Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure but if you say so ok ....

It's totally true. This actually has implications on which charge station you should use. The stations are numbered 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B and so on. Each A/B pair shares a charger stack. There is power sharing between the A/B pair. If one is in use and you plug into the other one, you will get less power as the first one gets priority. You would be getting the "left overs".

Not sure but if you say so ok ....

scaesare is correct. Each pair of Supercharger Stalls (spaces) is served by a single Supercharger Cabinet.

As far as we know, each Supercharger Cabinet has 12 Charging Modules that are the same as those in the car. At the 135 kW DC Output power level, the AC Input Power is about 150 kW assuming 90% efficiency. Because 150 kW / 12 is 12.5 kW, and that is more than the U.S 10 kW per module and European 11 kW per module power level, there has been speculation that Tesla has upped the number of modules to 15. As far as I know this has not been documented, however it is plausible. There are several pictures of 12 modules in a Supercharger Cabinet.

So 8 Stalls are served by 4 Supercharger Cabinets, each containing 12 Charging Modules for a total of 48 Charging Modules for an 8 Stall Supercharger Site.

If I might add another fly or two to your ointment:

#1.
Some Landlords and municipalities have strict aesthetic compliance issues which must be met for the Supercharger equipment housing.
One size or flavor does not fit all.
Some times it is wood fencing, some times it is brick, or CMU, or metal railing, or white PVC fencing.
I recall seeing a set of renderings and Construction documents that was either 30 or 60 pages of drawings.
Construction Documents do take time to be properly engineered and drawn.
And each installation is unique, in terms of geography, weather, overall infrastructure, number of charging stations, parking layout, required demolition.

I believe Tesla is trying to build quality on-going relationships with the local, regional and national firms that are devoting a portion of their real estate for the safe deployment of equipment and the dedicated car parking areas.
Building and maintaining relationships is not a drive-thru operation: it takes time, both initially and on-going.

#2.
Local Contractors typically bid on projects, or possibly groups of projects.
Maybe after they have some experience and if the schedule is correct, it could be done on a Cost Plus basis.
Since Tesla is working on so many jurisdictions (multiple codes and inspections), they probably have to work with some local contractors also (Unions).
Qualified Project managers and superintendents are worth their weight in gold.
There are probably a hand-full of quality superintendents who have actual experience for all the steps required from demolition to turn-over of the Installation for actual MS owner use.

#3.
The Supercharger towers and the pylons are manufactured to Tesla's specifications.
Initially, they were 90 kWh, then 120 kWh, now 135 kWh Units.
The current pylon design is slightly arched and have LED lighted letters in the hood.
So, who knows how many of the current units have already been manufactured and are sitting on a truck dock ready to be shipped, deployed, installed?
Who knows what the next set of refinements might be for the towers? (Which would/could allow for even faster charging rates, or possibly be adaptable for other vehicles, such as Roadsters?)

#4.
Tesla has deployed a number of temporary Superchargers in the past (pairs of chargers on skids).
Similar to #2 above, how many of these might be sitting on a warehouse dock ready for installation somewhere?

#5.
And some locations require ADA access parking (see #1 above).

Locating, designing, installing, completing: these are all Steps, and they are not as as easy as some would like to outline.

MAYBE one day this will be easy, but IMO the further Tesla focuses their efforts toward some vicinities, the more effort may still be required.
Their's must surely be a resilient and under-appreciated lot.

<<<Go back and watch the Macedonia, Ohio City meetings for local Civics 101, or review Columbus, Texas Supercharger in a flood plain layout because a lot of the decisions start and stop right there.>>>

Granted all of these concerns are valid and take time to work through. The real issue is the communication process. Tesla continues to promise many more SC then they have the ability to deliver. This phenomena began last year when they published their first coming soon map. It would be very easy for Tesla to communicate more effectively. There should be criteria for sites that are on the coming soon map. IMO these sites should be sited and in the permitting process. In this way there would be a finite timeline. Usually 1 - 3 months. In addition, maps should be adjusted more frequently. At this point Tesla should have a good idea of which sites will be online by the end of 2014. I would say if they have not located a site and are not in negotiations with a landlord then there is only a very small chance that the site will be available this year. Moving into next year they should publish a map with general areas that they are considering and solicit feedback on these locations as i doubt they have made any headway on these sites beyond putting a dot on a map. If they have then they should probably be on the 2014 map or the coming soon map.

From my observation of the SC process to date, the limiting factor is not the build crew. There are sometimes hiccups with local government approvals and power company hook up but for the most part, once there is a permit application, the process goes pretty quick. There are, indeed, some exceptions to this (Edison, one in CA that escapes me now) but for the most part, it's a relatively predicable small number of weeks to completion. And the actual work that needs to get done is not terribly complex. The actual SC "guts" are pretty much cookie cutter at this point. Some permits applications have required resubmittals but that still doesn't seem to be a significant factor.

What we don't have visibility into is the site selection and negotiation processes. One of those is the gating factor here. It's been my experience that negotiations always take more time than you would ever think possible. Part of the problem is due to the fact that every site is unique and has issues that need to be resolved. Some owners will be greedy or overly demanding or just plain difficult. I am sure that a number of negotiations have fallen through and the siting team had to switch to "plan B". Maybe not a few. Perhaps some day we will know. There have been some hints that Elon is a bit exasperated by the negotiation process. He commented about how easy it was to negotiate the first crop of Norwegian SCs. That meant to me that there are other, more difficult, SC negotiations going on. So, I think that's were much of the problem lies.

Site selection can't be that hard as there really are only small number of possibilities for each targeted area. However, it does require feet on the ground evaluating each site's potential. In aggregate, it might well be an issue to vet, say, 10 potential sites and get down to 2 or 3 viable ones to come up with one final negotiated site. It's the basic business process funnel. Multiply that times 100 and we get a lot of leg work needed. Hopefully they are being smart about this process. It actually sounds like a fun kind of problem to solve.

scaesare is correct. Each pair of Supercharger Stalls (spaces) is served by a single Supercharger Cabinet.

As far as we know, each Supercharger Cabinet has 12 Charging Modules that are the same as those in the car. At the 135 kW DC Output power level, the AC Input Power is about 150 kW assuming 90% efficiency. Because 150 kW / 12 is 12.5 kW, and that is more than the U.S 10 kW per module and European 11 kW per module power level, there has been speculation that Tesla has upped the number of modules to 15. As far as I know this has not been documented, however it is plausible. There are several pictures of 12 modules in a Supercharger Cabinet.

I can more or less confirm this. While charging at ~118kW at the new SC at Solli, Norway, another car picked the other spot connected to the same SC. He got exactly 30kW. I know because I recommended he move to another spot (all 4 others were available) and he checked the rate. So 148kW total output from the SC which hints strongly at 150kW capability (15x10kW). If the chargers were 11kW the other car should have gotten 22kW or 33kW, not 30kW.

Also there were 400V-480V step-up transformers connected to each SC cabinet. Those were rated for 160kW. Also the label on the SC cabinet says 480V 3-phase, 192A. That amounts to nearly exactly 160kW (192A*480V*SQ(3)).
The 135kW rating is per output, but requires a higher battery voltage than the Model S.

I've attached pictures of the labels.

2014-07-28 20.56.38.jpg

2014-07-28 20.56.25.jpg

I can more or less confirm this. While charging at ~118kW at the new SC at Solli, Norway, another car picked the other spot connected to the same SC. He got exactly 30kW. I know because I recommended he move to another spot (all 4 others were available) and he checked the rate. So 148kW total output from the SC which hints strongly at 150kW capability (15x10kW). If the chargers were 11kW the other car should have gotten 22kW or 33kW, not 30kW.

Also there were 400V-480V step-up transformers connected to each SC cabinet. Those were rated for 160kW. Also the label on the SC cabinet says 480V 3-phase, 192A. That amounts to nearly exactly 160kW (192A*480V*SQ(3)).
The 135kW rating is per output, but requires a higher battery voltage than the Model S.

I've attached pictures of the labels.

I don't doubt what you saw, but this may have been a momentary output.

480V at 192A, 3-phase is 159.5 kW AC in, but this label is the standard Gen II, 135 kW DC Out Supercharger. At 90% efficiency, that needs 150 kW AC in. The calculated 159.5 kW on the label may be margin, or to account for the input Voltage to droop as far as 450 Volts (6%). Mains can still be in spec with a 5% droop, and 5% with a little margin is 6%. Also, the output limit of 330 Amps at 360 Volts (the low State of Charge pack Voltage for an 85) is 118.8 kW, right at the 120 kW per pedestal limit that Superchargers and cars seem to have.

Has anyone seen or taken pics of the new Chicago Service Center superchargers? Seems they quietly went online yesterday. Also hearing there are HPWCs in the same lot as well, is that correct?
I think this is a unique situation. There are two chargers in the alley at the back of the service center and the service center uses these to prep new deliveries. They said this location would not appear on the Telsa Supercharger Map. They also asked to call ahead of time to see if the chargers were available. Obviously, the chargers are there 24/7 and yes there are numerous HPWCs against the building and in the lot across the alley. Personally, I have a feeling that there is some concern for someone not familiar with the area making a wrong turn and ending up in the headlines the next morning. Just my personal opinion.

Is it really necessary to post that 6.x is released in completely unrelated threads?

Its pretty big news and if people don't go into other sections of this site I wanted to let them know. There weren't any blog posts or tweets by Elon today so I wanted to let those know who may have not seen it. I don't think it was that big of a deal to mention one post here.

To date:

50k Teslas made x $2k = $100 million in the kitty.

So 100 SCs in North America = $1 million per each.

Not counting the International SCs, of course, but just saying.
So I guess EM has not had to dip into his pocket so far to support this project.
We should plot this curve over time.
--

Not all Model S cars have Supercharging enabled, but likely over 80% do.

Here have been estimates posted on this forum that a Supercharger statin costs $200K to $250K to construct. Much less than a million.

It's probably well over 80%. The vast majority of cars are 85s, and I've never met a 60 owner who didn't have supercharging. Of course maybe that's because I'm meeting them at superchargers :)