Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Reno, Nevada, home of the GIGA Factory does not have a Supercharger? Or a Tesla "dealer"? Where are my neighbors taking their cars for warranty work? Roseville, California?

The gigafactory parking lot has superchargers. You'd have to get past the guard gate but if you got there during business hours (daylight) they might let you have a charge.

I predict the map won't be updated until March 31. Elon could make a big splash by revealing not only the "Tesla for the rest of us" but also show how N.A., Asia, and Europe will be blanketed with Superchargers and maybe also expanding it to include Mexico and India among others by the time the ≡ is launched. It would also be a good time to announce the beginning of fulfilling the 3rd part of his original promise of "free, forever, on pure sunlight." Announcing a huge cooperative deal with SolarCity would sure help my portfolio. ;)

Reactions: Jake-R
The gigafactory parking lot has superchargers. You'd have to get past the guard gate but if you got there during business hours (daylight) they might let you have a charge.
I seriously doubt that Tesla is going to let people use the Supercharger stalls at the Gigafactory. I would not plan a road trip and assume that location would be a charging stop.

I seriously doubt that Tesla is going to let people use the Supercharger stalls at the Gigafactory. I would not plan a road trip and assume that location would be a charging stop.

I wouldn't count on it today. Especially while construction is going on. But since they do allow tours for guests you could luck up and get in if you hit that 1 in 300 chance or whatever the odds are. I'd also expect when construction is finished for them to allow more visitors and have tours just like the Fremont facility has. There will come a day when stopping by the gigafactory to take the tour while supercharging will be a common occurrence.

I see some dig alerts at the Madonna center indicating that construction is imminent. Lines lead to an abandoned transformer pad adjacent to the entrance to the Madonna Inn. Right off the freeway and adjacent to good restaurants and shopping. I was told by an electrical contractor that a supercharger was in the works for this location. Searching permits with the county, I do not see this listed yet.

I see some dig alerts at the Madonna center indicating that construction is imminent. Lines lead to an abandoned transformer pad adjacent to the entrance to the Madonna Inn. Right off the freeway and adjacent to good restaurants and shopping. I was told by an electrical contractor that a supercharger was in the works for this location. Searching permits with the county, I do not see this listed yet.
Lloyd thanks for your report, sounds promising. I am going to start a new thread in the California Superchargers forum about your find. Please update us in that thread when you have more news.

There was a plan to install standard fast chargers at the Madonna Inn but the organization that was doing it abandoned the project. That is why there is abandoned charging infrastructure there.

There was a plan to install standard fast chargers at the Madonna Inn but the organization that was doing it abandoned the project. That is why there is abandoned charging infrastructure there.

I was thinking having superchargers at the Madonna and just up the road in Atascadero is kind of overkill.

If they were going to install another supercharger in San Luis Obispo County I would think a small one in Morro Bay would be a better location. That would cover both ends of the scenic stretch of highway 1 with one in MB and one in Monterrey. If I wanted to make the run S to N I can charge over night at my father's in Morro Bay, but most people don't have that option and for a smaller battery car I would think having to go over the coast range from MB to Atascadero on Hwy 41 would be a bit of a nail biter after making the run from Monterrey.

I predict the map won't be updated until March 31. Elon could make a big splash by revealing not only the "Tesla for the rest of us" but also show how N.A., Asia, and Europe will be blanketed with Superchargers and maybe also expanding it to include Mexico and India among others by the time the ≡ is launched. It would also be a good time to announce the beginning of fulfilling the 3rd part of his original promise of "free, forever, on pure sunlight." Announcing a huge cooperative deal with SolarCity would sure help my portfolio. ;)
This would help it sell!

If I wanted to make the run S to N I can charge over night at my father's in Morro Bay, but most people don't have that option and for a smaller battery car I would think having to go over the coast range from MB to Atascadero on Hwy 41 would be a bit of a nail biter after making the run from Monterrey.

Definitely agree since Google maps shows the trip from Monterrey to Atascadero is 1736 miles. Charging in Mexico alone has got to be a challenge.

• Funny
Reactions: Klaus
Definitely agree since Google maps shows the trip from Monterrey to Atascadero is 1736 miles. Charging in Mexico alone has got to be a challenge.

Damn spell check. I should have known better, I grew up in Monterey Park, CA. The LA suburb few Angelinos have ever heard of (at least that was the case when I was a kid). Though it was very well known in Taiwan back then.

I usually just tell people I'm from East LA.

Reactions: smartypnz
No one else has even started to build their charging networks to support long distance EVs. There isn't a non-Tesla standard that supports > 200 amp charging.

There is a reality of what a realistic long distance BEV charging network must be, no matter the plug standard. It is clear that Tesla thought about it and embarked on turning a realistic vision into reality. No one else has done this. CHAdeMO remains a waste of money, chosen more as an anti-competitive measure than promote EVs. The fact that SAE standardized the CCS plug after Tesla shipped the Model S on purpose, and managed to fail to provide enough amperage to support long distance BEVs demonstrates where the other automakers are with BEVs. The fact that it's now 2016 and the next rev still isn't standardized further attests to the lack of vision and commitment from the other automakers.

It is complete lunacy to continue to install 50 kW DC EVSE's.
It's funny because when you hear a big wig from Tesla talk about supercharging, its just like "we felt supercharging was important, so we went on ahead and did it"... like they are doing something that's normal, when its completely unheard of!! I'm just going to refer to this as a kind of "Tesla's just a Tesla" attitude and leave it at that.

• Love
Reactions: Electric Jupiter
I was thinking having superchargers at the Madonna and just up the road in Atascadero is kind of overkill.

If they were going to install another supercharger in San Luis Obispo County I would think a small one in Morro Bay would be a better location. That would cover both ends of the scenic stretch of highway 1 with one in MB and one in Monterrey. If I wanted to make the run S to N I can charge over night at my father's in Morro Bay, but most people don't have that option and for a smaller battery car I would think having to go over the coast range from MB to Atascadero on Hwy 41 would be a bit of a nail biter after making the run from Monterrey.

Here are a couple of photos taken today from the Madonna Inn. The USA markings are weathered. I don't think this was ever destined to be a Supercharger site, but see what you think...
Madonna1.jpg
Madonna2.jpg