Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to J1772 Adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On that note @TonyWilliams, do you know if non-Teslas can dynamically adjust their amperage? It suddenly occurred to me that that might be a Tesla extension to J1772. And you might know since you already sale new wall connectors with J1772 connections.

It's more like a hair dryer with low, medium, high settings. The device (car, hair dryer) decides how much it should use and just "takes it".

The difference is that the EVSE tells the car the maximum amount that the car can take from the device. This is the same with the Tesla connector and the j1772.

In the case of the hair dryer it's designed to take the max of a standard wall socket.

It's more like a hair dryer with low, medium, high settings. The device (car, hair dryer) decides how much it should use and just "takes it".

The difference is that the EVSE tells the car the maximum amount that the car can take from the device. This is the same with the Tesla connector and the j1772.

In the case of the hair dryer it's designed to take the max of a standard wall socket.
"Dynamic" doesn't necessarily mean "fine-grained" or "analog". It means "changing". I know J1772 just has a fairly simple pilot signal to say how much current is available, and the car takes it. What I'm wondering about is if it's so "dumb" (i.e. completely electrical) that when the pilot signal changes after a charging session has already started, other cars will adjust immediately. Or if instead they looked at the pilot signal when the charge session started, started pulling that amperage, and no longer pay attention to the pilot until the charge session is interrupted.

J1772 specifies that the car must follow the pilot signal from the EVSE. Early on, some cars did not ramp back up when the pilot signal was increased. Most EVs, at least in the US, fully support following the pilot signal up and down now. Dual head ChargePoint L2 stations do this when they are configured to share one 40 amp circuit between both connectors.

• Informative
Reactions: ccutrer
Another month. Another update? I know I know it's not "summer." I'm impatient! (I'm living off a borrowed L2 EVSE for my Leaf. Would love to switch to a Wall Connector, especially since then I could properly share my full available amperage between two EVs rather than cutting them both back).

On that note @TonyWilliams, do you know if non-Teslas can dynamically adjust their amperage? It suddenly occurred to me that that might be a Tesla extension to J1772. And you might know since you already sale new wall connectors with J1772 connections.

We produce JDaptor Stub as an in between. I'm not aware of any non-Tesla EXCEPT the GM products that can adjust amperage.

The GM products (Spark EV, Bolt EV and Volt) can only adjust from 12 to 8 amps on 120 volts.

We produce JDaptor Stub as an in between. I'm not aware of any non-Tesla EXCEPT the GM products that can adjust amperage.

The GM products (Spark EV, Bolt EV and Volt) can only adjust from 12 to 8 amps on 120 volts.
Wow seriously!? That means none of those cars are in compliance with J1772. And those cars are useless at places like the Cal Tech project where all the chargers dynamically adjust for loads.

Wow seriously!? That means none of those cars are in compliance with J1772. And those cars are useless at places like the Cal Tech project where all the chargers dynamically adjust for loads.
Tony was talking about user-adjustable amperage change from the car's infotainment screen. They all follow pilot signals.

The e-Golf is one car that does have the ability to control the charging current, but it's extremely tedious to do it through their app and it doesn't work in real time.

Tony was talking about user-adjustable amperage change from the car's infotainment screen. They all follow pilot signals.

The e-Golf is one car that does have the ability to control the charging current, but it's extremely tedious to do it through their app and it doesn't work in real time.
OK, thanks for the clarification. It has always surprised me how little information most cars give you about charging rates, and how little control they give you.

JDapter is showing as out of stock and price of $0 on JDapter.QuickChargePower.com

What is the price and do you have more coming soon? It sounds perfect for my HPWC and the Leaf I'm considering.

Henry's Roadster CAN into our JDapter Stub

You_Doodle_2017-04-18T04_23_59Z.jpg

Reactions: MP3Mike
I purchased the $300 Ebay adapter about a month back and it works, but the power pins aren't silver plating over copper like the pins on the Model S. It wouldn't have cost much to do that. Also, if you quickly yank out the Tesla charge wand while the car is charging, you'll get a nasty arc. Best to always disconnect from the J1772 handle first. They should include a warning about that. Seems ok though. I haven't looked at the adapter from Quick Charge power. BTW, the Ebay adapter's J1772 assembly came from Quick Charge Power.

Quick Charge Power: JDapter Stub $400
Ebay unit: Tesla compatible UMC to J1772 conversion Cable | eBay $300

• Informative
Reactions: EVCarGUy