Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More good news for @neroden and anyone else in Central or Western NY... this was posted earlier today by the founder of our local fb EV group:

"More good news, now I’m hearing that Rochester is getting a Tesla service center as well. :)"

It's not on the Tesla site yet. I'll try to confirm tomorrow with Tesla Mobile Service.

Careful, folks. Much more of this and grumpy neroden will turn into fluffy, cuddly neroden. I'm not sure anyone's ready for that.

More good news for @neroden and anyone else in Central or Western NY... this was posted earlier today by the founder of our local fb EV group:

"More good news, now I’m hearing that Rochester is getting a Tesla service center as well. :)"

It's not on the Tesla site yet. I'll try to confirm tomorrow with Tesla Mobile Service.

OK! So the plan is Albany + Rochester. I still think Syracuse makes more sense, but I can live with Albany + Rochester. :)

Well, that was a sudden massive drop in pretty much every stock out there...
You miss a key point. Maxwell does indeed need a cash infusion. But so does Tesla to a much larger degree. Maxwell needs a cash-rich partner. Tesla is not it IMO.

From Maxwell's Q3 2018 ER: "As of September 30, 2018, Maxwell had approximately $23.6 million in cash, in addition to a Revolving Line of Credit for up to $25.0 million."

As of April 1, Tesla had $2.2bn cash on hand.

Here's a piece of news we'd like to see in the coming weeks or months: adding a third shift back to S+X. That would be taken as a hugely bullish signal.

If it's going to happen (no guarantees... they're more cell limited now without the 75Ds, after all), I wouldn't expect it too soon. It's going to take time for them to ramp up motor production, suspension production, and new S+X production in general.

ED: Then again, with how few they produced in Q1, there should be a cell surplus....

How big is the Model S/X SR battery ?

• Helpful
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
You miss a key point. Maxwell does indeed need a cash infusion. But so does Tesla to a much larger degree. Maxwell needs a cash-rich partner. Tesla is not it.

Wow, I started the day taking a swing at Tesla (check out the 15 "dislikes" I earned in one post! :D:D) and yes it's true that Tesla is down to its last few billion with $900m to cough up in November for Solar City... but... let's be real here.

Maxwell's problems are in the tens of millions, which is a rounding error for Tesla, so while Tesla is burning cash quicker than Bill Cosby's lawyers, they're not in immediate fiscal trouble and would have no issue raising revenue through equity. They could raise $3bn on their $40bn valuation, it's less than 10% of their valuation.

Maxwell doesn't have that option, and ARE in immediate fiscal trouble. Without their inflated price based on Tesla's offer, they have no equity to offer - they might need $30 - $40m on a $120m valuation.

But at the end of last quarter there were 10,000 or so cars in transit, so wouldn't most of those have been for U.S or Canada delivery?
You said you listened to the conference call. You might want to listen again or read the transcript. No, a lot of the 10,000 were cars that couldn't be delivered in time in Europe, even though they were mostly on the ground, because of overcrowding or snafus at the delivery centers.

Well wouldn't there have been a spike in deliveries in Norway/Netherlands/Spain? I just saw a chart someone posted and there were just gradual daily sales in April in those countries. That does not sound like a ship arrival which would create peaks and valleys.

If there is no end-of-quarter pressure delivery team takes its time. Also, some of the Model 3s from last quarter needed some work (things like some cars came with US spec parts needing to switch to EU parts) before being deliverable and logically throughput is then limited by how many cars service can fix up per day. For S/X sales, those are mostly sales out of inventory. Deliveries for both models should pick up once more half of May.

You miss a key point. Maxwell does indeed need a cash infusion. But so does Tesla to a much larger degree.
I absolutely dispute this. Tesla is going to be operating cashflow positive from now on, apart from deliberate inventory buildup; this isn't even hard at this point, as long as they can just manufacture enough cars! (Which I am keeping a close eye on.)

Note that buildup of inventory (mostly in transit) was -809 million cash, and the operating cash flow was -639 million in cash. At steady inventory, that would have been operating cash flow positive of 170 million. Not by enough to cover capex -- they need another $135 million in profit for that -- but that just means they need to produce more cars. They'll be building inventory for another couple of quarters, so they need to produce even more cars in order to do that. So it's all about producing enough cars.

Tesla's intention is to be (op cash flow - cap ex) positive from now on, and I think they can probably do it, if not in Q2, in Q3. If they do have a shortfall, they have $2.2 billion in totally unrestricted cash; they have an unused unrestricted borrowing capacity of about $415 million right now; and they have proven their ability to get more both for general purposes (the Warehouse line was expanded in Q1) and for specific purposes (including the China financing of the Shanghai Gigafactory, the $220 million in unused letters of credit, the Warehouse Agreement). (As a payer, you never want to need to use a letter of credit, but it means you pay on time even if you won't have the cash until next week, so it provides a backstop against bankruptcy.) There's also $485 million in restricted cash.

As long as Tesla manages to crank out the cars (which does remain a risk), they're not in danger of running out of cash.

Maxwell needs a cash-rich partner. Tesla is not it IMO.
Then who is? If there was a serious bidder, they would have made their counteroffer already. That's how mergers work: if there was a counteroffer, we'd have heard about it weeks ago already. That means Tesla's offer is the best offer on the table.

Btw, has there been any official explanation, why Tesla discontinued 75 version?
No, and now that the refresh has happened, there is a new Short-Range version available. Speculation is that in preparation for the refresh, they either ran out of parts specific to the 75, or they were going to run out of parts for everything and so concentrated on the higher margin cars.

Then who is? If there was a serious bidder, they would have made their counteroffer already. That's how mergers work: if there was a counteroffer, we'd have heard about it weeks ago already. That means Tesla's offer is the best offer on the table.
This reminds me of Albemarle buying the worlds largest lithium producer a few years back. I'm sitting there wondering why there aren't 9 parties fighting to own such a valuable operation, but that's just not how it works. When you're as far ahead as Tesla, there's nobody there to bid against you.