Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're missing Park City Utah and Ogden Utah as "coming soon" but we don't have a hard location yet.

I'm only including the ones listed as "Coming Soon" in 2017 right now, as that's hard enough to keep track of, and the Utah ones say they are "Coming Soon" in 2018. Tesla has already started on a couple 2018 superchargers and a few not on the list at all, so keep your eyes open on Park City and Ogden.

Did you miss Sarasota, Florida? 20 stations!

Sarasota opened in August, so it has dropped off my list. The big stations aren't just for California anymore!

I'm only including the ones listed as "Coming Soon" in 2017 right now, as that's hard enough to keep track of, and the Utah ones say they are "Coming Soon" in 2018. Tesla has already started on a couple 2018 superchargers and a few not on the list at all, so keep your eyes open on Park City and Ogden.

Sarasota opened in August, so it has dropped off my list. The big stations aren't just for California anymore!
Thanks you for all your efforts it is appreciated, I always look forward to your report.

Reactions: jrreno and emupilot

There are also locations showing up that are not in the Tesla map at all. The Fayetteville, NC location is an example.

Reactions: jrreno
This is the first time there has been over 60 combined Construction + Permit in the United States (+6 in Canada!) at supercharge.info, and should correspond to an opening rate of almost 1 per day in North America. That will still leave them far short of their 2017 target, but as least they are taking the need to accelerate supercharger deployment seriously.

In the past, Elon has stated that their Supercharger open rate was close to 1 every 24 hours, that said I don't recall the number of "Under Construction" sites that drove that open rate. But, my "feeling" is that we're almost double the number of "Under Construction" sites that we've had at any time in the past (sound about right?). If that's the case, could we potentially see 2 per day in North America? Maybe Worldwide...?

Also, if we're at ~ 7400 charging ports worldwide today, then that leaves 2600 remaining for 2017 target. As of today, 53 days remaining in the year, so 2600/53 =~ 50 ports per day. We do have some larger sites coming up in the near future but I suspect the average port per site number is more like 15 to 20. So, best case is 2 * 20 * 53 = 2120 + 7400 = 9520 ports by the end of 2017. Now, what if they can get to 3 opening per day, so maybe another 50% under construction? It would take more time to get those going but they might be able to push it closer to their target.

Probably just wishful thinking but they've really stepped up their game this year and I wouldn't put it past them!!

@emupilot ,
Just an FYI, but as many of us have known for a while, Tesla confirmed on Saturday that the original Lone Tree, CO Supercharger will eventually go away once the new Lone Tree, CO (located 700 feet away) comes online later this week. I guess there's nothing to update just yet but I thought I'd let you know there will only be one location in Lone Tree.

• Informative
Reactions: emupilot
So is this frenzied, construction push expected to eventually reach a satisfactory supercharger saturation level here in the USA and construction taper off to a trickle sometime near the end of 2018? I mean the Northeast and Upper Midwest looks to be fairly thick with them by January 2018. I'm thinking in terms of a timeline putting a lid on cash burn. Any ideas?

However once the Model 3 production hits stride and they get up to the production and sales goals they set for themselves, the cost of supercharger expansion will be down in the noise.

Tesla reports the cost of building new superchargers buried in the "Automotive & Services and Other Segment" which includes the cost of manufacturing cars, depreciation of equipment, shipping, and a number of other things. For Q3 2017, that entire segment cost them $2.298 billion (superchargers may be part of the Services and Other subsection which cost $237 million in Q3). The revenue from selling cars was $2.667 billion.

Expanding the supercharger network is already paying for itself. They are losing money because their cost of R&D was $331 million and the cost of "Selling, general, and administrative" was $652 million. They also shelled out $117 million in interest expenses. By Q2 next year gross profit from sales will probably be twice what it is now, and by the end of the year closer to 3X.

They will have to continue to expand superchargers at a high rate as the M3 rolls out because the fleet in the US is going to triple in the next year, if not grow even faster. They also need to expand service centers to handle the growth. Some service centers are way over capacity today. Portland, OR is one of them, it's supporting the entire state of Oregon and SW Washington. They just opened a bigger facility and they have badly outgrown it in a couple of months. They are parking cars in a vacant field near the building because the lot is overflowing.