bought. And I've even heard of people driving down there every weekend to charge, eat lunch, and then drive right back. I agree the latter is abusing the system a bit, but I bet it would be cheaper for Tesla to simply add more charging bays at these locations than to develop the software required to charge locals for using the superchargers.

I live just about 60 miles from Gilroy. But I was doing an out and back day trip to the Santa Lucia highlands and I wouldn't have made it back without stopping in Gilroy at least once. So just living close to a supercharger doesn't necessarily mean you're abusing the system if you use it.

I believe that Tesla should at the very least publish a "code of responsible Supercharger usage" Part of this should include not using the supercharger for your daily charging to allow people who are traveling to use the system efficiently. If this does not work, then a fee for usage close to home would be in order IMO. Anything that is free makes people do very crazy things that they would not normally do.

- - - Updated - - -

How? Then my dream is that Tesla will place a Supercharger close to my apartment in Rome ;-)

The car knows your home. The car knows where you are at all times. The car knows when your are supercharging. It could log these events and Tesla could bill as appropriate.

I've said this before.... My time is valuable, and if I have to wait for a charge, then ALL of the value, convenience and benefit of driving an EV is gone.
I reminds me of the Gas lines in the 70's. I'm sure that some of you remember that.:eek: This is important for Tesla and the owners to get right from the start! Don't try and fix it later.

I'm a little over 30 miles from Gilroy and if we're coming up from the South, we'll often stop by the superchargers there for a break to feed the baby and get a drink. If the supercharger doesn't look busy and I'm "low enough", I'll stop in to charge. Today, all 4 were in use with one waiting, so I just parked in the shade near a gorgeous brand new multi-coat red P85 (who was also parked near the SC, but not using it) for our rest stop. Once Tesla comes out with range-aware, supercharger-aware routing, that'll help a lot with the factory deliveries stopping excessively.

Tesla does have a patent on using a variety of factors (including payment) to prioritize charging on a multi-head system, so it's obviously something they've thought about, but I suspect that the marketing from having the basic SCs be free is easily worth it.

When a need a J1172 charger on a trip, I try to look for at least one pay charger so that there's a better chance I can use it. The free L2 chargers around here just get swarmed by plug in priuses...

I've said this before.... My time is valuable, and if I have to wait for a charge, then ALL of the value, convenience and benefit of driving an EV is gone.
I reminds me of the Gas lines in the 70's. I'm sure that some of you remember that.:eek: This is important for Tesla and the owners to get right from the start! Don't try and fix it later.

There was definitely some grumbling from some of the other owners waiting for a charge. In the past (a whopping two months ago), talking with other owners at a supercharger had always been a bit of a Tesla love fest so this is definitely a change. I hope they can add more bays pretty quickly to scale with the number of cars they are selling. Of course, I won't complain too much if they blanket the rest of the country with superchargers (including some in Todd's neck of the woods) before they expand the chargers at Gilroy.

One other quick observation- the superchargers are MUCH busier than all the J1772 charging stations I've visited (with the exception of the chargers at the Venetian in Las Vegas that are highly used). At all the other J1772 stations I've visited, I was the only car charging (I used the charger at a winery in Lodi and they were kind of shocked that somebody was actually using it). So I think Tesla completely nailed it with the superchargers. Now I just hope they are able to build the network out quickly enough to keep people from souring on the idea of EV powered road trips.

Last edited:
I believe that Tesla should at the very least publish a "code of responsible Supercharger usage" Part of this should include not using the supercharger for your daily charging to allow people who are traveling to use the system efficiently.

Ok you are right. I was joking before. I didn't realize how big the problem of using the Superchargers is getting in the USA.

I already have a trip to Champaign planned for the weekend of May 18th, and Bloomington-Normal is not on my route, but I would go the extra 45 miles out of my way in a heartbeat just to lay eyes on a Supercharger in person

I have a trip to Chicago coming the following week after you, I am planning to drive through Normal, if the superchargers are not ready I need some RV parks to charge, I have 290 miles to do with kids 5 & 2 years old.

The convenience of plugging in own garage and 'refueling' is one of the big pluses of the Model S, why some people go for routine charging to a supercharger out of their way is difficult to understand.

The first time I stopped at a supercharger was similar to the first time I used the web browser on the original iPhone. Both were "aha- this is how you are supposed to do this" moments. So I bet quite a few new owners would go out of their way to test out a supercharger at least once because it's pretty amazing technology (and if they have a 60 kWh then they just paid $2,000 for the ability to use the supercharger). I've used several blink and chargepoint chargers just to test them out to make sure I knew how to use them when I actually needed to.

Normal, IL Station

The License Agreement is going to the Town Council on Monday, May 20th. Tesla says it will install in June if the agreement is approved on the 20th. The charging stations will be on the 3rd floor of the parking deck not the top floor, per my contact at planning & zoning.I'll try to attend the meeting and let everyone know what happens.

I have a trip to Chicago coming the following week after you, I am planning to drive through Normal, if the superchargers are not ready I need some RV parks to charge, I have 290 miles to do with kids 5 & 2 years old.

I recommend you check with zerompg. He lives in Bloomington, and will be monitoring the progress. Based on his info, it looks like they are not expected to be operational until July 1st.

Normal, IL update

License Agreement is online @ http://www.normal.org/index.aspx?nid=96; click on most recent report
Pages 56-66. Diagram of station is on page 65.

Interesting:

#10-Licensee may install security cameras and other equipment to monitor the premises from off-site.

#12- If non-Tesla motorists repeatedly park in the Dedicated Stalls, thereby impairing use of the Dedicated Stalls, or if motorists repeatedly park in the Enabled Stalls for greater than the permitted duration, then the parties shall together determine and implement an appropriate and effective strategy for preventing such impairment.