Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just submitted an article to Seeking Lies. Here is a synposis:

Tesla fails SuperCharger promise big time:

Tesla fell way short of their goal of deploying 10000 Superchargers by end of 2017, and not by a small amount. They fell short by a whopping 20%. That is 2000 less stations than what Enron Musk promised. If this is not an indication of poor performance, then what is? Tesla most likely don't have the cash to burn to build these super chargers. Had this been any other well run company, the board would have fired its CEO. But here we have an incompetent board that is incapable of mustering courage to fire a CEO who has consistently performed poorly.

Meanwhile we just came to know that BMW, Audi and VW will team up and install 46 L2 stations by 2090 all over Europe. This will be a devastating news for Tesla.

I/We are short Tesla.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey ! That was supposed to be a joke a parody on how those shorts in Seeking Alpha and Yahoo boards frequently refer Elon as Enron. It is NOT a typo, but to reflect exactly what goes in a Tesla haters mind everytime when they refer to Elon.

You need to get out more and read those boards, just for the sake of humor.

The last thing I would ever do is go read boards where there are a lot of Tesla haters. We have too many of them here and they should stop posing here and join in on all of the hate messages on those other boards.

I just submitted an article to Seeking Lies. Here is a synposis:

Tesla fails SuperCharger promise big time:

Tesla fell way short of their goal of deploying 10000 Superchargers by end of 2017, and not by a small amount. They fell short by a whopping 20%. That is 2000 less stations than what Enron Musk promised. If this is not an indication of poor performance, then what is? Tesla most likely don't have the cash to burn to build these super chargers. Had this been any other well run company, the board would have fired its CEO. But here we have an incompetent board that is incapable of mustering courage to fire a CEO who has consistently performed poorly.

Meanwhile we just came to know that BMW, Audi and VW will team up and install 46 L2 stations by 2090 all over Europe. This will be a devastating news for Tesla.

I/We are short Tesla.
Oh, it's parody. It sounded pretty believable. Many a true word is said in jest. Keep up the great work Enron, but take a little easier on the over promise, please.

There are now 500 supercharger locations open in North America! Canada: 36; Mexico: 6; USA: 458.

There were 361 open at the end of last year, the number that Elon said they would double. Looks like it won't be anywhere close to that, not even 50% growth unless they open four per day for the rest of the year. Still, pretty good all things considered.

Reactions: KJD
There have been quite a few existing superchargers that were expanded and the new stations are mostly large. However, he did miss the target of doubling the number of stalls by the end of this year.

To be fair, some of it may have been due to circumstances out of their control. They need to negotiate for locations, get permits, hire local contractors, inspection, etc. Anybody in that chain could hold up the show for months.

I would call this a "win" if they get close to doubling the number of stalls by the end of January or early February next year. I haven't added up the number of stalls in superchargers under construction, but if you add the number that are actually in construction to the already open, the number gets a lot closer.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Not sure if Elon said double the locations or stations. Some people interpreted his statement as 'stations', in which case it is better progress
I'm sure. See Tesla's February 2017 8-K. You'll find: "...and we plan to accelerate expansion of the Supercharger network this year, starting with doubling our number of North American Supercharger locations in 2017."

Adding Superchargers is far more logistically difficult than upping production because negotiating with each site's property owner and then dealing with the local government and utility company takes time and can't be controlled. Even if Tesla doesn't make their goals, they are still doing far more than anyone else. Sure, MB or GM can put chargers at most dealers locations relatively easily, but they're not too useful as they tend to be available only during business hours, may have spotty maintenance, or may be filled with the dealer's own cars. I haven't heard of any plan by others to create a real network the way Tesla has done.

Adding Superchargers is far more logistically difficult than upping production because negotiating with each site's property owner and then dealing with the local government and utility company takes time and can't be controlled. Even if Tesla doesn't make their goals, they are still doing far more than anyone else. Sure, MB or GM can put chargers at most dealers locations relatively easily, but they're not too useful as they tend to be available only during business hours, may have spotty maintenance, or may be filled with the dealer's own cars. I haven't heard of any plan by others to create a real network the way Tesla has done.
Having been a Leaf owner and trying to depend on Nissan Dealer Chademo’s I couldn’t agree more. Dealer networks are a joke. Having done a lot of Supercharge traveling I can state that Tesla partnering with vendors like Sheetz and WaWa will help Tesla get user friendly fast charging in place.

Interesting to note that ~99% of all SCs marked "Coming end 2017" on Tesla's map have changed to "Coming end 2018" (This happened about 12 hours ago)

The ~1% which don't say "Coming soon" happen to be, of the ones I've checked, sites that are known to be under construction. Examples, the selected sites in the maps below are the only "Opening soon" ones in each screenshot - all of the other grey ones are "end of 2018":

My point being that it just so happens the site below have already been spotted (see supercharge.info) but there may be some "opening soon" which have not been spotted. If everyone clicks on all the grey markers in their area you may find a new location which is at the tail end of construction!

upload_2017-12-24_12-42-40.png

upload_2017-12-24_12-45-3.png

@Chuq, here are the ones I found that are marked Opening soon without mentioning 2018.

Phoenix, AZ
Cupertino, CA
Fremont, CA
Lake Elsinore, CA
Mt. Shasta, CA
Sunnyvale, CA

Thousand Oaks, CA
Yermo, CA
Danbury, CT
Orlando, FL
Skokie, IL
Natick, MA
Auburn Hills, MI
Livonia, MI
Jersey City, NJ
Woodbridge, NJ
Manhattan, NY
Manhattan, NY - Midtown
New Rochelle, NY
Yonkers, NY
Lynnwood, WA

Boras
Brighouse
Condeixa-a-Nova
Enfield
Estremoz
Fleet
Graz
Kotka
Laval, QC
Liphook
Merida
Madrid
Markham, ON
Miyun/Beijing
Owen Sound, ON
Pickering, ON
Ponferrada
Sanson
Swindon
Taizhou

Wetherby
Yueyang

Please tell me you were able to compile that list w/o having to click on every ferschliggina dot on Tesla's map.

Would you think highly of my dedication to the cause or be afraid of my lunacy if I had? :)

But to answer your question, nope. I used curl, sed, grep, and a few other Unix tricks to parse the data from their web site. First time I had looked at the data that goes into the map, so it took maybe 20 minutes to find the list and parse it. There may be a couple errors, but the list should be very close to complete.