Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Offer CCS charging adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per this Reddit post the adapter will be released in Korea soon with sales starting October 26. Hopefully we hear something about US sales soon.
Some of the interesting information from the post:

• Release schedule may change depending on product customs clearance There is.
  • The CCS Combo 1 adapter can only be used with Model 3 and Model Y.
  • It cannot be used in Model S and Model X, and when compatibility analysis with domestic charging infrastructure is completed, information on the release will be provided at a later date.
Sale price: 299,200 (tax included) About US$ 250

So it sounds like S&X support may be coming in the future?

CCS Combo 1 Adapter Release Announcement

Now it's more convenient to charge your Tesla. With the new CCCS Combo 1 adapter, you can safely and quickly charge your vehicle even on public fast charging networks.

[Release Schedule]

10/19 (Tuesday): Sales to owners with preferential purchase tickets (to be announced separately)

10/26 (Tuesday): Tesla Shop official sales start * Release schedule may change depending on product customs clearance There is.

The CCS Combo 1 adapter can only be used with Model 3 and Model Y.

It cannot be used in Model S and Model X, and when compatibility analysis with domestic charging infrastructure is completed, information on the release will be provided at a later date.

Sale price: 299,200 (tax included) about $250USD

Some of the interesting information from the post:

So it sounds like S&X support may be coming in the future?

Interesting that they say that. Maybe the ones exported to Korea have a different controller, but the S/X meant for North America have had a CCS compatible controller since February 2020.

Also interesting because none of the NAM 3/Y have a CCS compatible controller, but maybe the Korean ones do.

What's your source that says North American models are absent the CCS1 controller?

The Ukrainian company that made the passive adapters said they tested NAM 3/Y and none of them, even recent ones could handshake CCS.

From their site

MS/MX

Confirmed for work on MS/MX manufactured after 02.2020

Not working MS MX prior to 02.2020. All car needs a retrofit + config change

M3/MY

Those required EU ECU.

Works fine with the EU unit. Can be sold as a kit. CHAdemo will not work after unit replacement.

US spec, without modification NOT working on M3/MY.

It looks like it's a super easy retrofit for 3/Y, controller board is just behind the carpet in the trunk according to their instruction video.

Last edited:
ingineerix (who I think is @Ingineer ?) did say that all Teslas have PLC modems in the US since 2020.
Not sure why the Ukrainian passive adapter doesn't work on 3/Y then, maybe they didn't test on a newer 3/Y.
My bets are on this being a firmware issue that'll be resolved with an upcoming software update. I doubt that Tesla would enable their North American and Korean fleet to talk CCS1 until they release their own adapter. I would assume that the Ukrainian adapter would start working at that point too. Tesla has actively tried to thwart the Setec adapter, so I wouldn't put it beyond them to do the same for any other adapter. Plus, I'm assuming that the Setec developers who first started testing in Korea would have tried a passive adapter first before moving on to something a lot more complicated that requires firmware updates. Finally, I can't see Tesla developing two different boards (one for NA and another for Korea) when they generally do their best to limit their SKUs whenever possible.

Reactions: kayak1
My bets are on this being a firmware issue that'll be resolved with an upcoming software update. I doubt that Tesla would enable their North American and Korean fleet to talk CCS1 until they release their own adapter. I would assume that the Ukrainian adapter would start working at that point too. Tesla has actively tried to thwart the Setec adapter, so I wouldn't put it beyond them to do the same for any other adapter. Plus, I'm assuming that the Setec developers who first started testing in Korea would have tried a passive adapter first before moving on to something a lot more complicated that requires firmware updates. Finally, I can't see Tesla developing two different boards (one for NA and another for Korea) when they generally do their best to limit their SKUs whenever possible.

Weird that the S/X have it enabled since Feb 2020 though. Look at the youtube links on that adapter's site. The passive adapter is plug and play with the S/X. With the 3/Y you can swap out the control board for the EU CCS board and let the car apply a software update and it then works, no need for root access or anything. Just need to time it with a software update or get one pushed by service.

Also interesting that the EU charge port controller works on NAM Model 3/Y. There are separate DC pins on the CCS port but shared DC pins on the NAM port. Must be something else that switches if the pins go straight to the battery or the charger electronics.

Tesla better make it inexpensive to enable older Model S vehicles to use the adapter! I get the update req'd, but it should be done at a low cost. Having a 2-4 year old car not being able to use the CCS adapter could be a giant FU to customers if they can not easily make use of it.

Reactions: kayak1 and Genie
Tesla better make it inexpensive to enable older Model S vehicles to use the adapter! I get the update req'd, but it should be done at a low cost. Having a 2-4 year old car not being able to use the CCS adapter could be a giant FU to customers if they can not easily make use of it.
You don't exactly have a Ford, they will take care of you and be reasonable about it. It might take some time but in the end, they will step up.

For European cars that needed an update in order to use the CCS 2 adapter:

From Tesla.com:
How do I know if my Model S or Model X has the technical capability to charge via a CCS Combo 2 adapter?
All Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles produced after May 1, 2019 have the technical capability to charge at CCS Combo 2 charging sites with the use of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

I have a Model S or Model X produced before May 1, 2019. Can I take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging?
Yes. Schedule a simple service retrofit in order to take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging via the Tesla CCS Combo 2 adapter. You may schedule a service retrofit at your local Tesla service center via your Tesla mobile app.

How much does a CCS Combo 2 service retrofit cost?
CCS Combo 2 retrofit service costs £280, including the cost of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

Hopefully the price would run between $300 and $400 in the US for the retrofit and CCS 1 adapter.

Note that the Q&A above are for European spec vehicles, specifically GB. In other parts of Europe, the retrofit and adapter run € 299.

In Europe, the Model 3 and Y have always had CCS ports and Raven S and X had the necessary CCS electronics and can use the adapter without a retrofit.

Last edited:
I think the CHAdeMO adapter was $400 USD before they pulled it from the store. I would definitely pay that for a CCS adapter for my 2018 Model 3, assuming that the price included any electronics upgrade in the car. The passive adapter should be significantly less than that.

Reactions: theatrus
Latest info 10/8/2021

There are conflicting reports from Tesla regarding which models will be compatible, but right now this seems to be only for Models 3 and Y. Until the adapter is on sale here in the US through Tesla, we just don't know, but some will choose to believe their wishes are fact. I hope it comes before next spring for a cross country road trip in my 2020 Model S. Otherwise I may have to drive out of my way to hit a Supercharger. Then again maybe Tesla will add Superchargers where they are currently sparse.

$250

Last edited:
Now available in the Korean Tesla Shop here.
Excellent find @RadScientist! couple of things that I noted in trying to find out more: it appeared from my investigation to be limited to 300A. While I couldn’t quickly figure out a way to translate the user manual (1 page pdf) link, the figures shown appeared to be with a model s/x or so I thought based on the charge port flap.