Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was what I was saying.. not the Tesla sponsored HPWC or SCs., but rather independent third party vendors buying, installing, and operating a Supercharger stall or two -- FOR A FEE. Not part of the "free" Tesla SC network. But if a gas station or convenience store could invest $200k in the infrastrcture, and then charge reasonable rates for Supercharging, they probably could make their money back in 5 years or so (along with other concession sales)..
I see one problem here and that is the conflict that might arise between owners of commercial superchargers and Tesla when more free superchargers is added within reasonable distance from the commercial superchargers.

Only 1 stall at Dublin, CA

I visited Amador Plaza Rd today. The Chrysler/Jeep signs were off the building. 1/3 of the lot was empty but there were still about a hundred jeep/... products on the lot. There was activity at the dealership, perhaps winding down business. Perhaps Chysler/Jeep has done a months rent back while they vacate. Others closer to Dublin will have to monitor and report as time goes by, I'll be out of the area. It's a good location.... but it will be a while before a supercharger is live at this location. My guess.... Labor Day time frame.

According to Supercharge.info, there is only 1 stall? WTF?

I see one problem here and that is the conflict that might arise between owners of commercial superchargers and Tesla when more free superchargers is added within reasonable distance from the commercial superchargers.

Once the MX and M3 are out? There's going to be plenty of competition for the "free" SCs.. enough so that, even if just a little more convenient, I'd certainly pay for supercharging closer to my destination, rather than leaving my car parked at an inconvenient L2 charger to spend 5+ hours to get the same charge.

For instance, this January I was in Charleston, SC for a bat mitzvah.. there are a few good L2 chargers around the city, but none really "that close" to my hotel. I arrived without a good charge, so I had to park my car at an empty parking lot about 10 blocks away from my hotel and walk back. About a 15 minute walk in Jan wasn't a problem, but I wouldn't want to do that in the hot summer! But it's also not so far I was going to pay for a 2 minute cab ride. Over the weekend, this lot was essentially abandoned (empty), and I was quite uncomfortable to leave my car there overnight. But I had to! There were no other options. I even think the L2 charging was free there.

But if I could drive there and supercharge for an hour to nearly full, and drive back to my hotel and park (so I don't have to walk 10 blocks the next day to retrieve my car).. that's worth the value of paying for destination located supercharging.

Last edited:
But just imagine if there was a Starbucks a few blocks away that was giving away coffee for free???

Not exactly the same thing as free coffee, if selling coffee if the basis of your business.
There are many hotel chains that have free breakfast, and if you are a frequent guest they might give you a reduced rate or occasional free room.
The cost of electricity @ a hotel to charge a Model S over-night should not exceed $10, unless the local electricity rate is bonkers (like Hawaii).

Starbucks does NOT charge extra for cream, milk, sugar, spices, et al to be added to their coffee.
I am not aware if they would have a problem if you brought in your own coffee and then proceeded to add cream, milk, sugar, spices et al from the Starbucks counter (but I would imagine they eventually would say something.)

Not exactly the same thing as free coffee, if selling coffee if the basis of your business.
There are many hotel chains that have free breakfast, and if you are a frequent guest they might give you a reduced rate or occasional free room.
The cost of electricity @ a hotel to charge a Model S over-night should not exceed $10, unless the local electricity rate is bonkers (like Hawaii).

Starbucks does NOT charge extra for cream, milk, sugar, spices, et al to be added to their coffee.
I am not aware if they would have a problem if you brought in your own coffee and then proceeded to add cream, milk, sugar, spices et al from the Starbucks counter (but I would imagine they eventually would say something.)
You missed the point. The Starbucks charging for coffee would probably soon go out of business if one opened near that did NOT charge for coffee. Just think how perturbed you would be if you opened a "for-charge" supercharger in Smallville and had a good business running and Tesla decided to build a "for-free" supercharger just outside of town. That was my point.

The lowest SC price estimate I recall seeing on the board was $150k (no solar canopy) when broken down off multiple units - price not including maintenance, insurance & utility bill. How long 'till the convenience store owner pays down that debt, selling a few extra twinkys & got dogs.
;)

Even though I'd happily pay $10-20 for a convenient Supercharge...
The power source itself would have to be free or nearly free to turn a profit from 'selling electrons at a reasonable rate,' meaning solar - Big Solar - would be an important part of this model. By the time solar $/kW comes down enough, this model is likely to be a Tesla "product" solar+charger bundle. Hmmm, better throw some big batteries in too...

The capital outlay for a profitable (stand-alone) fast charger 'bidness' is just too high for the foreseeable future. ChargePoint CEO convinced me:
http://youtu.be/wgMF9c767qA

Last edited:
Even though I'd happily pay $10-20 for a convenient Supercharge...
The power source itself would have to be free or nearly free to turn a profit from 'selling electrons at a reasonable rate,' meaning solar - Big Solar - would be an important part of this model. By the time solar $/kW comes down enough, this model is likely to be a Tesla "product" solar+charger bundle. Hmmm, better throw some big batteries in too...

The capital outlay for a profitable (stand-alone) fast charger 'bidness' is just too high for the foreseeable future. ChargePoint CEO convinced me:
http://youtu.be/wgMF9c767qA

Do you really trust a guy who says that supercharging is too slow to wait around for, or were you being facetious?

It's always good to have the [email protected] web address handy to give to your current or future "away from home" destinations. Add it to your correspondence with your hotel, etc. Let them know in advance; way in advance if possible.

Over time we will find many, many more HPWC's at our desired destination locations!

At this stage of electric vehicle growth and travel about the country, we have to be vocal, always adding our request that hotels etc. install HPWC'S. ....... asap!

How can I charge at my destination?

Tesla is working with hotels, resorts, and other destinations to encourage the installation of High Power Wall Connectors where our customers spend time away from home. If your organization is interested in offering charging to Tesla owners, send us a note here, or email [email protected]

I just saw that some real time availability information is showing in the on board Nav system! I knew that the Corsicana station was off line due to a problem with the utility power. ( This is reported on in the Texas supercharger thread) Anyway- I pulled up the charger list in the car and sure enough, when you scroll down to the Corsicana station is has a note that says temporarily closed... Way to go Tesla- I thank you for this important update to the nav screens... As I scrolled around looking at other superchargers in the list, Harris ranch says power reduced, and Lone Pine says Temporary location. So Tesla has been listening and has taken action. I hope someday they will put number of stalls in use on the screen- but at least they will now tell you if the station is off line!

I just saw that some real time availability information is showing in the on board Nav system! I knew that the Corsicana station was off line due to a problem with the utility power. ( This is reported on in the Texas supercharger thread) Anyway- I pulled up the charger list in the car and sure enough, when you scroll down to the Corsicana station is has a note that says temporarily closed... Way to go Tesla- I thank you for this important update to the nav screens... As I scrolled around looking at other superchargers in the list, Harris ranch says power reduced, and Lone Pine says Temporary location. So Tesla has been listening and has taken action. I hope someday they will put number of stalls in use on the screen- but at least they will now tell you if the station is off line!

"Stalls in use" isn't very useful. At the point that you make your decision whether to stop or not, none of the cars currently at the Supercharger will be there at the time you arrive. "Expected stalls in use at expected arrival time" could be useful.

Lone Pine (California) is in a permanent location in the parking lot of the Film Museum. Lone Tree (Colorado) has always been listed as temporary (at least for the past 14 months or so) because the permanent installation (now completed) was at the exit for Denver International Airport off I70. I do not know if or when the Lone Tree location at the shopping mall will be removed.

This brings up an interesting point, however. We have come to identify Superchargers by the towns where they are located, and this is sensible. If my recollection is correct, currently there is a Supercharger in Springfield, Oregon and one in Springfield, Illinois. I do not think that there are any other locations where the place names are identical. No doubt as Supercharger locations expand, we will have more locations that will have duplicated names but in different states.