Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because I own and operate a small chain of restaurants, I am very familiar with how these leases should work. When the lessor is responsible for maintenance, and then fails to perform, follow up by the lessee should follow. My point is, had I been on the phone with Elon Musk with this issue, I'm quite sure I would have received a better response. I'm not only a Tesla owner, I'm also a shareholder. So I have Teslas best interest at heart. I'm only saying that the staff at Tesla should have a real sense of urgency when it comes to removing roadblocks to customer satisfaction. But that is just one mans opinion.

Because I own and operate a small chain of restaurants, I am very familiar with how these leases should work. When the lessor is responsible for maintenance, and then fails to perform, follow up by the lessee should follow. My point is, had I been on the phone with Elon Musk with this issue, I'm quite sure I would have received a better response. I'm not only a Tesla owner, I'm also a shareholder. So I have Teslas best interest at heart. I'm only saying that the staff at Tesla should have a real sense of urgency when it comes to removing roadblocks to customer satisfaction. But that is just one mans opinion.

Hear, hear!

Even if the response had been something like, "Snow removal is the responsibility of the site owner, but we understand your difficulty. We will try to contact someone right away and call you back. In the meantime, here is your closest alternative charging option...," Tesla would have been and appeared much more supportive.

Amen. Even if they acknowledged there was nothing at all they could do to help you immediately, all they had to do was indicate they would follow up with the lease owner to prevent it in the future, rather than just absolving themselves of responsibility. Hopefully this is just a training issue and an early bump in the road...the lease owners may have no idea how often these stations are being used, but Tesla surely does.

Keep in mind, this is the first winter in the U.S. with Superchargers. There are a lot of learnings to be shared between owners (pack a folding snow shovel?), lease holders, contractual maintenance terms, sub-contracted snow removal folks, and, much of the country has been dumped on lately, so yeah, I'd expect a few inconveniences. Tesla customer service training will improve.

(I admit, that was easy to post from Phoenix, AZ)

Last edited:
That's really unpleasant, DCWitt. Let me suggest, however - and this is based on the full text of a Tesla<--->landlord contract that I have seen - the Tesla representative you talked to was absolutely correct. Tesla PAYS the landlord a monthly rent on each stall, and as part of that contract, the landlord is indeed responsible for normal maintenance. As in snow removal.

Does Tesla pay rent for every supercharger across the world? I thought there were a number of them in which they did not pay a monthly rent.

My 2 cents regarding "snowed in" superchargers: Although Tesla doesn't necessarily own the land, they are absolutely in charge of operating and maintaining the superchargers. At the very least, Tesla ought to phone the landlord to have snow plowed if a customer raises the issue. Saying "it's not our problem" isn't the smartest thing to communicate wrt to what it says about their company.

My 2 cents regarding "snowed in" superchargers: Although Tesla doesn't necessarily own the land, they are absolutely in charge of operating and maintaining the superchargers. At the very least, Tesla ought to phone the landlord to have snow plowed if a customer raises the issue. Saying "it's not our problem" isn't the smartest thing to communicate wrt to what it says about their company.

Agreed. They need to be sure they are operating. That is not the same as accessible.
Let's be practical here. In this country, we are accustomed to gas stations often at semi-busy roadway intersections which get snow removal pretty quickly after a snow storm. Tesla Superchargers are not at semi-busy intersections; they are in parking lots. Often, the back of the parking lot. Highways get plowed first, city intersections next, commercial areas, residential streets eventually, and parking lots are last. Just be realistic, when snow is abundant and snow-removal equipment is limited, our Supercharger spots will NOT be first priority, no matter who you call.

Plan for that.

Give the guys as Tesla customer service a break on this.

Just be realistic, when snow is abundant and snow-removal equipment is limited, our Supercharger spots will NOT be first priority, no matter who you call.

Give the guys as Tesla customer service a break on this.

Don't think anyone expects superchargers to be a first priority. But to tell a customer "not our problem" and offer no help, I mean seriously? That's bad customer service, pure and simple.

Don't think anyone expects superchargers to be a first priority. But to tell a customer "not our problem" and offer no help, I mean seriously? That's bad customer service, pure and simple.

Is that really what they said, though? The guy just said they told him that snow removal is the responsibility of the land owner, which is factually correct. Let's not get all bent out of shape at every slightest sign of bad customer service.

Does Tesla pay rent for every supercharger across the world? I thought there were a number of them in which they did not pay a monthly rent.

Heavens, I've seen ONE contract. I've no info on all sites.

I DO know, however, that there is a prevalent attitude in snow belts locations that Any Snow Must Be Cleared For Me FIRST. I don't when that developed - sometime during the Me Generation. And I'll say no more on this subject.

now youre just misquoting, no one from tesla said "its not our problem"

When was the last time you called the headquarters of Exxon-Mobil because you couldn't get to one of their pumps?
(oh Lord, I've opened it up now.)

All I'm saying here is, Tesla doesn't control the weather, snow-plow routes, fallen tree limbs, power-outages, ICE vehicles, and dozens of other things that could inconvenience us. Customer Serve is really new at this. They have no manual.

When was the last time you called the headquarters of Exxon-Mobil because you couldn't get to one of their pumps?
(oh Lord, I've opened it up now.)

All I'm saying here is, Tesla doesn't control the weather, snow-plow routes, fallen tree limbs, power-outages, ICE vehicles, and dozens of other things that could inconvenience us. Customer Serve is really new at this. They have no manual.

+1,

Whoa! Timeout guys. I had just planned on adding my 2 cents, but I've apparently set off the Tesla fanboys.

To be fair, I do not know exactly what was said during that conversation. Maybe Tesla did offer to call the landlord to have them clear the supercharger, I don't know. The sense that I got, however, was that there was no such offer. But that was just my interpretation. If there was indeed no offer to help then I stand by everything I've said.

All I can say is keep a shovel in the car when driving in snow conditions... keeps you warm getting to the free stuff

I grew up in Minnesota and keeping a shovel on hand is good advice for anybody who's going to be driving in snowy conditions, not just people who need to clear out a Supercharger spot. It sucks that it might be the case that we have to clear out a spot every now and then, but as somebody else mentioned, Supercharger spots are probably the last priority for snow removal. It's one of the downsides of not having an attendant working there like you'd have at a gas station, I suppose, but one I'm willing to live with. :)

If so, then Tesla should do something to enforce those contracts. There have been other reports of owners being snowed in at Angola/Maumee. Tesla should contact the site hosts to make sure they are keeping their end of the bargain.

How would people get snowed in at a Supercharger? I can understand being snowed out, but not snowed in.

Sadly, it seems that putting 24 hour facilities at non-24-hour locations is going to cause some problems, at least initially. I would agree that a shovel will be essential for Northerners.