Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Google Translate
Mercedes gives up autonomous driving: "We can't win the race"

Profits are more important than innovation
For Mercedes, there are mainly economic reasons that Ola Källenius, as a new strong man, has conceded many of the lofty plans of his predecessor Dieter Zetsche. "The conversion to a mobility provider is a thing of the past," says the Mercedes spokesman. “We will move away from it again.” Obviously, the first experiences in this direction were sobering: “You can't make money with offers like car sharing,” says the Mercedes man and then it becomes clear: “Our investors expect not only sales, but especially profit. ”In other words: the dividend should be right - even in economically difficult times.

To achieve this, Källenius has cut research and development investments, among other things. The collaboration with BMW that had just begun was also terminated by mutual agreement. They wanted to share the horrendous development costs for autonomous driving with the Munich-based company. But it is now clear: A business model will not result from this in the next few years. As soon as the cooperation became known, trend researcher Mario Herger, who had already worked as a consultant for several German car manufacturers, scoffed from Silicon Valley: “Two companies that can't software now want to develop software.” It's in Munich too has become suspiciously quiet over the past few months when it comes to autonomous driving.

Paging @Artful Dodger

From Tesla's 10-Q:

That would be an average share price of $448.77 on the cap raise. I believe you had called a mid-400s average?

Also a fun fact... Elon's 2012 compensation still has a milestone that is not achieved:

1/4th of each award vests upon achieving an annualized gross margin of greater than 30% for any three-year period.

I hadn't noticed that this was a target for management. Puts the current margins in to some perspective, namely that we're only getting started!

ff62fd64eeee79620aa7ceaf1e7ba1fc.png

"we currently expectour capital expenditures to be at the high end of our range of $2.5 to $3.5 billion in 2020 and increase to $4.5 to $6.0 billion in each of the next two fiscalyears."

there probably is some news that hasn't been confirmed yet about another factory in the US. Tulsa? the 3Q update sheet as well as the 10Q both keep saying Roadster and Semi at *another US location*.

I do not have the faintest idea on how much investment Giga Berlin and Giga Texas needs, but the 10Q suggesting that capex will be a minimum of 11.5B until the end of next 2 FYs doesn't just look like expansions at theses factories.

upload_2020-10-26_9-25-28.png

upload_2020-10-26_9-22-17.png

Screen-Shot-2020-10-26-at-8.38.14-AM.jpg

As TSLA consistently will beat the S&P 500 index every year (ARK Invest believes up 45% YoY each year for the next five years), it will become increasingly clear that investing in TSLA is the easy way to beat the S&P. This will defeat the purpose of the index’s existence. In other words, S&P are only hurting themselves by not including TSLA.

there probably is some news that hasn't been confirmed yet about another factory in the US. Tulsa? the 3Q update sheet as well as the 10Q both keep saying Roadster and Semi at *another US location*.

But it doesn't say that. It just says that they haven't decided where yet. It could be Fremont, it could be GigaNevada, it could be GigaTexas, or it could be somewhere new. (My guess is the Roadster will be in Fremont.)

What do you think a business managing a robotaxi fleet would be willing to pay per car?
If the car's good for a million miles, then at $100,000 for FSD = $.10 USD / mile... That's cheaper than payroll tax for an employee driver, let alone their actual pay.

...as much as I want to agree with @Mo City .

Edited omitting a line...

Last edited:
Reactions: Nocturnal

I do not have the faintest idea on how much investment Giga Berlin and Giga Texas needs, but the 10Q suggesting that capex will be a minimum of 11.5B until the end of next 2 FYs doesn't just look like expansions at theses factories.

View attachment 602542

View attachment 602540

Screen-Shot-2020-10-26-at-8.38.14-AM.jpg

Arizona - Cheap living, top talent, good weather, and lots of sunshine to power the factories. He's probably waiting to make sure Mark Kelly (Astronaut) gets elected to the US Senate. Put some pressure on the Governor to get solar going here! Show Waymo here in Chandler how to drive?

But it doesn't say that. It just says that they haven't decided where yet. It could be Fremont, it could be GigaNevada, it could be GigaTexas, or it could be somewhere new. (My guess is the Roadster will be in Fremont.)

In that case I would have expected to see Roadster - In Development, under the Fremont listing. Similar to how the 3 is in development in Berlin and the Cybrtrk is in development at GigaTexas.

IMHO, Roadster could never come out of Fremont. Elon has alluded quite a few number of times about how the existing paint shop at Fremont is not up to standard, and given how brilliant the Roadster Red looks I don't think it will be the same paint shop at fremont that does the roadster. Yup, clutching at straws haha.

In that case I would have expected to see Roadster - In Development, under the Fremont listing. Similar to how the 3 is in development in Berlin and the Cybrtrk is in development at GigaTexas.

IMHO, Roadster could never come out of Fremont. Elon has alluded quite a few number of times about how the existing paint shop at Fremont is not up to standard, and given how brilliant the Roadster Red looks I don't think it will be the same paint shop at fremont that does the roadster. Yup, clutching at straws haha.

“We think, probably, also the Tesla Roadster, a future program, would also make sense in California,” Musk said during the company’s Q2 2020 Earnings Call.

not a done deal at all. the S&P can do whatever it wants; it's under no formal obligation to add any particular stock. they are free to leave any stock out as long as they want. furthermore, their deliberations and thought processes are opaque. there's just no way to know until they decide to tell us.

Exactly. My personal gut feeling about their thought process is: Q3 and Q4 are easy to make profitable, but Q1 has been the tough nut every year, so let's wait until Q1 is reported. If Tesla can maintain profitability through next Q1, then S&P will consider...

If the car's good for a million miles, then at $100,000 for FSD = $.10 USD / mile... That's cheaper than payroll tax for an employee driver, let alone their actual pay.

...as much as I want to agree with @Mo City .

Edited omitting a line...
Yes, and certainly cheaper than a Waymo driver (or remote operator) for the past 5 years... in every city? How is there any ROI for them? Someone surmised they would reduce to just Airport traffic or other high volume, routine trips.

Wow, that's gonna rack up some big bucks! I call Monopoly!

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed

IMHO, Roadster could never come out of Fremont. Elon has alluded quite a few number of times about how the existing paint shop at Fremont is not up to standard, and given how brilliant the Roadster Red looks I don't think it will be the same paint shop at fremont that does the roadster. Yup, clutching at straws Tesla’s Q2 2020 Earnings Call. haha.

FTFY. :p

Tesla (TSLA) Q2 2020 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool

Elon Musk -- Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer

"Now at the same time, I want to say, we will continue to grow in California, but we expect California to do Model S and X for worldwide consumption and 3 and Y for the western half of North America.

And then we think probably also the Tesla Roadster, a future program, would also make sense in California."​

[Insert appropriate Ben Franklin quote here]

Cheers!

Watching the FSD beta videos on Youtube over the weekend has moved me from thinking I might upgrade at some point in the future, to I definitely will upgrade, it's just a question of when. I wonder how many other owners are thinking the same.

Yegads, I'm in the same boat, but once again Tesla is bonkers with its pricing. For those of us that took them up on the EAP interim upgrade way back in ye olden days of checks notes one month ago, there's a $1k penalty to complete the upgrade to FSD compared to those that simply held their money until this month. (FSD from base is $8k, while base to EAP in Sept is $4k + $5k = $9k). It's one thing when Tesla raises the prices on those who didn't buy before a certain date. It's entirely another when they raise prices on those who did while not raising them on those who did not buy.