Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to J1772 Adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy. So everything needs to be weighed against that mission. It's why they provide J1772 stations in some cases - because all EVs support that goal. But just as in my case, there are installation costs associated with a second station, and the wiring of the business may not even support it without significant expense. But the adapter efficiently expands the utility of existing equipment, further supporting the mission.
This type of mentality fails to understand that Tesla cannot be the only company participating in the transition to sustainable transport. They have been quite vociferous about this fact. It's pretty obvious that the transition to electric transport would be slower if all other automakers just rode on Tesla's back when it comes to building infrastructure. What incentive would other manufacturers have to add more charging?

As for Tesla's intent when they give away Destination chargers and usually pay installation costs as well, just look to what they did in Europe (first 2 are Tesla only, 3rd + are for any EV). It also states on Tesla's web site to potential hosts, "For our mutual customers..."

Reactions: TexasEV
Yeah I saw it. Any update on the non stub version that only costs one arm instead of two?

It's definitely on the back burner, as the current product is flying off the shelves.

I have to be honest... hitting that price point looked easy when I started, and a whole lot less easy over time.

I had to bet that I could sell a lot, and I mean a BIG lot of those $199 units to pay all the overhead required to get the price that low. JDapter Stub is very safe for our company, and a good stepping stone to the future with millions of EVs roaming the highways.

So they would like to take the free stuff from Tesla, which Tesla provides for the convenience of its customers and as marketing for both Tesla and the destination, and then buy an adapter so others can take advantage of it? Did someone miss class the day they taught business ethics? Actually Tesla will even provide a J1772 along with two HPWCs for a busy enough location, which seems amazingly generous.

You are aware that other companies, Nissan, BMW and VW in particular, have donated many, many charge stations that Tesla owners use with the J1772 and CHAdeMO adapter?

It's definitely on the back burner, as the current product is flying off the shelves.

I have to be honest... hitting that price point looked easy when I started, and a whole lot less easy over time.

I had to bet that I could sell a lot, and I mean a BIG lot of those $199 units to pay all the overhead required to get the price that low. JDapter Stub is very safe for our company, and a good stepping stone to the future with millions of EVs roaming the highways.
Thanks Tony! I'd still prefer the smaller form factor, but if it's not going to exist anytime soon -- or ever -- I guess I'll be okay with the JDapter Stub.

Reactions: TonyWilliams
You are aware that other companies, Nissan, BMW and VW in particular, have donated many, many charge stations that Tesla owners use with the J1772 and CHAdeMO adapter?
How many are examples of a similar destination network to Tesla's (meaning non-dealer/manufacturer/service center locations)?

I'm pretty sure a vast majority of non-Tesla automaker subsidized chargers are dealer/service center chargers. And how many are free to charge and require no access card (nor other access control)?

I'm pretty sure Tesla's destination network is attractive because the BMW/Nissan/VW efforts aren't anywhere close.

Nissan- almost all CHAdeMO provided by Nissan are at Nissan dealers
BMW- almost all J1772 are at BMW dealers. Also they say they are donating 100 to national parks. It I think the only one installed so far is the one at Edison museum
VW- I wouldn't call a penalty for the diesel fraud a "donation"

Quantitatively and qualitatively these are nothing like the thousands of HPWCs Tesla has provided in the destination charging program, at least in the U.S.

A lot less, combined, than Tesla, and more to the point -- it was the company's choice.

I look forward to Tesla blocking your device unless the destination charger owner agrees to its use and compensates Tesla for the change in use that were not part of the original terms. I understand that Tesla may be inclined to overlook this if the use is small but it is going to be more politically difficult to squash if it becomes a common.

A few months ago I had to decide which EVSE to install. I like the Tesla HPWC a lot, and I considered that in conjunction with a J1772 adapter for our LEAF. I'm glad I decided against it. I would hate to think of sending you any money.

Last edited:
How many are examples of a similar destination network to Tesla's (meaning non-dealer/manufacturer/service center locations)?

I'm pretty sure a vast majority of non-Tesla automaker subsidized chargers are dealer/service center chargers. And how many are free to charge and require no access card (nor other access control)?

I'm pretty sure Tesla's destination network is attractive because the BMW/Nissan/VW efforts aren't anywhere close.

It seems that you're debating that Tesla charging infrastructure is "better". I agree.

That doesn't make the THOUSANDS of charge stations that Nissan (mostly), BMW and VW have installed to be unworthy of Tesla owners (who likely use the equipment quite regularly).

As to cost to the consumer, that's all over the place. I believe my "free" Supercharger access was $2500. To use the local Nissan provided CHAdeMO charger with my Tesla is $14.95 per month and ten cents per minute. I actually use it all the time with my 2012 Toyota Rav4 EV (and Toyota never did squat for EV infrastructure).

Listen, I get that people have positions on this. My position is simple... as long as Tesla is providing adapters to use Nissan and other competing auto manufacturers' charging equipment, it takes some imaginitive indignation to get too upset IMHO.

Yeah I guess that is important. In my mind I'm savvy enough to install a wall connector myself, so that switch is accessible to me. Because I'm both owner and installer. A business owner will be hiring an electrician, and unlikely to open the cover after install.
I'd like to clarify one thing (or be corrected). As far as I can tell, this switch/setting does not exist on USA HPWC gen 2 units, right? I've read the current manual many times and closely watched a Tesla-cert'd electrician install my two units and there is no option to exclude 'other' cars that I can see or locate.

The only switches and settings are for power levels (amps), one phase/three phase (loosely) power, testing protocols, and master/slave. Unless there's some hidden hardware/setting!

I'd like to clarify one thing (or be corrected). As far as I can tell, this switch/setting does not exist on USA HPWC gen 2 units, right? I've read the current manual many times and closely watched a Tesla-cert'd electrician install my two units and there is no option to exclude 'other' cars that I can see or locate.

The only switches and settings are for power levels (amps), one phase/three phase (loosely) power, testing protocols, and master/slave. Unless there's some hidden hardware/setting!
The current North American Wall Connector has a 16 position rotary switch and two DIP switches. The manual says to always set the second DIP switch up. This is the switch that is used to require the Tesla digital signaling on the European Wall Connector. I have no idea if it does anything on the North American version.

The current North American Wall Connector has a 16 position rotary switch and two DIP switches. The manual says to always set the second DIP switch up. This is the switch that is used to require the Tesla digital signaling on the European Wall Connector. I have no idea if it does anything on the North American version.
Gotcha. As you say, it says that DIP switch should always be 'up', and since we (here) don't have any options for others using the HPWC because (now) the connector is 'different' (without an adapter), either it's not documented or perhaps isn't connected to do the same thing it does overseas.

Thanks for the clarification!

Gotcha. As you say, it says that DIP switch should always be 'up', and since we (here) don't have any options for others using the HPWC because (now) the connector is 'different' (without an adapter), either it's not documented or perhaps isn't connected to do the same thing it does overseas.

Thanks for the clarification!
I own a Gen 2 Tesla wall connector and charge my Leaf with it. The Tesla wall connector spends about 8 seconds attempting the proprietary digital communication method. Then an error is indicated. A few seconds later, it reverts to the industry-standard J1772 operation and begins charging my Leaf. Tesla designed it to do this. Who knows why. European version works the same way, except no adapter is required since most Euro EVs have the same connector style.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H