Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
License Agreement is online @ http://www.normal.org/index.aspx?nid=96; click on most recent report
Pages 56-66. Diagram of station is on page 65.

Interesting:

#10-Licensee may install security cameras and other equipment to monitor the premises from off-site.

#12- If non-Tesla motorists repeatedly park in the Dedicated Stalls, thereby impairing use of the Dedicated Stalls, or if motorists repeatedly park in the Enabled Stalls for greater than the permitted duration, then the parties shall together determine and implement an appropriate and effective strategy for preventing such impairment.

http://www.normal.org/Archive.aspx?ADID=1183

I've said this before.... My time is valuable, and if I have to wait for a charge, then ALL of the value, convenience and benefit of driving an EV is gone.

IMO you're making too big a deal out of it, and exaggerating beyond the point of validity. I get value, convenience, and benefit out of driving an EV in many ways and every single day: no stopping at gas stations is just one of them. But that benefit alone does save me at least 15 minutes a week, or about 13 hours a year. My time is valuable, and the EV saves me time overall. If I need to stop and supercharge 2-3 times a year, even 7-8 times a year, then I'm only using up the time already saved by not stopping at gas stations.

IMO you're making too big a deal out of it, and exaggerating beyond the point of validity. I get value, convenience, and benefit out of driving an EV in many ways and every single day: no stopping at gas stations is just one of them. But that benefit alone does save me at least 15 minutes a week, or about 13 hours a year. My time is valuable, and the EV saves me time overall. If I need to stop and supercharge 2-3 times a year, even 7-8 times a year, then I'm only using up the time already saved by not stopping at gas stations.

Read my following post regarding missing a meeting. If I am put in this situation, I can't afford to be late to I will have to drive the Gasser. Its's that simple.

New California Supercharger locations

I have it on good authority (Tesla employee, but don't want to be more specific than that and get anyone in trouble) that there will be Superchargers in San Juan Capistrano, Oxnard, Buellton, and Atascadero. Work expected to start within a few weeks. Could not confirm the Paso Robles location, but it seems like it would fit with the others.

I have it on good authority (Tesla employee, but don't want to be more specific than that and get anyone in trouble) that there will be Superchargers in San Juan Capistrano, Oxnard, Buellton, and Atascadero. Work expected to start within a few weeks. Could not confirm the Paso Robles location, but it seems like it would fit with the others.

Atascadero is very close to Paso Robles (12 miles), so I doubt that they would put superchargers in both locations.

Atascadero -> Buellton: 80 miles
Buellton -> Oxnard: 81 miles
Oxnard -> Hawthorne: 65 miles
Hawthorne -> San Juan Capistrano: 57 miles

Though that kind of spacing would be great, I'm not sure it makes sense before there's supercharger coverage in the rest of the country. Of course, maybe they will be announcing supercharger coverage over the rest of the country at the same time.

Atascadero is very close to Paso Robles (12 miles), so I doubt that they would put superchargers in both locations.

Though that kind of spacing would be great, I'm not sure it makes sense before there's supercharger coverage in the rest of the country. Of course, maybe they will be announcing supercharger coverage over the rest of the country at the same time.

considering the huge number of Model S's in California and that future reservations are correlated with past deliveries, I'd say it makes a lot of sense to build up the network in California.

I'd love to be able to drive a Tesla down 101 and then cut over on highway 58 from Santa Margarita (just south of Paso and near Atascadero) over to McKittrick/Buttonwillow at I-5, and then south to Tejon Ranch and LA. It's a beautiful drive, you rarely see another car in either direction. But you'd have to be juiced up with plenty of power to make the crossing (it's a mountainous 75 miles -- pure car-commercial driving scenery).

As much as I would selfishly love it if these locations are confirmed this week, I don't know why we need SCs in Atascadero/Paso, Buellton, and Oxnard. Even with 60s you don't need all three to drive through to LA on the 101. Although I don't think it's a zero sum game with other parts of the country as marginal cost of adding one more SC isn't going to break the bank now, from a PR or atmospheric perspective, Tesla needs to start rolling out SCs in places like TX or FL that currently have none. Don't want to upset folks in other places by killing it on the 101 route in SoCal.

As much as I would selfishly love it if these locations are confirmed this week, I don't know why we need SCs in Atascadero/Paso, Buellton, and Oxnard. Even with 60s you don't need all three to drive through to LA on the 101. Although I don't think it's a zero sum game with other parts of the country as marginal cost of adding one more SC isn't going to break the bank now, from a PR or atmospheric perspective, Tesla needs to start rolling out SCs in places like TX or FL that currently have none. Don't want to upset folks in other places by killing it on the 101 route in SoCal.

Any common franchises in those towns? Like In N' Out Burgers? Maybe a deal has been put together.

Um, yeah. I'd suggest between New York and Chicago, y'know? Right now the Supercharger network seems to exist mostly for Californians, and for those crazy people driving between Washington and Boston (a congested route where most sensible people take the train).

Tesla has made a major, major error in its Supercharger location choices, which I have *already* pointed out to them. They are locating the Superchargers near large concentrations of Tesla owners. (Explicit statement from a Tesla representative.) This is wrong. They need to locate them in a string stretching AWAY from large concentrations of Tesla owners. Where there are large concentrations of Tesla owners, it's already easy to charge. But it's hard to drive away from that area. Superchargers need to be located in the smaller cities between large cities, to make road trips possible.

As planned, the Supercharger network -- the long-term plan !!! is useless for driving west from upstate NY. The planned gap on I-90 from Cleveland to Albany (!!!), impossible to drive due to lack of charging, shows that Tesla isn't thinking clearly about this. At least one is planned in Scranton, which is the first one which will be of any use to me. It's not just me, though: the announced "long term plan" has over-large gaps across the Appalachains all the way down, and with the gaps in upstate NY and Canada, Tesla has somehow designed a network which doesn't get you from the East Coast to Chicago. This is just *poor planning*, presumably due to not thinking about when people will actually use Superchargers.

I hope the big Supercharger announcement is "Hey, guys, we've actually designed a Supercharger deployment plan which makes sense!"

While I might be biased, I think it would be better to have a good network in a few areas, than to have a not-so-good network sprinkled across the country. Of course, the best is to accelerate the development altogether.

Supporting 101 between SF and LA has the additional benefit of easing the burden on the HWY 5 stations in regards to factory deliveries to LA, where the Model S currently is an "in" car, a unique situation which Tesla should support in the best way possible.

However I'm sure the upcoming announcement will be of general value, and be about nation-wide, or even world-wide plans.

Tesla has made a major, major error in its Supercharger location choices, which I have *already* pointed out to them. They are locating the Superchargers near large concentrations of Tesla owners. (Explicit statement from a Tesla representative.) This is wrong. They need to locate them in a string stretching AWAY from large concentrations of Tesla owners. Where there are large concentrations of Tesla owners, it's already easy to charge. But it's hard to drive away from that area. Superchargers need to be located in the smaller cities between large cities, to make road trips possible.

Unless you have access to the manager in charge of the Supercharger network any statements you have received are likely to be vague generalizations. It is obvious that Tesla is starting the Supercharger build-out in states of highest Model S concentrations, as it should, but to conclude that Tesla is deliberately putting them in large cities where there are large concentrations of owners is to ignore the facts in terms recent installations. At the risk of stating the obvious in citing these Supercharger locations Tesla first must start with a major strategic highway, then it must find a cooperating host location that has the necessary amemities. If a small city has both of those criteria I'm sure Tesla would locate a Supercharger there.

As planned, the Supercharger network -- the long-term plan !!! is useless for driving west from upstate NY. The planned gap on I-90 from Cleveland to Albany (!!!), impossible to drive due to lack of charging, shows that Tesla isn't thinking clearly about this. At least one is planned in Scranton, which is the first one which will be of any use to me. It's not just me, though: the announced "long term plan" has over-large gaps across the Appalachains all the way down, and with the gaps in upstate NY and Canada, Tesla has somehow designed a network which doesn't get you from the East Coast to Chicago. This is just *poor planning*, presumably due to not thinking about when people will actually use Superchargers.

If you are inferring that the "Dot Maps" are planning tools and not merely marketing literature, then with all due respect you are being rather naive.

Larry

Um, yeah. I'd suggest between New York and Chicago, y'know? Right now the Supercharger network seems to exist mostly for Californians, and for those crazy people driving between Washington and Boston (a congested route where most sensible people take the train).

I hope the big Supercharger announcement is "Hey, guys, we've actually designed a Supercharger deployment plan which makes sense!"

They could really use your help so I'm glad you are offering advice. Otherwise their stock would be suffering.

Yeah, those are a lot closer than I thought. The worker seemed pretty confident when he zoomed in on each city on his phone to show me, though. I guess we'll find out soon enough...

Yeah, those are a lot closer than I thought. The worker seemed pretty confident when he zoomed in on each city on his phone to show me, though. I guess we'll find out soon enough...

And there are Rabobank 70A chargers in-between each of these locations (Salinas, Atascadero, Santa Maria and Goleta) so Model S drivers on 101 would be able to stop and charge every 35-40 miles.

Re: Normal, IL SuperCharger -

If this is planned for the TOP level of a parking garage I fear for winter visitors. Better to nestle in on a lower floor, out of the wind, drifting snow, etc, no?

I'll visit next month to check it out, in Forester/trailer ICE rig. :frown:
--