Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Offer CCS charging adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, that would be ideal. But Tesla is never going to build superchargers fast enough or in a widespread enough manner to equal the geographic coverage of CCS. There are just too many other people putting in CCS.
There's also the fact that, without adapters, Tesla owners are 100% reliant on Tesla, which creates certain problems and potential problems. Others have commented on lack of Supercharger access in certain areas; but being reliant on one provider (Tesla) means that, should anything happen to that provider, Tesla owners will be in trouble. Problems could include technical glitches (Tesla's servers go down or become temporarily inaccessible), cyber attacks (imagine something like the Colonial Pipeline attack against Tesla), legal problems (somebody sues Tesla and the court orders that Superchargers be taken down), or financial issues (bankruptcy, or in a less dire way, somebody at Tesla forgets to pay a bill and so service is temporarily interrupted). There's also the lesser risk that Tesla has a near-monopoly on DC fast charging for Tesla owners, and that power could be abused. None of these risks seems all that great to me, and some (like bankruptcy) strike me as less likely today than they might have been a few years ago. Collectively, though, they worry me, since being reliant on Tesla might strand me somewhere on a road trip, should a problem occur when I'm traveling. That's the main reason I bought a CHAdeMO adapter two years ago; it's an emergency backup that'll help me get home if something happens to the Supercharger network when I'm hundreds of miles from home. With CHAdeMO on the decline, a CCS1 adapter becomes increasingly desirable as a hedge against Supercharger problems.

I would like to see more superchargers also, of course; but we had two unpleasant experiences this past week.
  • We charged at the supercharger in Greenville, AL (on the way to Pensacola), but system limited to 80% because it is a "busy" supercharger -in this case, 6 stalls, but only 5 of them work. I thought I could charge (using chademo, as I have the adapter for that) at the Electrify America station in Pensacola, so as to have enough for the return trip
  • Just like the last time I tried this (2 years ago!), the EA chademo charger at Pensacola was broken, with no schedule to repair it. (There were 4 CCS chargers sitting unused). Luckily, our hotel in Pensacola had a couple of J1772 charging stations and I was able to get a charge before they both quit working and then were ICEd.

• On the way back from Pensacola, stopping at Greenville (AL) SC again - only 5 charging stalls working, a line, had to wait 20 minutes before we could charge; but once again, there is a Wal-Mart about a mile away with Electrify America chargers - all CCS but one - I didn't want to get out of line to go over there, since chademo is apparently lower priority for EA maintenance. I have read that Electrify America has announced they plan to drop support for chademo altogether next year.
The reality is: Tesla drivers need CCS as an option, especially since Tesla plans to allow other makes to charge at superchargers in the future.

Maybe Tesla is afraid of temperature management issues - I don't know if the Setec CCS adapter tapers current like it is supposed to (I have not seen a reviewer address that question). Maybe Tesla is getting ready to announce their own CCS adapter for the US market- which would be great if (a) it is cost competitive and (b) it does not require a trip to service center (in my case, over 200 miles away) for additional hardware installation on the vehicle to support it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
I would like to see more superchargers also, of course; but we had two unpleasant experiences this past week.
  • We charged at the supercharger in Greenville, AL (on the way to Pensacola), but system limited to 80% because it is a "busy" supercharger -in this case, 6 stalls, but only 5 of them work. I thought I could charge (using chademo, as I have the adapter for that) at the Electrify America station in Pensacola, so as to have enough for the return trip
  • Just like the last time I tried this (2 years ago!), the EA chademo charger at Pensacola was broken, with no schedule to repair it. (There were 4 CCS chargers sitting unused). Luckily, our hotel in Pensacola had a couple of J1772 charging stations and I was able to get a charge before they both quit working and then were ICEd.

• On the way back from Pensacola, stopping at Greenville (AL) SC again - only 5 charging stalls working, a line, had to wait 20 minutes before we could charge; but once again, there is a Wal-Mart about a mile away with Electrify America chargers - all CCS but one - I didn't want to get out of line to go over there, since chademo is apparently lower priority for EA maintenance. I have read that Electrify America has announced they plan to drop support for chademo altogether next year.
The reality is: Tesla drivers need CCS as an option, especially since Tesla plans to allow other makes to charge at superchargers in the future.

Maybe Tesla is afraid of temperature management issues - I don't know if the Setec CCS adapter tapers current like it is supposed to (I have not seen a reviewer address that question). Maybe Tesla is getting ready to announce their own CCS adapter for the US market- which would be great if (a) it is cost competitive and (b) it does not require a trip to service center (in my case, over 200 miles away) for additional hardware installation on the vehicle to support it.
When it tells you there is an 80% limit, you can still change the slider back to 90% or whatever percentage above 80% you need, but yes, hopefully Tesla will offer their own CCS adapter in North America.

It's my understanding that Tesla will reduce charge limits on busy stations, but it's possible to override that. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
EA has announced that they'll be building no new CHAdeMO stations with the next phase of their deployment. AFAIK, they've not announced that they'll be disabling or removing existing CHAdeMO plugs. That's an important distinction that often gets glossed over or distorted.
  • Maybe Tesla is afraid of temperature management issues - I don't know if the Setec CCS adapter tapers current like it is supposed to (I have not seen a reviewer address that question). Maybe Tesla is getting ready to announce their own CCS adapter for the US market- which would be great if (a) it is cost competitive and (b) it does not require a trip to service center (in my case, over 200 miles away) for additional hardware installation on the vehicle to support it.
Charge rate tapering happens at the car's (or in some cases, the DC fast charger's) request. AFAIK, the adapter has nothing to do with this, except for imposing its own maximum charge rate, which the Setec adapter does. A Tesla charging on either the Setec CCS or Tesla CHAdeMO adapter has a different charge curve than at a Supercharger, but that's because the adapter has a lower absolute limit (in amps), not because the adapter isn't tapering the charge correctly.

Tesla just released the Chademo adapters 2 weeks ago and they promptly sold out. My guess is Tesla is clearing up its Chademo supply chain inventory before they announce CCS adapter as once they announce CCS availability , few or nobody will by the Chademo in the US. Again this is just my guess not based on any inside information from Tesla.

Tesla just released the Chademo adapters 2 weeks ago and they promptly sold out. My guess is Tesla is clearing up its Chademo supply chain inventory before they announce CCS adapter as once they announce CCS availability , few or nobody will by the Chademo in the US. Again this is just my guess not based on any inside information from Tesla.
Tesla has had ongoing problems keeping the CHAdeMO adapter in stock. It's usually listed as out of stock, and when it comes in stock, it sells out quickly. This pattern has been ongoing for years -- literally. It does not mean that release of a Tesla CCS1 adapter is imminent (even on "Elon time").

Sure, that would be ideal. But Tesla is never going to build superchargers fast enough or in a widespread enough manner to equal the geographic coverage of CCS. There are just too many other people putting in CCS.
As I said, call me a “dreamer”. So Tesla needs to offer a real CCS adapter or change (retro fit) charging stations and or a million cars. Can BOTH standards survive going forward? I was around for the VHS - BETA wars. And we all know how that turned out, the superior format hit the dustbin.

CHAdeMO to Tesla TSL-02 adapters aren't going anywhere. They need to continue producing them as long as they are still selling cars in Japan. The start of sales of Model Y in Japan will cause another spike in demand for it. If anything, it will be upgraded to pass more current than the 125A limit it has today. People saw Tesla testing higher power adapters even before the pandemic.

Reactions: kayak1 and mociaf9
It appears that the CHAdeMO adapter has been removed from the Tesla shop.

Is CCS adapter due soon?

I just checked the parts catalog and I noticed the Model S (facelift) and Model X have CCS ECUs listed in their US parts catalog. Have these been there, or were they just added?

Model S

KIT, ECU, EU, MS, PLCRLY1487935-00-C

Model X

EU MX CCS ECU - (PLCRLY)1495114-00-C

Reactions: lynyrdM
It appears that the CHAdeMO adapter has been removed from the Tesla shop.

Is CCS adapter due soon?

I just checked the parts catalog and I noticed the Model S (facelift) and Model X have CCS ECUs listed in their US parts catalog. Have these been there, or were they just added?

Model S

KIT, ECU, EU, MS, PLCRLY1487935-00-C

Model X

EU MX CCS ECU - (PLCRLY)1495114-00-C
The CHAdeMO adapter often goes out of stock but I don't know if they remove it from the site when that happens.

The CCS ECUs are both EU so I think they are for European vehicles. CCS is already available for recently built European S and X via an adapter and can be retrofitted to older S and X.

The CHAdeMO adapter often goes out of stock but I don't know if they remove it from the site when that happens.
Normally when something is out of stock, the Tesla site will show a picture/description of the item but will say "out of stock". It looks like they have removed the ChaDeMo adapter entirely. I'm hopeful this means a CCS-1 adapter will be available soon.

Reactions: lynyrdM

The CCS ECUs are both EU so I think they are for European vehicles. CCS is already available for recently built European S and X via an adapter and can be retrofitted to older S and X.

Those CCS ECUs definitely are used in the EU vehicles, but did they used to show up in the US parts catalog? That seems new to me but I may be mistaken. I also believe some people have installed those ECUs in North American cars and enabled the use of CCS, but lost the use of the CHAdeMO adapter. (That may have been only in the Model 3 though, which I believe doesn't support CHAdeMO in Europe). It's possible that Tesla starts offering to retrofit these EU ECUs in NAM vehicles to enable a passive CCS adapter.

• Helpful
Reactions: theatrus
Those CCS ECUs definitely are used in the EU vehicles, but did they used to show up in the US parts catalog? That seems new to me but I may be mistaken. I also believe some people have installed those ECUs in North American cars and enabled the use of CCS, but lost the use of the CHAdeMO adapter. (That may have been only in the Model 3 though, which I believe doesn't support CHAdeMO in Europe). It's possible that Tesla starts offering to retrofit these EU ECUs in NAM vehicles to enable a passive CCS adapter.

Would be interesting if they made a cutover in production nowish, knowing there are already part shortages, why not consolidate

EU CCS is CCS-2. We use CCS-1 in North America. CCS-1 won't fit a CCS-2 port, so if users in NA did retrofit their cars, I don't think they could use CCS chargers in North America.
The pre refresh S doesn’t have a CCS2 port in the EU (doesn’t fit in the tail light flap), just communications and electrical capability. It needed an external plug adapter still (like the J1772 adapter). When the retrofit happened to the new charge controller, those cars lost compatibility with CHAdeMO.

There is a third party passive CCS1 adapter which apparently can work depending on the car specifics.

Would be interesting if they made a cutover in production nowish, knowing there are already part shortages, why not consolidate
Supposedly S/X cutover to a controller capable of CCS in 2020 at some point. That passive CCS1 adapter provider confirmed it and so did ingineerix on one of his streams I believe.

Maybe S/X were able to cutover a while ago because the EU S/X still support the CHAdeMO adapter, CAN supercharging, and CCS/supercharging all with the new control board, while the 3/Y EU board does not support CHAdeMO.

Last edited:
I just scheduled service on my car for the 14th for unrelated wind noise issues and for my charge port which is acting up a bit. Hopefully they release the CCS1 adapter between now and then so I can also schedule in whatever upgrades they have to do to the car at the same time 😆