Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla switched inverter to Delta (no optimizers) from promised solaredge (with optimizers)

Heretic

Mar 9, 2021
SF Bay Area
A couple weeks ago, we had install of a 11.8kw panel set with 3 powerwalls completed. While I was promised a system power optimizers for shading and a solaredge 10k inverter (both verbally and was on the planset in 11/2020), what is actually installed has no optimizers and a Delta M10-TL-US inverter. this brand seems to have seveer issues cuting in and out with even a small amount of shading (less than 25% of panels have partial sahde, cuts system output to 20%), or small variations in sunlight due to clouds passing by (output cuts to zero for about 30 mins).
Emailed details to project advisor (no response near 2 weeks) also the planner (no repsonse) posted service requests in the app (no response, a week), etc.

Can I get some suggestions on how to convince Tesla to install the optimizers? The limited (poor) info on delta I can find suggest they don't support optimizing, so it would mean the inverter changed out too.

Overall, this seems like shady business practices. It's analagous to making a deal to sell me an F350 pulling a trailer, and then deliver an F150 with a trailer, then run away and ignore me. I quoted otehr vendors originally with the same specced solaredge and optimizers. is this how Tesla could give me a better price? By planning to play switcheroo with the install?

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
A couple weeks ago, we had install of a 11.8kw panel set with 3 powerwalls completed. While I was promised a system power optimizers for shading and a solaredge 10k inverter (both verbally and was on the planset in 11/2020), what is actually installed has no optimizers and a Delta M10-TL-US inverter. this brand seems to have seveer issues cuting in and out with even a small amount of shading (less than 25% of panels have partial sahde, cuts system output to 20%), or small variations in sunlight due to clouds passing by (output cuts to zero for about 30 mins).
Emailed details to project advisor (no response near 2 weeks) also the planner (no repsonse) posted service requests in the app (no response, a week), etc.

Can I get some suggestions on how to convince Tesla to install the optimizers? The limited (poor) info on delta I can find suggest they don't support optimizing, so it would mean the inverter changed out too.

Overall, this seems like shady business practices. It's analagous to making a deal to sell me an F350 pulling a trailer, and then deliver an F150 with a trailer, then run away and ignore me. I quoted otehr vendors originally with the same specced solaredge and optimizers. is this how Tesla could give me a better price? By planning to play switcheroo with the install?

There is a TON of misinformation out there about optimizers. If you don't have a complicated array arrangement with minimal shading you will likely have better performance without optimizers. Even with shade there's not going to be a noticeable difference.

Optimizers what are they good for?

Mar 1, 2021
San Diego, CA

I ended up cutting my trees down due to this issue with a delta M8 inverter. Once installed it will be hard to get them to change it. How much shade do you have? What is it caused by?

cali8484

Jul 8, 2018
California

That's beyond shady. Maybe you should Tweet Musk.

bevo

Mar 10, 2021
Irvine
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Remember that Tesla offers price match (competitor quote within 14 days of Tesla's quote and other restrictions) but most importantly for you, satisfaction guarantee. From their website when placing a new order - "If you’re unhappy with your order for any reason, we will uninstall the system for a full refund within 7 days of power on"
Of course you would have to be willing to part way with Tesla solar if they won't fix it but it's an option and you can get your money back.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC