Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are they building a huge one at that location because there is congestion there or because it is simply feasible
I drove from Kingman to Barstow Friday afternoon. Barstow was full (or had <3 vacancies) the entire journey from approximately 1:30 until 3:40ish. I arrived around 4:00 to five openings. By the time I unplugged a hour later, there were lots of openings--I'd guess around 12.

Incidentally, Yermo was also showing about 1 or 2 vacancies the whole drive. Baker had a short wait for about 30 minutes or so, and then it vacillated between 5-8 vacancies until around 3:30 when it opened up.

So, I think there is a descent upon Barstow on travel days around the lunch hour lasting until mid afternoon. Face it, to stop in at Chili's for a quick bite or a beverage makes more sense to spend extra time for extra juice than going to Baker where there is zip.

WOW !!! After close to 350,000 miles I don't believe I have charged over 40 minutes - usually closer to 20.
We've driven 250,000 miles in our Teslas and there have been many times where we've had to charge for over 40 minutes. Historically, Superchargers aren't as close together outside of California and if we travel off the interstates, it often requires a charge of 80% or more to get to our destination. As an example, we've driven from Custer, SD to south central Nebraska on one charge. While we could've gone out of our way through Wyoming, that would've added nearly a hundred extra miles, over another hour of driving and another Supercharger stop. It was faster to charge longer in Custer and head directly south through South Dakota and Nebraska. Also, many of the Superchargers that we use along I-80 and I-70 are still v2 and our charge rate greatly decreases if someone plugs in at a paired Supercharger stall. It's nice to see Tesla is adding a few more Superchargers along I-80 in Nebraska. Hopefully I-70 across Kansas will get some new v3 Superchargers as well. We've already seen Limon, CO is being expanded with v3 Superchargers. More v3 locations will greatly decrease many of our Supercharging sessions but won't totally eliminate the need for us to charge over 80% on some road trips.

Reactions: IdaX and XHabjab
WOW !!! After close to 350,000 miles I don't believe I have charged over 40 minutes - usually closer to 20.
My choices are limited heading west on SR58 with a charge-rate crippled 2014 S85. I was paired from the git-go, thereby reducing my potential max rate of ~95kW to 72ish. Second, I could have risked stopping at Mojave 60 miles west, but that location is frequently packed with a short wait on Fridays despite the recent small expansion. As I was heading towards Mojave, the vacancy rate ebbed and flowed between one and three available. That leaves Traver as the next Supercharger stop. Two hundred twelve miles with about 30 of those downhill, so more like two hundred miles driving at or 5 MPH beneath the speed limit. I departed with 87% and arrived with around 10-11%. So, yeah, maybe I could have been more aggressive and unplugged five minutes earlier in hindsight.

I too have frequently charged for close to an hour. Before Needles was installed, I drove from Kingman to Barstow. It took an hour to reach 96%, and I arrived in Barstow with 10%. From Blanding UT to Flagstaff was another leg. Worthington, MN to Council Bluffs IA is a third (this was before Sioux Falls.)

So, as MorrisonHiker wrote so eloquently, sometimes it is more prudent to charge for an hour-plus to tackle a more direct route instead of charging less, driving more and recharging en route.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
While we could've gone out of our way through Wyoming, that would've added nearly a hundred extra miles, over another hour of driving and another Supercharger stop.
You're right. On my 48 state tour last year, Wyoming was my only crunch location. I had left West Yellowstone and was heading to Sheridan - but I wanted to cross Wyoming. (The year before my son and I had come from the other direction and did the same spectacular route). So, I knew there was an L2 charger at the Buffalo Bill Center in Cody (30 minutes) which enabled me to safely make it over the Bighorn National Forest thru Greybull and Dayton on US Hwy 14. Between those two towns, I was the only car on the road (both ways) - musta been Covid.
Then there was another non SC charge in Pigeon Forge, TN - a week before the SC opened - but plenty of L2 chargers as I was there for a family 'get together' before continuing my trip.
My M3, of course will take the max SC rate - which helped a lot. My wife's MS would have made it a longer trip.
Point is, I sympathize with the lack of SC's for most owners destinations and remember the early days with V2 and many miles between - even here in California. But my trip last year, although crippled by Supercharger location making it my primary route, showed what it will be like in a short time. Chargers will be plentiful (and also EV's). but charging will most likely become something you do while hitting a restroom or fast food pickup.

You need a 2013 Model S 85 like mine which takes 35 minutes to charge from 35 to 135 miles on a Version 2 120 kW Supercharger. Version 3 is no faster.
Yeah - that would be my wife's first - but after 185k miles, she replaced with a MS100 which is over 100k miles. But still charges slower than my M3. So, I agonize when we use hers for trips. Mine doesn't have "enuf room".

How many miles in your 2013 S? What is 100% range? Original battery?
I have a 2013 P85 with 90K miles, original battery, and I experience the same (relatively) slow charging issues. My 100% has dropped from ~270mi to ~240. I asked about it during service a year or two ago — it has been this way since then — and the tech said charging speed and capacity were within expectations for my car (presumably based on age, miles driven, etc).

The reduced range doesn’t bother me, especially now that there are so many more places to supercharge. The reduced speed is an annoyance, and it has slowed down our last few trips, but I still enjoy it on road trips. I’ve learned to be better about riding the bottom of the battery — charge from 10% to 50-60% rather than 20% to 80% — and that helps some.

That will all change for us very soon though, when my wife gets her Y (looks like this week or next!) — we’ll have to pay to supercharge, but I’m confident we’ll quickly be spoiled by 250kW and the longer range.

I have a 2013 P85 with 90K miles, original battery, and I experience the same (relatively) slow charging issues. My 100% has dropped from ~270mi to ~240. I asked about it during service a year or two ago — it has been this way since then — and the tech said charging speed and capacity were within expectations for my car (presumably based on age, miles driven, etc).

The reduced range doesn’t bother me, especially now that there are so many more places to supercharge. The reduced speed is an annoyance, and it has slowed down our last few trips, but I still enjoy it on road trips. I’ve learned to be better about riding the bottom of the battery — charge from 10% to 50-60% rather than 20% to 80% — and that helps some.

That will all change for us very soon though, when my wife gets her Y (looks like this week or next!) — we’ll have to pay to supercharge, but I’m confident we’ll quickly be spoiled by 250kW and the longer range.
Thanks for those details. Besides the slow supercharging, just wondering how does a 10 year old first generation Tesla drives?

Thanks for those details. Besides the slow supercharging, just wondering how does a 10 year old first generation Tesla drives?
Still ridiculously fun! I'm probably due for new tires soon as they currently can't quite keep up with the car's power, but otherwise it hasn't lost a thing aside from ~10% range and the charging speed.

I did end up having to upgrade the center console for a variety of reasons, but other than that and a couple quirks with door handles and a window, it's still doing great! As for regular maintenance, I've had to replace tires twice (almost ready for set #4), 12V battery once (I think), and both headlights once each.