Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to J1772 Adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be getting two, one for home, now I can share the circuit between the model S and the RAV4 EV, using the new HPWC, and one to keep in the RAV4 EV for destination charging. I can boost the 200 volts, at most destination charging locations, up to 250 volts and get the full 10kW charge rate. 40 amps at 250 volts = 50 amps at 200 volts.
How are you going to boost the volts from 200 to 250?

I have a autotransformer, in a box.
OK, but you can't use a transformer to boost the output voltage 25% without also boosting the input amperage by 25% (assuming 100% efficiency, which it won't be). For example if you try to pull 40A into your car at 250v with your transformer, then the primary side at 200v will pull over 50A. That would be fine on EVSEs setup for greater than 50A charging. Otherwise you would either trip a breaker or cause the wall connector to stop charging or some other problem. It sounds like you already know this and will be pulling 50A into your transformer only with EVSEs that are set up for over 50A? I'd like to see pictures of this setup when/if you do it. A 40A transformer is quite large and heavy.

I have a autotransformer, in a box.
Mine worked awesome yesterday!! Pulled a full 10kw boosting 208 to 241v yesterday for 4hrs solid with no issues! Even have my great 3d printed handle on there now! ;)

As far as Tony's adapter goes.. maybe not enough interest?

Attachments

• unnamed1.jpg
    unnamed1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 119

Nice find but kind of expensive in my opinion. Maybe worth it for people who are looking to use HPWCs often on their non-Telsa, but I wanted one so I can charge my i3 on my home HPWC. For not much more than $300, you can buy a J1772 EVSE.

The Tesla J1772 to UMC adapter is only $95 from Tesla. Should one going the other way be three times more expensive?

Maybe that will sell, maybe it won't. Not for me at $300.00.

@TonyWilliams any update on the Jdapter? It's been two months since I've last heard from you, when you said 3-6 months. I'd still prefer your design of a single piece item, rather than the two piece with a cord that is on eBay... and your price, if you're going to be $100 cheaper.

We will launch soon. After a complete redesign, there's always a moment of reflection... did we get everything?

Nice find but kind of expensive in my opinion. Maybe worth it for people who are looking to use HPWCs often on their non-Telsa, but I wanted one so I can charge my i3 on my home HPWC. For not much more than $300, you can buy a J1772 EVSE.

The Tesla J1772 to UMC adapter is only $95 from Tesla. Should one going the other way be three times more expensive?

Maybe that will sell, maybe it won't. Not for me at $300.00.

Honestly, I emailed him asking if he made one, I almost said the exact same thing, he said his design included the handle, so you can lock it and it doesn't get stolen, my thought is if it was small and about $100, it wouldn't matter as much, most people wont notice it and if it is stolen, its not as bad as $300 and you could probably make it lock anyway.
I want one out of pure convenience, to be able to stop at a free tesla station by my girlfriends house, to charge a bit faster than her house, that only has 110 plug and no slots available in the breaker box, but still not worth $300, or $200 for that matter, Much over $100 is going to be tough to do.

$199.

Ability to lock it.

Some other cool options to be revealed this summer.
Another month. Another update? I know I know it's not "summer." I'm impatient! (I'm living off a borrowed L2 EVSE for my Leaf. Would love to switch to a Wall Connector, especially since then I could properly share my full available amperage between two EVs rather than cutting them both back).

On that note @TonyWilliams, do you know if non-Teslas can dynamically adjust their amperage? It suddenly occurred to me that that might be a Tesla extension to J1772. And you might know since you already sale new wall connectors with J1772 connections.