Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before you accuse somebody of something, make sure you understand the word's definition.

Well the literal dictionary definition of "degradation" does allow you to use it for any situation "reduced in quality; inferior" but the EV definition reserves degradation to permanent changes in status and has people using other words to describe reduced range of a temporary nature.

To me any one that uses degradation to describe a temporarily reduced range is conflating that with permanent range decline aka degradation.

Apparently you disagree. Language is fluid over time and regional. I can't force you to use the words the same way I would.

As of today, there are ONLY 5 Super Charger Stations in the large Los Angeles County area. It is NOT enough!
As of today, there are ONLY 2 Super Charger Stations in the large Orange County area. It is NOT enough!

I am saying these because LA and OC California has one of the largest populations, and one of the largest Tesla owner groups.

Wait until Model 3 shows up...

• Love
Reactions: callmesam
As of today, there are ONLY 5 Super Charger Stations in the large Los Angeles County area. It is NOT enough!
As of today, there are ONLY 2 Super Charger Stations in the large Orange County area. It is NOT enough!

I am saying these because LA and OC California has one of the largest populations, and one of the largest Tesla owner groups.

Superchargers are intended for long distance travel, not local charging. Most large cities have 0 superchargers. King, Snohomish, and Pierce counties in Washington State have over 4 million people and have 0 superchargers. Multnomah County in Oregon which is the county Portland is in has 0 superchargers. The closest supercharger to Seattle is halfway to Portland.

The Los Angeles area needs some superchargers because people pass through the area going somewhere else, but the high density of SC in the Los Angeles and SF Bay areas are anomalies compared with the rest of the world. There definitely does need to be more SCs to support the Model 3, but for California most of the expansion needs to be adding more stations at existing locations rather than adding locations. There are some voids in coverage around CA, but it's better covered than anywhere else in the world.

Superchargers are intended for long distance travel, not local charging. Most large cities have 0 superchargers. King, Snohomish, and Pierce counties in Washington State have over 4 million people and have 0 superchargers. Multnomah County in Oregon which is the county Portland is in has 0 superchargers. The closest supercharger to Seattle is halfway to Portland.

The Los Angeles area needs some superchargers because people pass through the area going somewhere else, but the high density of SC in the Los Angeles and SF Bay areas are anomalies compared with the rest of the world. There definitely does need to be more SCs to support the Model 3, but for California most of the expansion needs to be adding more stations at existing locations rather than adding locations. There are some voids in coverage around CA, but it's better covered than anywhere else in the world.

Superchargers are intended for locals charging in big cities also. California has the largest population of any state and Southern California has more people than 48 other states, by itself.

It is NOT better covered than anywhere else in the world. The coverage is terrible considering the density of Supercharging vehicles.

Norway is covered better than anywhere else in the world.

Reactions: David99
Harris County (Houston) population is 4.5 million and has 1 supercharger.
The Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex population is 7.1 million and has 1 supercharger.
I'd say Southern California is well served compared to other population centers, especially as San Diego isn't on the way to anywhere but Mexico and the Pacific Ocean. Remember superchargers are primarily to enable long distance travel and not for the convenience of local owners, with certain exceptions such as London where dedicated parking spaces are rare.

What IS it with people not understanding the concept of time? They need to watch more Doctor Who. This time you're talking about, when the Model 3 shows up, is about 2-3 YEARS from now. (I'm not talking the first few deliveries. I mean when there is actually a significant number delivered to matter.) Why do you think they will NOT build any more Superchargers there in the next few years?

As to other people's comments about how Superchargers are not supposed to be in cities, I cut California some slack there. I don't live in California, but I have looked at a map. It's hard to say make it outside of cities, when you have a dense uninterrupted population center that just goes on and on continuously for about 150+ miles. So just connecting any kind of route is going to have some Superchargers basically "in" the city anyway--no way around it.

Everyone's perspectives differ; here's mine:

The very finest way to keep from having to sell Teslas in any geographic region is....not to install any Superchargers there.

As my beat-to-a-pulp-this-dead-horse goes, var. 17 May -

We have vanishingly small number of Teslas in Alaska, by any metric. Very most tellingly including on a per-capita-with-capital basis.

Moreover, effectively any travel in Alaska is by definition long-distance travel.

And I'm figuring California will likely be on their 150th or so SpC by the time TM gets around to considering here.

How many times do we have to discuss the exact same topic in the same thread? LOL
Why do people use population to justify Supercharger density? It has nothing to do with population, it has everything to do with how many Teslas are driving in one area. Tesla knows where their cars are and where they need to charge. There are about 6-10 times as many Teslas registered per capita in California than the national average.

Harris County (Houston) population is 4.5 million and has 1 supercharger.
The Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex population is 7.1 million and has 1 supercharger.
I'd say Southern California is well served compared to other population centers, especially as San Diego isn't on the way to anywhere but Mexico and the Pacific Ocean. Remember superchargers are primarily to enable long distance travel and not for the convenience of local owners, with certain exceptions such as London where dedicated parking spaces are rare.
I expect to make a trip to San Diego and Orange County later this year and I'm grateful for that lone Supercharger in SD (as well as the one in San Juan Capistrano). I'll be passing through via I-8 and I-5 and my travel certainly qualifies as "long distance". By contrast, the lack of a Supercharger anywhere near Seattle will be a nuisance when I visit that area next week.

I certainly won't argue that sprawling cities like Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth need more Supercharger love. But the So. Cal. ones are needed as well.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I expect to make a trip to San Diego and Orange County later this year and I'm grateful for that lone Supercharger in SD (as well as the one in San Juan Capistrano).
So what you need are destination chargers, to charge while you are at your destinations of San Diego and Orange County, not necessarily superchargers.

I expect to make a trip to San Diego and Orange County later this year and I'm grateful for that lone Supercharger in SD (as well as the one in San Juan Capistrano). I'll be passing through via I-8 and I-5 and my travel certainly qualifies as "long distance". By contrast, the lack of a Supercharger anywhere near Seattle will be a nuisance when I visit that area next week.

I certainly won't argue that sprawling cities like Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth need more Supercharger love. But the So. Cal. ones are needed as well.
If you take I-15, you could also consider Rancho Cucomonga and Temecula.

Destination and lots of L2 chargers will work pretty well overnight. Book your lodging with that in mind. Lots of the Ayres Hotels in the area seem to have 80A HPWC for the most part.

So what you need are destination chargers, to charge while you are at your destinations of San Diego and Orange County, not necessarily superchargers.
I'll be parking on the street when I stay with my SD friends and in Orange County the aunt I will be visiting on a day trip is in an assisted living facility. So, destination charging is impractical. And unnecessary, thanks to the Supercharger Stations, for which I am grateful.

If you take I-15, you could also consider Rancho Cucomonga and Temecula.

Destination and lots of L2 chargers will work pretty well overnight. Book your lodging with that in mind. Lots of the Ayres Hotels in the area seem to have 80A HPWC for the most part.
I really don't like the traffic on I-10 and I-15, so I'll stick to the southern route. I may also make a foray up to Culver City and am dreading the traffic if I go. The irony is that I learned to drive in LA, albeit eons ago when the skies were more polluted but the traffic was less intense.

I can't justify the cost of hotels. If I can't stay with family or friends or camp I don't go. Being thrifty was how I was able to afford a used Model S.

Reactions: callmesam
I'll be parking on the street when I stay with my SD friends and in Orange County the aunt I will be visiting on a day trip is in an assisted living facility. So, destination charging is impractical. And unnecessary, thanks to the Supercharger Stations, for which I am grateful.

I really don't like the traffic on I-10 and I-15, so I'll stick to the southern route. I may also make a foray up to Culver City and am dreading the traffic if I go. The irony is that I learned to drive in LA, albeit eons ago when the skies were more polluted but the traffic was less intense.

I can't justify the cost of hotels. If I can't stay with family or friends or camp I don't go. Being thrifty was how I was able to afford a used Model S.

Lots of public L2s around SoCAL... Check Plugshare around where you're staying. You never know what's a walking distance from you.

60 Supercharger and the lower 48. is "done". Here's why:

12 Superchargers needed Tucson AZ to San Antonio TX
6 Superchargers needed Dallas to Nashville
8 Superchargers needed Omaha to Denver
12 Superchargers needed Billings MT to Minneapolis
5 Superchargers needed Salt Lake City to Cheyenne
4 Superchargers needed NYC to Cleveland
13 assorted connectors

That includes Utah for @KJD
And TX for @TexasEV
And WA for @wdolson
@AudubonB I'm not sure when Tesla will get those 15-20 Superchargers necessary to traverse Alaska or the 15 that will be needed to get you through Canada to the lower 48. I hope they come soon.

Another 200 Superchargers in a series of rings patterns around every 200,000+ population city at each highway junction and the entire U.S. is really "done."

Another 20,000 HPWC Destination Chargers and there's nothing left to do but go for a drive.